Author Topic: Do you like our chances against New York in the first round?  (Read 9881 times)

Re: Do you like our chances against New York in the first round?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 09:33:36 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Two key factors to me:

1. The Celts have an edge in playoff experience, at least for the lead players. And many of the Knicks (Prigioni, Felton, Shumpert etc.) have little to no playoff experience.

2. Pierce seems to bring his 'A' game against the Knicks, averaging over 25ppg against them over the last four seasons with some huge games at the Garden.

I think we'll steal game 1. After that, I think it will boil down to their adjustments vs. our ability to play top-level defense for 48 minutes per game.

I think we either win in 6 or lose in 7.

1 couldn't be further from the truth.  Jason Kidd, Tyson Chandler, Melo, Wallace, Martin, Smith, Camby and Stoudemire all have extensive playoff experience.  Contrary to popular belief, outside of Terry, Pierce, KG, and Bass, we have little playoff experience.  The Knicks are the vet team.  We are the ones who have Bradley, Lee, Green, Crawford, Wilcox, Williams, Randolph and White who have played few to none playoff games in their career.

I said "lead players." No one on the Knicks has experience on a par with Pierce and Garnett except Kidd, and Kidd is hardly a key player for the Knicks.

Both Garnett and Pierce have played more playoff games than the probable Knicks starting lineup combined.

Knicks 5 lead players are Kidd, Felton, Melo, Stoudemire (who is returning for the playoffs as far as I know), Chandler. Our 5 lead players are Bradley, Terry, Pierce, Green and KG.  Hard to say we have an edge there.  There is no contest after that as far as experience is concerned.  Sheed and Camby have probably played more playoff games than all the rest of our players combined.

OK, you are defining "lead" a bit differently than I did - I was talking about the top 2-3 players on each team.

Even among the players you mention, I would not take Sheed's and Stoudemire's experience too seriously. Sheed hasn't played in 3 months, Stoudemire more than a month.

So then you are left with Kidd, who I think is a secondary player.

Chandler and Melo have made one deep playoff run each.

I personally think that Pierce, Garnett and Terry's experience trumps the Knicks'.

Whether this gives the Celts an edge or not is probably something you can debate.

But I really take issue with your statement that what I said "couldn't be further from the truth." Don't you think that was a little over the top?

Not at all.  The truth is that the Knicks have MUCH more playoff experience in their locker room.  The Celtics have a team full of people with very little playoff experience. 

Our top three players have more experience than their top three  players, but that is an entirely arbitrary line to draw.  The more rotation players you include after that the more experience the Knicks have over our roster. 

It was true for the past few years when we said we had more experience because we had Rondo, Ray, Paul, KG, Perk and Baby who all had a lot of experience playing together deep into the playoffs season after season.  We also had veterans like Posey, Brown, Jermaine O'Neal, Shaq, Wallace, Collins, Dooling, Pietrus, Barbosa etc. to add to our core. 

We are playing this post-season without Rondo and Ray.  We also have no weathered veteran coming off the bench except Terry.  We do have multiple rotation players who have barely seen any time in the playoffs (Bradley, Wilcox, Williams, Crawford, Randolph and White) and others who have seen one or two seasons worth (Lee, Green).  It is very misleading to say that we have an advantage in experience against the Knicks. 

Prignoni may not have NBA playoff experience, but at 35 he's actually has a ton of experience playing deep into the post season internationally.  Sheed, Camby, Martin, JR Smith, Stoudemire all have a lot of playoff experience and contribute a lot of minutes combined when healthy.  It doesn't make any sense to disregard their experience simply because they are not the top 2-3 players.  You need 5 people on the floor, and at least three more heavy rotation players to play a game of basketball.

This is the issue, I guess. I would be more inclined to agree with you if those guys were healthy and certain to be part of the "heavy rotation."

But right now Camby has played 12 minutes in the last 13 games after suffering a fascia injury.

Wallace has not played since December 13 after suffering a stress fracture and having surgery; he "hopes" to return some time in the playoffs.

