Author Topic: Do you like our chances against New York in the first round?  (Read 9885 times)

Re: Do you like our chances against New York in the first round?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 195
Basing it solely on this years team...um no.
Taking into consideration recent playoff runs..yes

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
Even if we do lock down on JR Smith, Melo still have his other 3-point shooters to look out for: Jason Kidd, Steve Novak, Pablo Prigioni, Raymond Felton, and Chris Copeland.

So, it will be a tough series. These guys are almost like the Orlando Magic of 2009, where we've struggled beating guys from the perimeter like Hedo Turkoglu, Rashard Lewis, Courtney Lee, Rafer Alson, Tony Battie, and Dwight Howard inside.

In my mind, Knicks in 6.
In my heart, Celtics in 6.
Hahah  :-\

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Two key factors to me:

1. The Celts  have an edge in playoff experience, at least for the lead players. And many of the Knicks (Prigioni, Felton, Shumpert etc.) have little to no playoff experience.

2. Pierce seems to bring his 'A' game against the Knicks, averaging over 25ppg against them over the last four seasons with some huge games at the Garden.

I think we'll steal game 1. After that, I think it will boil down to their adjustments vs. our ability to play top-level defense for 48 minutes per game.

I think we either win in 6 or lose in 7.

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 05:58:36 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1655
no. knicks in 5!!!!!!!!!!!!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1655
Why wouldn't you like your chances against NY? They are one-dimensional. This is a team that lives and dies by the 3. Granted Melo is playing ball on a whole different level, but lets be real here, you put KG on him and there is no way he goes off for 40-50.

Hate you guys, but rooting for you to make the ECF and rape Miami.

Good luck gang green.

we hate you too but i respect you! i do not respect the miami cheat. looks like both of us loathe that team in miami.  ;)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 06:07:32 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'm confident we can get past the 1st round, I don't know how much farther after that.

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 07:00:22 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Two key factors to me:

1. The Celts  have an edge in playoff experience, at least for the lead players. And many of the Knicks (Prigioni, Felton, Shumpert etc.) have little to no playoff experience.

2. Pierce seems to bring his 'A' game against the Knicks, averaging over 25ppg against them over the last four seasons with some huge games at the Garden.

I think we'll steal game 1. After that, I think it will boil down to their adjustments vs. our ability to play top-level defense for 48 minutes per game.

1 couldn't be further from the truth.  Jason Kidd, Tyson Chandler, Melo, Wallace, Martin, Smith, Camby and Stoudemire all have extensive playoff experience.  Contrary to popular belief, outside of Terry, Pierce, KG, and Bass, we have little playoff experience.  The Knicks are the vet team.  We are the ones who have Bradley, Lee, Green, Crawford, Wilcox, Williams, Randolph and White who have played few to none playoff games in their career.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 07:12:57 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
40% chance.

And 40% again in round 2 against Indy or Chicago.

And 45% in the ECF against Brooklyn.

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 07:23:40 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
Two key factors to me:

1. The Celts have an edge in playoff experience, at least for the lead players. And many of the Knicks (Prigioni, Felton, Shumpert etc.) have little to no playoff experience.

1 couldn't be further from the truth.  Jason Kidd, Tyson Chandler, Melo, Wallace, Martin, Smith, Camby and Stoudemire all have extensive playoff experience.  Contrary to popular belief, outside of Terry, Pierce, KG, and Bass, we have little playoff experience.  The Knicks are the vet team.  We are the ones who have Bradley, Lee, Green, Crawford, Wilcox, Williams, Randolph and White who have played few to none playoff games in their career.

I said "lead players." No one on the Knicks has experience on a par with Pierce and Garnett except Kidd, and Kidd is hardly a key player for the Knicks.

Both Garnett and Pierce have played more playoff games than the probable Knicks starting lineup combined.

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 07:47:28 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
Two key factors to me:

1. The Celts have an edge in playoff experience, at least for the lead players. And many of the Knicks (Prigioni, Felton, Shumpert etc.) have little to no playoff experience.

I said "lead players." No one on the Knicks has experience on a par with Pierce and Garnett except Kidd, and Kidd is hardly a key player for the Knicks.

Both Garnett and Pierce have played more playoff games than the probable Knicks starting lineup combined.

Knicks 5 lead players are Kidd, Felton, Melo, Stoudemire (who is returning for the playoffs as far as I know), Chandler. Our 5 lead players are Bradley, Terry, Pierce, Green and KG.  Hard to say we have an edge there.  There is no contest after that as far as experience is concerned.  Sheed and Camby have probably played more playoff games than all the rest of our players combined.

