Author Topic: If Mcdermott is available by our 2nd 1st pick  (Read 52273 times)

Re: If Mcdermott is available by our 2nd 1st pick
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 03:14:14 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Let me guess Kyle Korver shouldn't be in the league, and if the celtics could get him we would all vote against picking him up.

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2014, 03:15:10 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
Let me guess we should draft a big man from overseas instead.

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2014, 03:18:48 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I want to go on record here as saying that McDermott might be the right pick even as high as six. And should definitely be in the mix in the 5-10 range. After Embiid, Wiggins, Parker Exum and Smart, I am fine with Danny taking McDermott. This kid can flat out score, he's 6' 8" with four years of college. And as others have said, even as an elite shooter only,  will have a place in the league. I prefer him to either Aaron Gordon (offensively very limited) or Julius Randle ( dont see him as dominant at the NBA level given his skill set) or Vonleh (who really needs more time in school). I think he is legitimately in the mix before the tenth pick.
He can't defend in the NBA (I mean he doesn't defend in college!), that seriously limits his value even with his elite shooting.

He can be hidden, due to Rondo's elite defensive ability to defend both guard slots, and even occasional SFs.

However, you can really only have one guy you need to hide. Right now, that's Olynyk. Likely, Olynyk will never be a good enough defensive player that someone can hide a poor defensive player with him on the floor.

So, for our team, McDermott projects as a bench player. Here's the question: would you be comfortable drafting a bench player at 6? At 7? What if you knew he'd be a good bench player?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:25:50 PM by jaketwice »

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2014, 03:19:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Let me guess we should draft a big man from overseas instead.

Let me guess , you really want Mcdermott as a Celtic =]

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2014, 04:14:43 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
How bad of a defender is this guy?  I've seen him play a fee times and he didn't appear to be horrific defensively.  Is this more about him being white and not terribly athletic?

Mike

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 04:24:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
How bad of a defender is this guy?  I've seen him play a fee times and he didn't appear to be horrific defensively.  Is this more about him being white and not terribly athletic?

Mike

Not as bad as people say. He will get burnt by some players in the nba but it won't be for example Paul George with 25 points to nothing. Mcdermott will cause his damage on the offensive end also

I would be more concerned with a guy that is a bad team defender vs Individual defender.  Mcdermott is a good team defender and sb be for the NBA.  Individually he is going to occasionaly need help/bailed out.

I don't think you can nitpick his shortcomings for a guy that is going to be available at 17-20 (3rd scoring option, 6th man).  If he was considered a top 10 pick, i would have some issues drafting him (mediocre defender) as i have issues drafting Parker in the top 3.

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2014, 04:50:17 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
Let me guess because Jabari Parker is not a good defender we shouldn't draft him with a top 3 pick.

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2014, 05:06:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Let me guess because Jabari Parker is not a good defender we shouldn't draft him with a top 3 pick.

yes. But don't worry it won't be a problem we will have. The way the team is playing these days, we will be lucky to be picking in the top 5.

Danny should of traded Humphries, Bass, AB and Green while he had the chance. At worse he could of pulled what the 76rs did and stock up on 2nd round pick and assure themselves of a top 3 pick

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2014, 10:34:02 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The way Scoop is talking, McDermott will end up being the most special player out of this draft.

We might not get him with out first 1st round pick.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10560303/jackson-creighton-doug-mcdermott-worthy-top-draft-pick

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
McDermott isn't a good team defender. He doesn't get steals or blocks, and isn't a very good defensive rebounder. He's okay with defensive rotations but he's not quick even for a college PF and doesn't consistently make multiple efforts defensively.

Kyle Korver had more steals/blocks in each of his last three years of college than McDermott has had his entire college career.

And as good as McDermott is offensively, he's limited because he can't create off the bounce and sometimes struggles to get the ball when denied aggressively. Now as a complimentary player he'll be dynamite with his shooting, but that's in less demand than the sort of offense a player like Parker can give you.

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2014, 10:42:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The way Scoop is talking, McDermott will end up being the most special player out of this draft.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10560303/jackson-creighton-doug-mcdermott-worthy-top-draft-pick
If he goes higher than our worst case pick 7th - 10th (roughly) I'd be shocked.

But a good tournament run makes teams do dumb things and abandon their broad evaluations of players.

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2014, 10:46:13 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
From the little I've watched him, he reminds me a lot of Wally. Is that a fair comparison, or just superficial?
How he can come off screens and shoot or sort awkwardly (but effectively) drive after  over-aggressive close outs yeah.

I don't ever recall Wally working so much in the post. McDermott spends the majority of his time working in the post and then poping out for screens as a counter against most defenders.

I worry about it translating as smoothly because Creighton basically runs its offense like he's Dwight Howard when its humming. He's in with 4 shooters with the bonus of transition 3s, screens, and other counters when they can't deliver the ball into the post.

Not something I expect to see work in the NBA.

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2014, 11:15:18 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Typical Scoop Jackson.  :(

Looks like he wrote another article looking to get some splashy attention. Does he really think McDermott should be the number one pick in the draft?

He cherry picks a lot of comparisons and facts. Yes the points total is great. But he has taken 140 games to get there. Larry bird got to a similar number in 94 games.

Let's see if McDermott can be as good as Wally Szczerbiak or Keith Van Horn, before we jump to Bird and Dirk, or even Kevin Love.

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2014, 11:37:17 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
McDermott is slower even than Kyle Korver, which is really scary at the next level.  Lavine is a completely unknown quantity at this point.  I'd rather grab somebody like PJ Hairston or James Young.

Mcdermott vs Korver on a straight sprint might be slower, but in terms of who has a higher motor, that would go to Mcdermott. Mcdermott has an elite level motor

There is absolutely no way to measure this. At all. Zero. None.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2014, 11:38:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Let me guess Paul pierce was such a great defender.

Pierce was a much better defender than you're giving him credit for with statements like that.

He went toe-to-toe with LeBron in the early 00's, after all, and often came out even if not on top.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.