Stoudemire has not played since 3/9 and his return for the first round is "uncertain."

Martin has a sprained ankle and has missed 5 out of the last 6 games.

Heck, Chandler has missed 14 of the last 18 games with a back injury.

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 10:09:28 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
What are the chances Amare actually returns?
DKC Suns

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 12:53:37 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Two key factors to me:

1. The Celts have an edge in playoff experience, at least for the lead players. And many of the Knicks (Prigioni, Felton, Shumpert etc.) have little to no playoff experience.

2. Pierce seems to bring his 'A' game against the Knicks, averaging over 25ppg against them over the last four seasons with some huge games at the Garden.

I think we'll steal game 1. After that, I think it will boil down to their adjustments vs. our ability to play top-level defense for 48 minutes per game.

I think we either win in 6 or lose in 7.

1 couldn't be further from the truth.  Jason Kidd, Tyson Chandler, Melo, Wallace, Martin, Smith, Camby and Stoudemire all have extensive playoff experience.  Contrary to popular belief, outside of Terry, Pierce, KG, and Bass, we have little playoff experience.  The Knicks are the vet team.  We are the ones who have Bradley, Lee, Green, Crawford, Wilcox, Williams, Randolph and White who have played few to none playoff games in their career.

I said "lead players." No one on the Knicks has experience on a par with Pierce and Garnett except Kidd, and Kidd is hardly a key player for the Knicks.

Both Garnett and Pierce have played more playoff games than the probable Knicks starting lineup combined.

Knicks 5 lead players are Kidd, Felton, Melo, Stoudemire (who is returning for the playoffs as far as I know), Chandler. Our 5 lead players are Bradley, Terry, Pierce, Green and KG.  Hard to say we have an edge there.  There is no contest after that as far as experience is concerned.  Sheed and Camby have probably played more playoff games than all the rest of our players combined.

OK, you are defining "lead" a bit differently than I did - I was talking about the top 2-3 players on each team.

Even among the players you mention, I would not take Sheed's and Stoudemire's experience too seriously. Sheed hasn't played in 3 months, Stoudemire more than a month.

So then you are left with Kidd, who I think is a secondary player.

Chandler and Melo have made one deep playoff run each.

I personally think that Pierce, Garnett and Terry's experience trumps the Knicks'.

Whether this gives the Celts an edge or not is probably something you can debate.

But I really take issue with your statement that what I said "couldn't be further from the truth." Don't you think that was a little over the top?

Not at all.  The truth is that the Knicks have MUCH more playoff experience in their locker room.  The Celtics have a team full of people with very little playoff experience. 

Our top three players have more experience than their top three  players, but that is an entirely arbitrary line to draw.  The more rotation players you include after that the more experience the Knicks have over our roster. 

It was true for the past few years when we said we had more experience because we had Rondo, Ray, Paul, KG, Perk and Baby who all had a lot of experience playing together deep into the playoffs season after season.  We also had veterans like Posey, Brown, Jermaine O'Neal, Shaq, Wallace, Collins, Dooling, Pietrus, Barbosa etc. to add to our core. 

We are playing this post-season without Rondo and Ray.  We also have no weathered veteran coming off the bench except Terry.  We do have multiple rotation players who have barely seen any time in the playoffs (Bradley, Wilcox, Williams, Crawford, Randolph and White) and others who have seen one or two seasons worth (Lee, Green).  It is very misleading to say that we have an advantage in experience against the Knicks. 

Prignoni may not have NBA playoff experience, but at 35 he's actually has a ton of experience playing deep into the post season internationally.  Sheed, Camby, Martin, JR Smith, Stoudemire all have a lot of playoff experience and contribute a lot of minutes combined when healthy.  It doesn't make any sense to disregard their experience simply because they are not the top 2-3 players.  You need 5 people on the floor, and at least three more heavy rotation players to play a game of basketball.

This is the issue, I guess. I would be more inclined to agree with you if those guys were healthy and certain to be part of the "heavy rotation."

But right now Camby has played 12 minutes in the last 13 games after suffering a fascia injury.

