Author Topic: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"  (Read 67713 times)

Re: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
This is interesting but I don't see how it changes Danny's strategy, which IMO should be to wait at least until the deadline and probably until the end of the year.

It's possible to get high value even when a player openly wants out - and indeed other GMs will probably be low-balling Danny on the heels of this news. Wait until the dust settles unless there's a great deal on the table.

Let Rondo prove to the rest of the league that he's an attractive target (or try to anyway). As the year unfolds it may also open up some new trade possibilities (those are also exceedingly slim right now).

And it's important to note that if anything this improves the case for Rondo being a professional - none of this is coming from him, and he's still doing and saying all the right things even if he's quietly asking to be moved behind the scenes.

The only real loser in this story seems to be Jackie M., who is either (a) out of the loop as others have suggested, in which case she loses credibility, or (b) in the loop but ensuring that her sources in the organization clam up in the future.

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2014, 12:07:08 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Credit for this goes to DarkAzcura on RealGM.
Behind the scenes before going to air on 'Behind the Horn' this week.
Just a little off season banter from Jackie Mac. She seems to swear by it? Who's her source? There can't be that many people who would know about this. Hard part about watching this is realizing they are off air and she's just talking candidly about it.

*says he's told them he wants out
*says she's not sure who the Celtics can get any kind of equal value back from because the Knicks have nothing and Rondo has said he'll never re-sign in Sacramento.
*Interesting point she makes is that Doc is 'done' with Rondo, and Rondo drives him nuts.

While this isn't a comment on whether Rondo will get traded or not, you'd have to wonder how plugged in Jackie is when this was just in the globe.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/08/12/clippers-sale-steve-ballmer-goes-through/wzUdLhetoT7OQVkTKSa3uM/story.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rondo and Rivers have maintained a close relationship and the two have talked often this summer.

“Rondo’s going to be great this year,” Rivers said. “He’s going to be healthy. It’s the following year [after ACL surgery] that you become who you were. So I think Rondo will have a great year. And I think that will be great for the team.

“I do talk to Rondo. I don’t get into [his contract] because that’s an uncomfortable area for me and him, probably. So we don’t even touch that. I just think that he’s in a good frame of mind; that’s all that counts.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like she's just dredging up out of date comments (including the Kings and Thomas as a possible trade). If nothing else you can certainly see that she really wants the team to trade Rondo, whether any of the rest of it is accurate remains to be seen.

Tim even though they talk, doesnt mean doc wants to coach/work with Rondo again. IF chris paul was the main guy left over after kg and pp were traded , i bet rivers would have stayed

That's possible, but there's no evidence to support it at all. I doubt you could find a single comment from Doc either when he was leaving or in the time that he's been in LA that would point to that.

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2014, 12:10:24 PM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
I knew before I clicked on this thread there would be people in here discrediting Jackie Mac because her news doesn't fit what they want. Whether she breaks stories or not she has more sources and inside knowledge of the organization than any other local beat writer.

Does she saying this mean that Rondo being traded is a done deal? Obviously not, but I don't think shes just making up stories so she has something to talk about when she goes on ESPN.

I came here to post this sentiment, more or less, and it's only been reinforced over the last page or so.

that said, there's really nothing more to that video than riffing to fill up dead air.

Cool.

I came in to quote you since this is the 3rd time in 2 years that I know of for sure that she has said the same thing.

Wait.

Another time she said she was "hearing whispers within the organization"

Another time she said Rondo was "GONE"

I believe that was July....2013 and last month on the 11th

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 12:16:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo CAN'T be the leader of a good team. There's evidence about that during the last years (Proof#48: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/25/rajon-rondo-skips-celtics-trip-to-sacramento-without-permission-may-face-team-discipline/).

