Poll

What grade would you give Ainge and the Celtics for this trade?

A
B
C
D
F

Author Topic: Boston getting Tyler Zeller and 1st rounder from Cavs and Thorton from Nets  (Read 42714 times)

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I like it, Danny :)

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
Moreover, for everyone's who's all pumped about cap space, our cap situation next summer is entirely unaffected by this trade. 

Actually, to be clear, the cap situation next summer IS affected by this trade: we now have less of it because of Zeller's contract.

Are we bringing in two max free agents next year?  How much cap space do we need?
that depends on a number of factors, but you can guesstimate a pair of max salaries would be at least in the $30m/year to $40m/yr range.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I gave the deal a "B," but not for any shortcoming on Ainge's part.  I think he did the absolute best he could possibly do given the circumstances, particularly with the TPE about to expire. 

However, it's hard to give it an "A" when this doesn't really change anything.  This deal doesn't make the Celtics a playoff team and it doesn't really get them much closer to acquiring someone like Love. 

Furthermore, while Thorton's expiring deal could be useful in a trade, there's a greater likelihood he goes the way of Kris Humphries and simply expires for us next summer.  While Tyler Zeller may prove to be a useful backup caliber center, there's a greater likelihood that he's a bust or a useful backup for someone else by the time we're relevant again.  And while there's a chance the pick brings value, there's a greater chance the pick is a bust. 

Again, none of this is a knock on Danny.  He did absolutely the right thing in making this deal.  There certainly are no sure things in sports. And Danny took something that was about to have no value and gave it value. 

I'm just not doing cartwheels around my house about it.

Take that back.  You can't possibly be serious with a 'B' grade ?  Did you see what he just did ?  Better yet, do you understand what he just did ?

He turned nothing into more assets, which is outstanding. But in terms of improving the Celtics next year....meh. And while everyone is excited about all of the cap space freed up for 2015 free agency, the next big time free agent to sign with the Celtics will be the first. That said, I think a 'B' grade can be justified.

Exactly, and this is largely a debate of semantics and subjectivity.  I repeatedly said in my last post that I'm a fan of this deal and that I don't think Ainge could have done any better with the hand he's dealt.  So I suppose I could give Ainge an "A" given the circumstances, just as a teacher (which I am), I could give a student an "A" under the circumstances if he/she wrote an essay for me on his/her I-Phone while being delayed in the airport the day before a due date. 

But that doesn't mean that the product would be all the impressive. 

And that's how I see it.  I'm happy with all the assets Danny picked up.  But none of them are really all that great and it's quite likely that none of them even end up helping us in the end.  Moreover, for everyone's who's all pumped about cap space, our cap situation next summer is entirely unaffected by this trade. 

So again, given the circumstances, this was a savvy move by Ainge that can potentially pay dividends later.  But given the reaction of some people on this board, you'd think we'd pulled off the second coming of the KG trade.

What alternative did you want with the TPE ?

I'm shocked if you can find a better deal than grabbing a 2nd year big man, a 1st round pick, and an expiring contract.  It's not the fact that this is a KG trade, it's the fact you gave up something that is a severely limited asset & got all of that for it.

What grade did you give Ainge on the Nets deal last year ?  Just curious.

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Moreover, for everyone's who's all pumped about cap space, our cap situation next summer is entirely unaffected by this trade. 

Actually, to be clear, the cap situation next summer IS affected by this trade: we now have less of it because of Zeller's contract.

Are we bringing in two max free agents next year?  How much cap space do we need?

That's a good point, but I think the point is this: because we've taken on over 10 million dollars worth of salary with Thorton, we now will "clear" 33 million this summer, which seems impressive.  Had we not made the deal, we would have "only" "cleared" 23 million.  But in either case, we'd be in the same position.  But due to the 33 million number, it seems that some people are thinking this trade somehow helps us next summer, which it doesn't. 

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Wow, looking at Zeller's splits, he had some big games when given the minutes towards the end of last season...

4/16 vs Brooklyn
26 min, 22 pts, 11 reb, 2 ast, 2 blk, 9-11 fg

4/12 vs Boston
26 min, 12 pts, 7 reb, 2 ast, 4-8 fg

4/9 vs Detroit
24 min, 18 pts, 6 reb, 2 blk, 9-11 fg

3/22 vs Houston
30 min, 23 pts, 7 reb, 3 ast, 1 blk, 10-16 fg

I think given starters minutes, this kid could give us some solid production.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
just checked zeller's stats. anyone know why his minutes decreased in his second year?
looks like he'd be good fit here, plenty of PT. liking this!
i think i remember him killing us a couple of times ::)

The main reason is probably because Anderson Varejao was healthier.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Anyone know the protection on the pick?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 287
just checked zeller's stats. anyone know why his minutes decreased in his second year?
looks like he'd be good fit here, plenty of PT. liking this!
i think i remember him killing us a couple of times ::)

The main reason is probably because Anderson Varejao was healthier.

I believe that Zeller had an appendectomy to start the season and missed a few weeks.

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1701

Top 10 protected in 2016-2018, unprotected in 2019 from what I've read.

