Poll

What grade would you give Ainge and the Celtics for this trade?

A
B
C
D
F

Author Topic: Boston getting Tyler Zeller and 1st rounder from Cavs and Thorton from Nets  (Read 43014 times)

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If Lebron signs with Cleveland, can't Cleveland use the Larry Bird rights to sign Deng?  Would think they would do that.

Is the trade subject to Cleveland signing Lebron, or a done deal?

I'm assuming Cavs may have to renounce Deng's rights to have the space to sign LeBron.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Re: Poll: Grading the Celtics in 3-way trade
« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2014, 11:33:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I gave him an A. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:15:37 PM by wdleehi »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
If Lebron signs with Cleveland, can't Cleveland use the Larry Bird rights to sign Deng?  Would think they would do that.

Don't have time to do the math, but if there's enough cap space to sign LeBron while retaining Deng's cap hold (not renouncing his rights), then yes they can sign him.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Trades like this have never been subject to the team getting a player in FA. My guess is that they've gotten the head-nod from Lebron and now need to clear space. But this is happening regardless...Danny wouldn't risk the TPE if he thought it could fall through.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I'm assuming Cavs may have to renounce Deng's rights to have the space to sign LeBron.

Looking at their roster at a quick glance, I think they may be able to fit him in. Unless also they could have an agreement from LeBron, then do a deal for lesser than the cap hold with Deng, sign him first, then sign LeBron.

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12

Chris Broussard        ? @Chris_Broussard
Follow

Sources: Cavs pursuing Ray Allen

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
How does Danny keep fleecing the nets?

Cleveland's first rounder, not NJ's. edit: Brooklyns.

I don't see why the Nets do this to help out the Cavs, though.

Exactly he's fleecing the Cavs here not the Nets.....  That's why he got the TPE, collecting assets...

The Cavs haven't been fleeced.  They get rid of Jack (who they didn't want) and they can now get LeBron.

TP. This blog loves the term fleeced! Someone always has to be fleeced in a trade.

Sometimes, it is just a good trade. Nice work Danny.

Re: Poll: Grading the Celtics in 3-way trade
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2014, 11:39:47 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Unreal return for simply taking on an expiring salary. LOVE IT.

1st rounder!
Zeller (6'11.25" barefoot)!
Thorton (scorer on an expiring that is February trade bait)!

The Thornton deal will be a good trade asset. I like Zeller's size and mobility. 1st rounder. All good w/ me. Well done.

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

Chris Broussard        ? @Chris_Broussard
Follow

Sources: Cavs pursuing Ray Allen

And Mike Miller apparently? Miami 2.0 in Cleveland?

Become Legendary.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Obviously I love the deal, but just to point out to anyone who thinks Zeller is a potential solution to our starting center problem: he has a 8'8" standing reach. That's THE lowest number for a center prospect in the last 5 drafts, and 6th lowest for a PF prospect. He has the standing reach of an average NBA SF. He will simply never be a serviceable rim protector.

Can he crash the offensive boards, score efficiently in the pick-and-roll, and occasionally step out to hit the 18 footer? Absolutely, but if he's doing that as part of a championship winning Celtics team, it will be in limited minutes off the bench.

A note about measurements like standing reach: some players intentionally short arm their reach so it makes it look like they can jump higher, as their jump is just their vertical minus their reach.  Not sure if that's what Zeller did or not, but the best number to look at when comparing players is max vert reach.  He put up an 11' 6.5" number there, which is still below average, but not the worst ever, and better than Nicola Vucevic and Greg Monroe.  No step vert reach also gets rid of this gaming of the combine -- there Zeller is below Vucevic but ahead of Monroe.

I'm not saying Zeller is amazing -- he's not.  I'm just trying to provide context to his measurements.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Woj with the realness:

Cavs have unloaded huge assets for player they likely won't keep (Deng) and player they haven't yet signed (James). They better get him.
https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/486897409323442176
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I think you need 3 years at a team to get Bird rights...

No, you need 3 years without getting waived from a team. As he's traded so are his bird rights.

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
How does Danny keep fleecing the nets?

Cleveland's first rounder, not NJ's. edit: Brooklyns.

I don't see why the Nets do this to help out the Cavs, though.

Exactly he's fleecing the Cavs here not the Nets.....  That's why he got the TPE, collecting assets...

The Cavs haven't been fleeced.  They get rid of Jack (who they didn't want) and they can now get LeBron.

TP. This blog loves the term fleeced! Someone always has to be fleeced in a trade.

Sometimes, it is just a good trade. Nice work Danny.

This is a very rare opportunity to use "serviceable," "legit," and "fleeced" all in the same post. You better believe that I'm ransacking the internet for a scouting report that compares Zeller's stride to that of a gazelle.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I merged the poll to the main topic to keep the discussion to one thread.

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
I always thought Tyler was out for much of his rookie year with a broken cheek bone, but looking at his stats he played in 70 games.

The following highlight video from 2012 shows what happened. Forward to the 2:35 mark.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm69CCpa3bg