When KG, Paul and Ray were in town, he was an OK influence because he's a gamer, he's tough and he's talented. But he can only be a good influence if he's got someone "higher" than him in the hierarchy. On the floor, he stops the motion on offense because he overthinks the game; on deffense, he gambles a lot and doesn't even try most of the times. So, I'm wishing for years to open my computer, open CelticsBlog and see the title "Bye Rajon. And thank you".

Here's something on Rondo's leadership from people a little closer to the situation than you:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4710218/video-captain-rondo

Celtics first-year coach Brad Stevens said before the season that it was his preference to not name a captain and the Celtics were poised to go without a captain for the first time in 63 years. It appears Stevens and the team had a change of heart, though it shouldn't come as a surprise as his teammates have often gushed about Rondo's leadership even while rehabbing.

"I've always believed that captains name themselves with their leadership on and off the court,” Stevens told the team's web site. “This isn't about us naming Rondo captain. This is about him earning that title through his play as a Celtic, his accountability as a leader of this team, and his commitment to the Boston community."

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This is such BS to me.  She says" Rondo has already told them , I want out and will never re-sign with you " . There is no way in hell he would say that , because the C's can offer him 20 mil + more (if they want to sign him to the max) than any other team in the NBA , just like what happened with Melo staying in NY.

Plus the C's still have a lot of your prospects with good upside(Smart,KO,Sully) who could up their trade value by the deadline when some teams could be sellers . Plus tons of draft picks left .

Jackie seems like she is stroking her own ego " no one believes me "  Why would anyone believe a statement like "Rondo has told them flat out, I will never re-sign with you" ? 

A lot of things can change for the positive by the trading deadline , especially if the younger guys continue to develop and become borderline all-stars , which I think Sully and Smart have the chance to be, if they put in the work. Or they become trade chips for a bigger star at the deadline .

No way I'm trading Rondo for McLemore and filler , he is a top 5 PG in this league still , and will show it this year .

I didn't re-watch the clip but I believe she's talking about why Rondo has tried to shut down all the Kings trade rumors. He's talking about 'flat out, never re-signing with them' (the Kings).
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I like Jackie, but I don't believe this for a minute. I don't see Danny trading his captain and best player.

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2014, 12:37:14 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Hope it's true! Good riddance to this clown! smart is the leader of the next great C's team! Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone!

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
I knew before I clicked on this thread there would be people in here discrediting Jackie Mac because her news doesn't fit what they want. Whether she breaks stories or not she has more sources and inside knowledge of the organization than any other local beat writer.

Does she saying this mean that Rondo being traded is a done deal? Obviously not, but I don't think shes just making up stories so she has something to talk about when she goes on ESPN.

I came here to post this sentiment, more or less, and it's only been reinforced over the last page or so.

that said, there's really nothing more to that video than riffing to fill up dead air.

Cool.

I came in to quote you since this is the 3rd time in 2 years that I know of for sure that she has said the same thing.

Wait.

Another time she said she was "hearing whispers within the organization"

Another time she said Rondo was "GONE"

I believe that was July....2013 and last month on the 11th

It's hard to know the deeper context though. Is Jackie Mac's source saying he's gone if they don't get championship pieces? Because that must be the underlyer here.
Either get Rondo help or he's gone. Now that the Love deal...err..idea has fallen through, is she just putting a few pieces together that 'fit' what she was told some time ago and is stronger in her convictions?
 It's hard for me to believe that she'd make this up....although it is possible.
I don't question Jackie Mac's convictions and I believe that she's telling the truth about what she's heard.
Her confidence in this points to her having a strong source.

By the way I don't think her not knowing about Isiah Thomas has anything to do with it- why would she care if Isiah Thomas is traded? The guys were throwing ideas at her and she rang off a few suggestions she'd seen in the media for Rondo trades.

The troubling part for us is that she is willing to put her credibility on the line in the conviction that she's heard this from a place she trusts for information, and it ain't Tspence's twitter.

I want to know who is this source and when was the last time this was confirmed to her?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 12:58:00 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2014, 12:50:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I agree with some others throughout this thread and call "bull s" on Jackie MacMullan's "report."