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I gave the deal a "B," but not for any shortcoming on Ainge's part.  I think he did the absolute best he could possibly do given the circumstances, particularly with the TPE about to expire. 

However, it's hard to give it an "A" when this doesn't really change anything.  This deal doesn't make the Celtics a playoff team and it doesn't really get them much closer to acquiring someone like Love. 

Furthermore, while Thorton's expiring deal could be useful in a trade, there's a greater likelihood he goes the way of Kris Humphries and simply expires for us next summer.  While Tyler Zeller may prove to be a useful backup caliber center, there's a greater likelihood that he's a bust or a useful backup for someone else by the time we're relevant again.  And while there's a chance the pick brings value, there's a greater chance the pick is a bust. 

Again, none of this is a knock on Danny.  He did absolutely the right thing in making this deal.  There certainly are no sure things in sports. And Danny took something that was about to have no value and gave it value. 

I'm just not doing cartwheels around my house about it.

Take that back.  You can't possibly be serious with a 'B' grade ?  Did you see what he just did ?  Better yet, do you understand what he just did ?

He turned nothing into more assets, which is outstanding. But in terms of improving the Celtics next year....meh. And while everyone is excited about all of the cap space freed up for 2015 free agency, the next big time free agent to sign with the Celtics will be the first. That said, I think a 'B' grade can be justified.

Exactly, and this is largely a debate of semantics and subjectivity.  I repeatedly said in my last post that I'm a fan of this deal and that I don't think Ainge could have done any better with the hand he's dealt.  So I suppose I could give Ainge an "A" given the circumstances, just as a teacher (which I am), I could give a student an "A" under the circumstances if he/she wrote an essay for me on his/her I-Phone while being delayed in the airport the day before a due date. 

But that doesn't mean that the product would be all the impressive. 

And that's how I see it.  I'm happy with all the assets Danny picked up.  But none of them are really all that great and it's quite likely that none of them even end up helping us in the end.  Moreover, for everyone's who's all pumped about cap space, our cap situation next summer is entirely unaffected by this trade. 

So again, given the circumstances, this was a savvy move by Ainge that can potentially pay dividends later.  But given the reaction of some people on this board, you'd think we'd pulled off the second coming of the KG trade.

What alternative did you want with the TPE ?

I'm shocked if you can find a better deal than grabbing a 2nd year big man, a 1st round pick, and an expiring contract.  It's not the fact that this is a KG trade, it's the fact you gave up something that is a severely limited asset & got all of that for it.

What grade did you give Ainge on the Nets deal last year ?  Just curious.

Are you even reading my posts?  I've specifically said that I don't think Ainge could have possibly done better.  So, sure, I give him an "A' for effort.  I could also give you an "A" for effort if I sent you to a junkyard and told you to build me a car.  It doesn't mean that the car would be a car I'd want to drive. 

A "B" means good and this trade was good.  I just hesitate to give an "excellent" mark to a deal that has strong odds to have little impact on the franchise in the long term. 

As for the Nets trade, a lot can be learned from that.  It was also a good deal, but far from a homerun that some people thought.  All we heard about last year was how valuable Humphries's deal was going to be as an expiring contract or in a trade.  But people overlooked the fact that Pierce would have expired anyway and that Humphries ultimately ended up having no value in a trade.  And that's one reason why I'm not automatically counting on Thorton being so valuable in a deal. 

As for the picks, I like them.  But again, we'll have to see how they pan out before we judge the trade.  If Ainge strikes out or merely picks up future role players, the Pierce/KG trade ends up being rather insignificant.  And given the Russian's deep pockets and the wretchedness of the East, I wouldn't hold my breath on the Nets going into full tank mode anytime soon.  If anything, their acquisition of Jack today shows they are doing everything in their power to stay in the playoffs. 

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

That's a good point, but I think the point is this: because we've taken on over 10 million dollars worth of salary with Thorton, we now will "clear" 33 million this summer, which seems impressive.  Had we not made the deal, we would have "only" "cleared" 23 million.  But in either case, we'd be in the same position.  But due to the 33 million number, it seems that some people are thinking this trade somehow helps us next summer, which it doesn't.

It doesn't help next summer but having more expiring salaries on the books for the coming season could theoretically help make a deal before the deadline.

For example, a wannabe playoff contender might fancy Thornton before the trade deadline.

Mike

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Any source?

Thanks. TP

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820

Any source?

Thanks. TP

I have a WOJ source somewhere in this thread probably in the first 6 pages.

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

It doesn't help next summer but having more expiring salaries on the books for the coming season could theoretically help make a deal before the deadline.

For example, a wannabe playoff contender might fancy Thornton before the trade deadline.

Mike

With Thornton, Bass and Anthony's expirings..... Ainge has enough to take back a max salary without sending out any long term money.  He won't handcuff whomever he trades with.

Huge move.

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3069
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
LOL when looking at my twitter feed this morning knew there was a Woj bomb with 189 unread tweets. When can this trade be official or is it already, if Cleveland doesn't land LBJ can they back out?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk