Poll

Would you keep it together or blow it up?

Keep it together - Bring in "win now" talent on short term deals.
Blow it up - Start trading "win now" guys for expiring contracts and picks.

Author Topic: If you were Ainge, would you keep it together or blow it up? (Poll)  (Read 6894 times)

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Personally, I'm on the "blow it up" bandwagon. I think the 2014 draft is too good to avoid to have a non contending playoff team.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
I suppose I am in the "keep it together" category.

I don't see much added value in blowing it up this summer versus mid-season unless you are willing to dump Rondo as well as Pierce and Garnett and I don't really want to do that. Lose Rondo I mean.

We'll win too many games with Rondo here to have realistic expectations of a top five pick. Rondo has to go too (along with Pierce and KG) if Ainge blows it up.

I would be searching hard for an additional star. A low level type star. Someone like Josh Smith or Paul Millsap. To go along with Garnett, Rondo and one of Pierce/Green. A big four type setup with strong role players like Sullinger and Bradley.

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Leaning towards blowing it up simply because I don't see KG returning after another long 82 game season.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Keep it together for another year.  Reevaluate after Rondo comes back.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Depends entirely on the offers that we get in the offseason. I'm not interested in blowing it up for the sake of blowing it up. Unless we can convince some teams to give us some real value for our Vets I'd rather watch KG and PP for another year with Rondo and Sully back in the fold.

That being said I'm leaning towards blowing it up. I think the Clippers would be happy to give up Bledsoe and some picks for KG following their first round exit and looking to keep Paul around. And Pierce showed he still has some value (especially if he isn't the main cog) and I think teams like Golden State, Clippers, Utah, San Antonio could all be interested in adding an expiring vet contract for another run.

Picking up those kinds of assets for your vets who are literally on the verge of retirement is too good value to pass up.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I don't see much added value in blowing it up this summer versus mid-season unless you are willing to dump Rondo as well as Pierce and Garnett and I don't really want to do that. Lose Rondo I mean.

We'll win too many games with Rondo here to have realistic expectations of a top five pick. Rondo has to go too (along with Pierce and KG) if Ainge blows it up.

I would be searching hard for an additional star. A low level type star. Someone like Josh Smith or Paul Millsap. To go along with Garnett, Rondo and one of Pierce/Green. A big four type setup with strong role players like Sullinger and Bradley.

the c's were 6 games under 500 with a healthy roster with Rondo this year, what makes you think the c's are going to be to good to be in the high lottery if there is no KG or PP?

Plus we all know regular season rondo is not the same as playoff Rondo.

Try to trade Lee, Terry and Bass for expirings or trade exceptions .

Keeping the team together to get booted early in the playoffs makes no sense, especially when there are franchise players in the 2014 draft .

Worst case scenario is c's get a top 5-10 pick . They now have a trade chip to bring in another legit player to add to rondo and green, or maybe they even trade the pick along with rondo or green to get a superstar or all-star .

Either drafting a stud young guy , or using the pick to make a big trade are better options than staying with a team that will only continue to get worse .

Offline Who

• James Naismith

the c's were 6 games under 500 with a healthy roster with Rondo this year, what makes you think the c's are going to be to good to be in the high lottery if there is no KG or PP?

Plus we all know regular season rondo is not the same as playoff Rondo.

Try to trade Lee, Terry and Bass for expirings or trade exceptions .

Keeping the team together to get booted early in the playoffs makes no sense, especially when there are franchise players in the 2014 draft .

Worst case scenario is c's get a top 5-10 pick . They now have a trade chip to bring in another legit player to add to rondo and green, or maybe they even trade the pick along with rondo or green to get a superstar or all-star .

Either drafting a stud young guy , or using the pick to make a big trade are better options than staying with a team that will only continue to get worse .

PG: Rondo, Terry
SG: Bradley, Lee
SF: Green, FA
PF: Sullinger, Bass
C:  FA, FA

If Danny sign some capable free agents, that could easily be a 35-40 win squad. If Danny sign barely adequate free agents, that should win 30-33 games. If Danny goes out of his way to sign absolute and utter garbage that hurt the team and make it worse, approx 25 wins.

There is a pretty decent talent base there even without KG and Pierce. And if you take anything back in KG + Pierce trades, like DeAndre Jordan, that will only make it more difficult to lose enough games to get a top five pick. Imagine that lineup with DeAndre Jordan and a solid backup behind him. That is a .500 team.

Like I said, there is a pretty good talent base there. It would take a pretty big blow-up job beyond Pierce and Garnett to get that team down near the bottom of the league.

It would still have a star player in Rondo. Two good young talents in Bradley and Sullinger. A solid starter in Jeff Green. A very good backup to adequate starter in Courtney Lee. A very good backup PF in Bass. Plus, Jason Terry. There is some talent there. The squad would need to be pared down further (beyond just KG, Pierce) to get to the bottom of the league.

