Author Topic: "The National Basketball Association has lost its way. I feel like crying."  (Read 4902 times)

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Every now and then, Simmons still has his fastball. This was one of those pieces. He writes big picture stuff really well. His basketball analysis is awful though.

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
This is the first thing to give me hope in the NBA since that bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. Carmelo trade

Offline Chelm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
This is the first thing to give me hope in the NBA since that bull**** Carmelo trade
I couldn't disagree more.

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Of all people, you'd think Simmons would see the folly in filling out your salary cap for multiple years with the core of Jack/Martin/Ariza/Scola/Okafor.  That's exactly the kind of situation the Bucks, the Bobcats, the Pacers and the Rockets have been trying to escape.  It's small market hell: a full payroll, no marketable stars, not good enough to make a real playoff run, not bad enough to get draft picks. 

Meanwhile the Lakers got to add a superstar and actually improve their trade flexibility (retained their best young trade chip, their draft picks and acquired a fat trade exception).  And the Rockets got to dump the core of their long-term mediocrity on to the Hornets.

The Lakers and Rockets got away with murder in that trade, not so much to their own benefit (though they certainly did benefit) but as to the destruction of the Hornets.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Of all people, you'd think Simmons would see the folly in filling out your salary cap for multiple years with the core of Jack/Martin/Ariza/Scola/Okafor.  That's exactly the kind of situation the Bucks, the Bobcats, the Pacers and the Rockets have been trying to escape.  It's small market hell: a full payroll, no marketable stars, not good enough to make a real playoff run, not bad enough to get draft picks. 

Meanwhile the Lakers got to add a superstar and actually improve their trade flexibility (retained their best young trade chip, their draft picks and acquired a fat trade exception).  And the Rockets got to dump the core of their long-term mediocrity on to the Hornets.

The Lakers and Rockets got away with murder in that trade, not so much to their own benefit (though they certainly did benefit) but as to the destruction of the Hornets.

If that's the best the small markets can do, then they gotta do it.

It's better than zero.

Indiana made it to the Finals and their star was Larry Bird, the head coach.

Reggie Miller may have been the Pacers franchise player, but he isn't a franchise player. He was never a superstar.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
What Simmons misses is that the Lakers were in a position to offer more than others (including the Celtics) because Paul had already let it be known he would sign an extension with them.  Somehow,this disparity in markets (where a player can dictate his relative value to each club) was not addressed in the new CBA, and is one reason why the rich keep getting richer.  It's like OWS all over again, with the top 1% benefitting from the existing rules. It is a load of BS for BS to say that Paul just wanted to play for a storied franchise, since he made it clear to another storied franchise (our beloved) that he would not sign an extension. 

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
How good would that New Orleans Hornets team be if they managed to sign Chauncey Billups?

Chauncey Billups and Kevin Martin in the backcourt. Ariza doing the dirty work on the wing. A very strong big man rotation with Scola, Odom and Okafor. A pair of high quality backup PGs in Jarrett Jack and Goran Dragic.

That team wouldn't be too far off being a contender.

Online Who

• James Naismith
How good would that New Orleans Hornets team be if they managed to sign Chauncey Billups?

Chauncey Billups and Kevin Martin in the backcourt. Ariza doing the dirty work on the wing. A very strong big man rotation with Scola, Odom and Okafor. A pair of high quality backup PGs in Jarrett Jack and Goran Dragic.

Obviously, it would be a long shot that they could get Chauncey Billups.

I guess what I am trying to say is that they were one big piece away from having something really good there with that new lineup. However, they'd need an awful lot of luck to pull it off because they don't have many assets left.

Personally, I'd rather watch that New Orleans team for the next 2-3 years and rebuild then than start a full-blown rebuilding process right now. There is a lot of likeable players on that roster. They'd play a nice brand of basketball.

Offline Chelm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28

I agree.  I don't think anyone has a legitimate argument against the trade.  I mean, the Lakers would be so weak up front and the Hornets would have one hell of a good rotation.  Add in the fact that CP3 is leaving anyway (as much as people might hate that star players have this power, it is completely inevitable).

Dan Gilbert & Co. aren't making their voices heard for the betterment of the Hornets, they are solely doing it for their own clubs' interests.

Re: "The National Basketball Association has lost its way. I feel like crying."
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 11:17:25 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Dan Gilbert & Co. aren't making their voices heard for the betterment of the Hornets, they are solely doing it for their own clubs' interests.
Agreed

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I don't agree. Not far off a contender?
They would be swimming in mediocrity for 5 years.
They'd never get past the Lakers, Mavs, Thunder or Grizzlies.
A bunch of guys who are a bit past their prime and Kevin Martin jacking up more shots than Iverson each game.

I mean if you want to make sure you keep ticket holders next year I guess you have to say yes, but the Hornets will suck just as much as they do right now and continue to lose money, and eventually relocate to Seattle or some other place.

Can't see how this core goes anywhere but a first round exit, maybe 2nd round if they shot well.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 11:28:36 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Simmons needs to calm down.

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 11:32:36 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't now. The Hornets need an owner and want to keep the team where they are. Hard to get an owner to buy a team way over the luxury tax, especially if they were losing money in the first place.

And I don't like this superstars dictating where they're going, but I guess they can do it now when they say they aren't coming back. It's actually sorta nice to give the team a heads up. Unlike Lebron.

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 11:33:06 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
This is the first thing to give me hope in the NBA since that bull**** Carmelo trade
I couldn't disagree more.

I do, the Knicks really overpaid.