Wallace has not played since December 13 after suffering a stress fracture and having surgery; he "hopes" to return some time in the playoffs.

Stoudemire has not played since 3/9 and his return for the first round is "uncertain."

Martin has a sprained ankle and has missed 5 out of the last 6 games.

Heck, Chandler has missed 14 of the last 18 games with a back injury.

Jason Kidd - Pablo Prignoni
Raymond Felton - JR Smith - Iman Shumpert
Carmelo Anthony - Steve Novak
Amare Stoudemire - Kenyon Martin - Rasheed Wallace
Tyson Chandler - Marcus Camby

This is probably the Knicks playoff rotation. 
If Stoudemire and/or Chandler doesn't play then Martin, Wallace and Camby would have to play BIG minutes.  Even if both were fully healthy, two of Martin, Wallace and Camby would have to back them up with at least 10 minutes each.

In any case the true value of veteran leadership is their influence in the locker room and how they can keep the team focused and driven.  This is the role Dooling, Barbosa and other vets have played for us in the past, and they are ready to step in if needed i.e. when Bradley and Rondo got hurt. 

The point remains that the Knicks are stacked with experience.  Also lingering injuries always come with experience.  KG, Ray and Paul have been fighting through injuries in all they post seasons for us, just like the Knicks and the Lakers this year. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 01:04:26 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Any official word on when our first game is?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 06:36:13 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If KG's foot isn't too bad then I like our chances.
Knicks fans aren't worried enough about Chandler's shoulder.
He's been out a long time and could barely play when he last hit the court. KG will be elbowing and bumping that shoulder all night and I can't wait :)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 06:41:32 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I am not really concerned about a possible Amare return since he has been out so long.

I doubt he'd be able to play at a high level with all that time on the sidelines. I think he'll need some games to play himself back into shape. NYC probably wouldn't see the best of him until sometime in round two if it all.

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 06:51:44 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
series of "BAR FIGHTS".          ;D

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Do I like our chances against New York in the first round?

Really hoping for the best and not sure what to expect. If the C's lost 4 straight, it wouldn't surprise me but neither would them beating the Knicks.

Really lol? The celtics getting swept by anyone would surprise me let alone the knicks.

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2013, 08:01:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983

JET please land in MSG   ;)

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2013, 08:42:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Yes.  In fact I think Boston should be favored in the series.  The Knicks are the one good eastern conference team where Boston actually has good match-ups pretty much across the board. 

Boston in 6 against the Knicks.  Sadly I believe Indiana is a horrid match-up for Boston so I don't see Boston advancing past them (or Chicago for that matter - Atlanta though would be a great 2nd round match-up for Boston).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:22:42 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2013, 09:21:27 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

JET please land in MSG   ;)

That JET's been out of service for the season.  Goodluck getting it to fly, not alone land in MSG

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2013, 09:56:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yes.  In fact I think Boston should be favored in the series.  The Knicks are the one good eastern conference team where Boston actually has good match-ups pretty much across the board. 

Boston in 6 against the Knicks.  Sadly I believe Indiana is a horrid match-up for Boston so I don't see Boston advancing past them (or Chicago for that matter - Atlanta though would be a great 2nd round match-up for Boston).
The thing is that Indiana plays such a similar style that I think that it'd be a pick em series (assuming the C's are playing well enough to be in the second round).

Both are extremely limited offensive teams who grind it out defensively.

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2013, 10:15:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

The thing is that Indiana plays such a similar style that I think that it'd be a pick em series (assuming the C's are playing well enough to be in the second round).

They play a similar style but they are bigger, deeper, younger, and better. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2013, 10:21:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

They play a similar style but they are bigger, deeper, younger, and better.
They're not that much deeper, I mean are you hanging your hat on Mahimi/Hansborough/Green? They're bigger certainly but Garnett is not a guy Hibbert is comfortable defending as he pulls him out of the paint.

They're heavily reliant on offensive boards to score any points at all, a tougher match up for Boston than New York but not a blow out in the making like you paint.