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

More ping pong balls helps, doesn't it? The idea is to be in the running for a top pick. If we play .500 ball up to the deadline it would be totally fruitless to blow it up.

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Wow, it is early in the voting but I'm amazed that it is 9 to 4 in favor of win now and keeping this team together another year. To me it is just time to move on.

Offline Who

• James Naismith

More ping pong balls helps, doesn't it? The idea is to be in the running for a top pick. If we play .500 ball up to the deadline it would be totally fruitless to blow it up.

Here are the odds for getting the #1 pick

1    250 combinations, 25.0% chance of receiving the #1 pick
2   199 combinations, 19.9% chance
3    156 combinations, 15.6% chance
4    119 combinations, 11.9% chance
5    88 combinations, 8.8% chance
6    63 combinations, 6.3% chance
7    43 combinations, 4.3% chance
8    28 combinations, 2.8% chance
9    17 combinations, 1.7% chance
10    11 combinations, 1.1% chance
11   8 combinations, 0.8% chance
12    7 combinations, 0.7% chance
13    6 combinations, 0.6% chance
14    5 combinations, 0.5% chance

Less than a 1 in 10 chance if you do not finish with one of the four worst records in the league.Only a 1 in 33 chance if you finish with the 8th worst record in the league falling to 1 in a 100 if you have the 10th worst.

The odds are terrible.

If you stretch it out to getting into the top three, the 6th worst team has a one in five chance at a top 3 pick (80% chance of not getting a top three pick) while the 7th worst team has a one in six chance (~85% chance of not getting top 3 pick) and the 8th worst team falls to one in ten (90% chance of not getting top 3 pick). And so on and so on. 

Those are just awful percentages. 

The Celtics need to finish near the absolute bottom of the league to have a good chance at one of the top five picks and to do that they will need to blow up their roster beyond just Garnett and Pierce. If that is the plan, I can get behind it but I have little to no interest in halfway measures that see Boston in that 8th-12th zone.

Re: If you were Ainge, would you keep it together or blow it up? (Poll)
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Here are the odds for getting the #1 pick

1    250 combinations, 25.0% chance of receiving the #1 pick
2   199 combinations, 19.9% chance
3    156 combinations, 15.6% chance
4    119 combinations, 11.9% chance
5    88 combinations, 8.8% chance
6    63 combinations, 6.3% chance
7    43 combinations, 4.3% chance
8    28 combinations, 2.8% chance
9    17 combinations, 1.7% chance
10    11 combinations, 1.1% chance
11   8 combinations, 0.8% chance
12    7 combinations, 0.7% chance
13    6 combinations, 0.6% chance
14    5 combinations, 0.5% chance

Less than a 1 in 10 chance if you do not finish with one of the four worst records in the league.Only a 1 in 33 chance if you finish with the 8th worst record in the league falling to 1 in a 100 if you have the 10th worst.

The odds are terrible.

If you stretch it out to getting into the top three, the 6th worst team has a one in five chance at a top 3 pick (80% chance of not getting a top three pick) while the 7th worst team has a one in six chance (~85% chance of not getting top 3 pick) and the 8th worst team falls to one in ten (90% chance of not getting top 3 pick). And so on and so on. 

Those are just awful percentages. 

The Celtics need to finish near the absolute bottom of the league to have a good chance at one of the top five picks and to do that they will need to blow up their roster beyond just Garnett and Pierce. If that is the plan, I can get behind it but I have little to no interest in halfway measures that see Boston in that 8th-12th zone.

That's exactly my point, though. Why would you keep it together until the deadline if you are using that logic? Blow it all the way up this offseason to ensure we stink.

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 11:55:56 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Blow it up is a big word. And DA did show till know capabilities to rebuilt a team after 2007-08. Sincerely if you keep the the trio Green+PP+KG, this team with some important upgrades, can be a contender

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 12:02:19 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Blow it up is a big word. And DA did show till know capabilities to rebuilt a team after 2007-08. Sincerely if you keep the the trio Green+PP+KG, this team with some important upgrades, can be a contender

yea upgrades like dwight howard and paul george....::)

no doubt they will be contenders

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 12:04:10 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40

yea upgrades like dwight howard and paul george....::)

no doubt they will be contenders

If you hate DH12 is your problem not mine... ???

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 12:05:50 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Keep it together and reignite Rondo trades as soon as he's marketable again, which is precisely what I think Ainge and Wyc are going to do - unless Pierce and Garnett retire.

I have no interest in paying an offensively-challenged ambivalent defender anything close to the money he'll seek in his next deal. Now is the time to move Rondo.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."