Our advantage against the Knicks is our youth, speed, athleticism and coaching.  They clearly have the advantage in experience, continuity and size. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 07:51:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Do I like our chances against New York in the first round?

Really hoping for the best and not sure what to expect. If the C's lost 4 straight, it wouldn't surprise me but neither would them beating the Knicks.

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 08:03:29 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2984
impossible to tell with this team.   Wouldn't be surprised to se us sweep them or Knicks sweep the Celtics....or anything in between .

Celtics basketball is like predicting the weather

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 08:16:17 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
Two key factors to me:

Knicks 5 lead players are Kidd, Felton, Melo, Stoudemire (who is returning for the playoffs as far as I know), Chandler. Our 5 lead players are Bradley, Terry, Pierce, Green and KG.  Hard to say we have an edge there.  There is no contest after that as far as experience is concerned.  Sheed and Camby have probably played more playoff games than all the rest of our players combined.

OK, you are defining "lead" a bit differently than I did - I was talking about the top 2-3 players on each team.

Even among the players you mention, I would not take Sheed's and Stoudemire's experience too seriously. Sheed hasn't played in 3 months, Stoudemire more than a month.

So then you are left with Kidd, who I think is a secondary player.

Chandler and Melo have made one deep playoff run each.

I personally think that Pierce, Garnett and Terry's experience trumps the Knicks'.

Whether this gives the Celts an edge or not is probably something you can debate.

But I really take issue with your statement that what I said "couldn't be further from the truth." Don't you think that was a little over the top?

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
Two key factors to me:

OK, you are defining "lead" a bit differently than I did - I was talking about the top 2-3 players on each team.

Even among the players you mention, I would not take Sheed's and Stoudemire's experience too seriously. Sheed hasn't played in 3 months, Stoudemire more than a month.

So then you are left with Kidd, who I think is a secondary player.

Chandler and Melo have made one deep playoff run each.

I personally think that Pierce, Garnett and Terry's experience trumps the Knicks'.

Whether this gives the Celts an edge or not is probably something you can debate.

But I really take issue with your statement that what I said "couldn't be further from the truth." Don't you think that was a little over the top?

Not at all.  The truth is that the Knicks have MUCH more playoff experience in their locker room.  The Celtics have a team full of people with very little playoff experience. 

Our top three players have more experience than their top three  players, but that is an entirely arbitrary line to draw.  The more rotation players you include after that the more experience the Knicks have over our roster. 

It was true for the past few years when we said we had more experience because we had Rondo, Ray, Paul, KG, Perk and Baby who all had a lot of experience playing together deep into the playoffs season after season.  We also had veterans like Posey, Brown, Jermaine O'Neal, Shaq, Wallace, Collins, Dooling, Pietrus, Barbosa etc. to add to our core. 

We are playing this post-season without Rondo and Ray.  We also have no weathered veteran coming off the bench except Terry.  We do have multiple rotation players who have barely seen any time in the playoffs (Bradley, Wilcox, Williams, Crawford, Randolph and White) and others who have seen one or two seasons worth (Lee, Green).  It is very misleading to say that we have an advantage in experience against the Knicks. 

Prignoni may not have NBA playoff experience, but at 35 he's actually has a ton of experience playing deep into the post season internationally.  Sheed, Camby, Martin, JR Smith, Stoudemire all have a lot of playoff experience and contribute a lot of minutes combined when healthy.  It doesn't make any sense to disregard their experience simply because they are not the top 2-3 players.  You need 5 people on the floor, and at least three more heavy rotation players to play a game of basketball. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 09:02:56 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
For reference, these are the total minutes played in playoffs by each Celtic (numbers in parenthases represent how many full games that would mean)

Paul Pierce: 5153 (107.35)
Kevin Garnett: 4821 (100.44)
Jason Terry: 3076 (64.08)
Brandon Bass: 1114 (23.21)
Courtney Lee: 550 (11.46)
Jeff Green: 397 (8.27)
Avery Bradley: 248 (5.16)
Shavlik Randolph: 4 (0.08)
Jordan Crawford: 0 (0.00)
DJ White: 0 (0.00)
Chris Wilcox: 0 (0.00)
Terrence Williams: 0 (0.00)

Most notable is Chris Wilcox, who in his 11th season and on his 6th team, has still never played one second in the playoffs. Hope he gets some PT this year... #WinForWilcox
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"