It just doesn't add up.

Why are we suddenly hearing about this now and not earlier in the offseason?

Don't buy it.

That said, if it's true, I stand by my Brooklyn idea.

They would consider it for cap relief so they can be players in free agency in the next few years.

For the Celts, not only do they return to being competitive, but perhaps other free agents would now consider Boston because they'd have a better roster.

Also, I am not quite sure how the Celts "fleeced" the Nets in the KG/Pierce trade last year.

Brooklyn gave up 3 picks, but it's not like they became worse by adding KG and Pierce.

If they really want, give them one of their picks back.

Let's not forget, we also got strapped with Gerald Wallace's contract.

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2014, 12:54:14 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Hope it's true! Good riddance to this clown! smart is the leader of the next great C's team! Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone!

Smart hasn't played a single second of NBA action.

Let's not make the same mistake the Sox made with Bogaerts/Bradley and project unproven rookies as the next legends of the league.

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2014, 12:56:28 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
I like Jackie, but I don't believe this for a minute. I don't see Danny trading his captain and best player.

I imagine you probably thought he'd never trade Paul Pierce either. I'll admit I was unsure he'd pull the trigger until he did. Then I remember that he's Danny Ainge and he'd trade his mother if it made the Celtics better.

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2014, 12:59:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I imagine you probably thought he'd never trade Paul Pierce either. I'll admit I was unsure he'd pull the trigger until he did. Then I remember that he's Danny Ainge and he'd trade his mother if it made the Celtics better.

But I am not so sure trading Rondo makes us better.

I really hope he doesn't go through with that rumored awful Sacramento deal with McLemore, Wiliams and a pick.

That would be a disaster

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2014, 01:12:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2014, 01:17:09 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
Two bits of info here which are important.
The second bit is even more interesting.

1) I thought this was relevant and to me it gives her some credibility if you're looking for it...
http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/11033627/kevin-love-landing-boston-celtics-far-slam-dunk
 When Love came to Boston, Jackie Mac was pretty adamant that a deal wasn't looking good because we didn't have what Minnesota wanted. I mean if you read the article at the time she's got someone telling her almost EXACTLY what was going to happen. I mean it wasn't that hard to put those conclusions together but she was spot on.
 One quote at the time was :
'There's only one problem with all these dizzying (and highly speculative) scenarios: They are meaningless unless the first domino -- Love actually coming to Boston -- falls. According to team and league sources, that isn't happening any time soon because the Timberwolves are less than enamored with what Boston can offer them.

The conversation would have adopted a completely different tone had the Celtics landed the first, second or third pick in the draft. The Timberwolves, like everyone else, covet the opportunity to have a crack at one of the troika of Joel Embiid, Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker.'

2) What makes this recent 'Rondo wants out' claim by her more interesting is that in this same article about Love, she doesn't suggest that 'Rondo wants out'. She just says that he hasn't given the Celtics any guarantees that he's in for the long haul.

'If you are Kevin Love and can choose to join a team with top dogs Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah or Rondo and Jeff Green, which way are you leaning?
Remember, there's still no guarantee Rondo is sticking around for any of this. He does not want to languish with a young rebuilding team in the prime of his career. Can't say I blame him. He wants to play in a big market, which limits trade destinations for Boston, and he wants a max deal. He has not given the Celtics any guarantees he's in for the long haul.'

So three months ago she says Rondo hasn't given the Celtics any guarantees and wouldn't blame him if he explored free agency.
Now she says 'he's told them he wants out'.
Cal me crazy but she appears to be going off recent information-as in the last few months,

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2014, 01:18:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If Rondo is demanding a trade, it'll almost certainly happen one way or another.  Worst-case we'd probably try to S+T him in the offseason.

Of course, the "if" is the huge thing.  But there have been enough rumors around Rondo to make it seem plausible at least.  But we'll just have to wait and see what happens.