Author Topic: Do you like our chances against New York in the first round?  (Read 9879 times)

Re: Do you like our chances against New York in the first round?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Do I like our chances against New York in the first round?

Really hoping for the best and not sure what to expect. If the C's lost 4 straight, it wouldn't surprise me but neither would them beating the Knicks.

Really lol? The celtics getting swept by anyone would surprise me let alone the knicks.
For two calendar months this team has played below .500 and Atlanta and GSW are about the only good teams they have beaten in that time. They have also been an atrocious away road team this year.

So as much as I want them to do well and beat the Knicks, especially since my hate for the Knicks is so strong(it usually is in older guys that remember the 70's), I am just not sure given the injuries and inconsistent play of this team whether they can do it.

I don't think that the C's getting swept is completely out of the possibility given what I have seen from them this year.

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Really hoping for the best and not sure what to expect. If the C's lost 4 straight, it wouldn't surprise me but neither would them beating the Knicks.

Really lol? The celtics getting swept by anyone would surprise me let alone the knicks.
For two calendar months this team has played below .500 and Atlanta and GSW are about the only good teams they have beaten in that time. They have also been an atrocious away road team this year.

So as much as I want them to do well and beat the Knicks, especially since my hate for the Knicks is so strong(it usually is in older guys that remember the 70's), I am just not sure given the injuries and inconsistent play of this team whether they can do it.

I don't think that the C's getting swept is completely out of the possibility given what I have seen from them this year.

Even if they are a bad road team in order for them to get swept the knicks have to beat them *The celtics* twice at home, not happening man lol. I'm so confident it won't happen that I will do something I normally don't do which is be extremely cocky about my stance.

There's not a chance in hell this knicks team sweeps the celtics. I know the celtics good enough to not completely overreact to some regular season losses and mediocre play in games they don't care about.

I know its frustrating to watch but this is the playoffs. This celtics team is capable of playing really good basketball when they bring it for 48mins. Something they rarely do in the regular season which is why I don't base everything off of that.

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2013, 02:44:08 PM »

Online j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Even if they are a bad road team in order for them to get swept the knicks have to beat them *The celtics* twice at home, not happening man lol. I'm so confident it won't happen that I will do something I normally don't do which is be extremely cocky about my stance.

There's not a chance in hell this knicks team sweeps the celtics. I know the celtics good enough to not completely overreact to some regular season losses and mediocre play in games they don't care about.

I know its frustrating to watch but this is the playoffs. This celtics team is capable of playing really good basketball when they bring it for 48mins. Something they rarely do in the regular season which is why I don't base everything off of that.
are people forgetting well be without Rondo? And all the new guys we have that aren't playoff tested? I mean we usually thrive in the playoffs but Rondo has been a big part of that these past few years, don't see us getting swept but if we lost in 5 or 6 it wouldn't even surprise me
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I think the C's are bad enough to get swept, but I don't think the Knicks are mentally focused enough to sweep the C's, if that makes any sense.

Good grief. I hope "well, we took one from the Knicks in the first round" doesn't become the silver lining we are forced to take away from the 2012-13 season.

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Lookout though, the Knicks just signed a secret weapon for the playoffs:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/41450/knicks-sign-quentin-richardson

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2013, 03:52:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Sure do.

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

are people forgetting well be without Rondo? And all the new guys we have that aren't playoff tested? I mean we usually thrive in the playoffs but Rondo has been a big part of that these past few years, don't see us getting swept but if we lost in 5 or 6 it wouldn't even surprise me

Yeah we know we're without rondo. We're just done bringing it up every 5 mins. Hes not on the team this year. I'm focusing on the guys that will be playing. We didn't have AB or JG when we faced the heat last year either.

Two very important pieces. We'll see what happens if we get that far. I'm still picking the heat if we face them. Then again, Id be picking the heat even if rondo was playing, so......

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Chances are
Cs 40%, NYK 60%

Cs have to step up and play MUCH Better if they like to move on and "delelete' NYK

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
I guess long as KG is alive and on the court , the C's should win at least a home game. ;D

Can't see Pierce and KG letting the Knicks sweep us.   

Rondo would come in very handy right now .  He is all about these big games.

Sorta seems NY fans are pretty confident they will destroy the Celtics ,  but that might be a bit premature given the history of these clubs.

I like PP and KG having another rest day .  I think tonight off works to the C's advantage.

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2013, 09:25:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I am not really concerned about a possible Amare return since he has been out so long.

Depending on how one feels about about Amare, one might be more concerned that Amare won't return so he can make a negative impact on the team.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Yes.  In fact I think Boston should be favored in the series.  The Knicks are the one good eastern conference team where Boston actually has good match-ups pretty much across the board. 

Boston in 6 against the Knicks.  Sadly I believe Indiana is a horrid match-up for Boston so I don't see Boston advancing past them (or Chicago for that matter - Atlanta though would be a great 2nd round match-up for Boston).
The thing is that Indiana plays such a similar style that I think that it'd be a pick em series (assuming the C's are playing well enough to be in the second round).

Both are extremely limited offensive teams who grind it out defensively.
They play a similar style but they are bigger, deeper, younger, and better.
They're not that much deeper, I mean are you hanging your hat on Mahimi/Hansborough/Green? They're bigger certainly but Garnett is not a guy Hibbert is comfortable defending as he pulls him out of the paint.

They're heavily reliant on offensive boards to score any points at all, a tougher match up for Boston than New York but not a blow out in the making like you paint.
when did I say blow out.  I said Indiana was a horrid match-up and didn't see Boston advancing past them.  I think Boston would win a couple of games in the series though, just because Boston has to much fight not to. 

Indiana is much deeper than Boston, especially if Granger plays.  With Granger they are 10 deep and even without him they still have a quality 9 person rotation (which is fine for the post season). Hibbert/West/George/Stephenson/Hill with Mahinmi/Hansborough/Granger/Green/Augustin

I mean Boston will likely have to play Shavlik Randolph heavy minutes in the playoffs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yes.  In fact I think Boston should be favored in the series.  The Knicks are the one good eastern conference team where Boston actually has good match-ups pretty much across the board. 

Boston in 6 against the Knicks.  Sadly I believe Indiana is a horrid match-up for Boston so I don't see Boston advancing past them (or Chicago for that matter - Atlanta though would be a great 2nd round match-up for Boston).
The thing is that Indiana plays such a similar style that I think that it'd be a pick em series (assuming the C's are playing well enough to be in the second round).

They're not that much deeper, I mean are you hanging your hat on Mahimi/Hansborough/Green? They're bigger certainly but Garnett is not a guy Hibbert is comfortable defending as he pulls him out of the paint.

They're heavily reliant on offensive boards to score any points at all, a tougher match up for Boston than New York but not a blow out in the making like you paint.
when did I say blow out.  I said Indiana was a horrid match-up and didn't see Boston advancing past them.  I think Boston would win a couple of games in the series though, just because Boston has to much fight not to. 

Indiana is much deeper than Boston, especially if Granger plays.  With Granger they are 10 deep and even without him they still have a quality 9 person rotation (which is fine for the post season). Hibbert/West/George/Stephenson/Hill with Mahinmi/Hansborough/Granger/Green/Augustin

I mean Boston will likely have to play Shavlik Randolph heavy minutes in the playoffs.
When you say another team is "bigger/younger/deeper/better" and a "horrid matchup" that doesn't indicate you think it'll be a six game series to me.

Why do you bring up Granger anyways? He's out for the season and has hardly played this year anyways.

Overall I don't rate Mahinmi/Hansborough/Green as highly as you do I guess.

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I am not really concerned about a possible Amare return since he has been out so long.

Depending on how one feels about about Amare, one might be more concerned that Amare won't return so he can make a negative impact on the team.
It could go either way, it'd be a wildcard for sure. I'd say its much more likely he'd hurt the Knicks while playing himself back into the rotation and shape during the playoffs.

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2013, 10:44:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

When you say another team is "bigger/younger/deeper/better" and a "horrid matchup" that doesn't indicate you think it'll be a six game series to me.

Why do you bring up Granger anyways? He's out for the season and has hardly played this year anyways.

Overall I don't rate Mahinmi/Hansborough/Green as highly as you do I guess.
They are bigger, younger, deeper, and better.  The season has borne all of that out.  That doesn't mean they will sweep.  They aren't the Heat (and even against them I think Boston wins at least 1). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2013, 10:54:21 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No, not really.

NY is playing excellent ball right now, the C's are not.

Hoping for the best, though.