Author Topic: CB Draft Western Conference Finals: Kings (1) Vs Blazers (2)  (Read 32490 times)

Re: CB Draft Western Conference Finals: Kings (1) Vs Blazers (2)
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2011, 02:19:08 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Well can we worry about Billups declining speed, poor shot selection, and degrading body?

Billups this past season

16.8 ppg  2.6 rpg  5.4 apg 1 spg .427 fg%  .402 3pt%  on 11 fg pg

Lowry

13.5 ppg  4.1 rpg  6.7 apg 1.4 spg .426fg% .376 3pt% on 10.8 fg pg

So if Billups has bad shot selection i guess that makes sense why he is shooting .427 from the field, whats Lowry,s excuse?   Bad shooter?

Did you see the other post I had after that?

Because Lowry really improved on those numbers once he was allowed the keys to the truck.

I saw your post but im not really buying it, you are talking about an increase in 3 minutes per game, what you call the keys to the truck I call a hot streak.  I need to see performance over the course of a full season before I can buy into it.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2011, 02:20:07 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Well can we worry about Billups declining speed, poor shot selection, and degrading body?

Billups this past season

Lowry

So if Billups has bad shot selection i guess that makes sense why he is shooting .427 from the field, whats Lowry,s excuse?   Bad shooter?

Can Billups be that type of player if the ball is in Lebron's hand? 

I think if Mo Williams could put up those types of numbers on a Lebron team Chauncey will be able to so as well.

So you see Billups as Mo Williams?  

Well I see him as Mo williams with a better Basketball IQ and more leadership qualities.  I think the roles they play on the team would be fairly similar.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2011, 02:22:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Billups this past season

Lowry

I think if Mo Williams could put up those types of numbers on a Lebron team Chauncey will be able to so as well.

Well I see him as Mo williams with a better Basketball IQ and more leadership qualities.  I think the roles they play on the team would be fairly similar.

That makes me lean towards Portland having the advantage at PG spot.  Billups playing like he has in the past, would have the advantage.  Asking him to play most of the time without the ball, I don't see him being as effective. 

« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
for both teams....
i can assess players and read about your schemes/strategies. i am one of the only people i have seen that consistently factors coaching into each vote i make.  make a case for why your coach is better than the other.

for the kings...
how does lawrence frank manage lbj if he is "choking", appears to be giving up, and his "diva" moments.

thanks in advance

Well im not sure if anybody has been able to figure out what to do if Lebron appears to be choking, but i can tell you what I would do.  I would say you are the horse that we have ridden all season, we will live and die with you.  Draw up plays for Lebron and force him to be aggressive. 

Lebron's biggest downfall is when he becomes unsure of himself and starts becoming a passive player. 

I just read the book Red and Me over vacation and Bill talked about how Red always thought that when i guy started getting down on himself most of the time the guys just needed some shots and to feel like he is part of the game and get some confidence back on his side.  That is what we will do with Lebron. 

Either that or give him some prozac

« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2011, 02:26:53 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Billups this past season

Lowry

That makes me lean towards Portland having the advantage at PG spot.  Billups playing like he has in the past, would have the advantage.  Asking him to play most of the time without the ball, I don't see him being as effective. 

I guess i misremember Mo Williams Role on that team, I remembered him being the primary ball handler when Lebron wasnt controlling the play and having the second highest usage on the team.  I meant to say that he would be one of our secondary scorers but would still be playing the pg role that he always had.

« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Billups this past season

Lowry

Because Lowry really improved on those numbers once he was allowed the keys to the truck.

I saw your post but im not really buying it, you are talking about an increase in 3 minutes per game, what you call the keys to the truck I call a hot streak.  I need to see performance over the course of a full season before I can buy into it.

Kyle Lowry vs Heat:
25 pts, 7 rebs, 8 assists
Serge Ibaka vs Portland:
18 pts, 8 Rebs, 2 Blocks, 78% shooting

Kyle Ibaka, Y'all!

We're sorry.

Is that what you wanted?! Are you happy now?!

Listen here Tuff Guyz, I'm not a huge fan of that tone!

EDIT: Also, its gonna take more than one guy's apology to make this right. I'm gonna need 3 or 4 minimum.

I loved Serge, not a lowry guy, but your making me rethink my position.  

So you didn't really rethink anything, did ya? Cuz after that game he went out there and scored 16 to pair with 10 assists. This continued until it was clear the Rockets were out of the playoff picture and he was shelved.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2011, 02:30:30 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Billups this past season

Lowry

Kyle Lowry vs Heat:
25 pts, 7 rebs, 8 assists
Serge Ibaka vs Portland:
18 pts, 8 Rebs, 2 Blocks, 78% shooting

Kyle Ibaka, Y'all!

We're sorry.

Is that what you wanted?! Are you happy now?!

Listen here Tuff Guyz, I'm not a huge fan of that tone!

EDIT: Also, its gonna take more than one guy's apology to make this right. I'm gonna need 3 or 4 minimum.

I loved Serge, not a lowry guy, but your making me rethink my position.  

So you didn't really rethink anything, did ya? Cuz after that game he went out there and scored 16 to pair with 10 assists. This continued until it was clear the Rockets were out of the playoff picture and he was shelved.

IP I said I would rethink my position, I saw a box score against a team that I hated and said to myself maybe he isnt so bad afterall.  But again I need to see that for a full season.  Chauncey has been playing at a high level for the past 7-8 years.

« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2011, 02:30:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Gotta checkout for a while, but everyone check out this post in the meantime:

My 'No-Spin Zone' take on this matchup:

This is my attempt to honestly assess the series. I know I'm not impartial. I'm not pretending to be. I'm just telling you how I see it, as impartially as I can.

First off, it won't be easy for either team. LeBron James and the Kings are a well put together squad, with talented players, adequate depth, and the single greatest talent in basketball. Aside from LeBron, the Blazers have better players at every other position, although the point and the center positions, I'm sure Nick will contest. I believe my players to be better, and I've seen a lot of Chauncey Billups and a lot of Lowry last year, and a lot of Bogut and a lot of Chandler.

How my team wins:

Offense:
Kyle Lowry continues his stellar play from the first two rounds of the playoffs and is just much too fast and athletic for Billups to check and keep out of the lane. Lowry's penetration puts strain on Tyson Chandler and LeBron James's help defense, allowing Lowry to find cutters like Amare Stoudemire, Derrick Williams, and Andrew Bogut for easy buckets.

James Harden plays a 2-man game with Amare Stoudemire, attacking the weakest front-court defender (Millsap) while further pursuing Harden's advantage over Matthews, and building upon Harden's growing rep as one of the best young pick and roll ball handlers from the 2 guard.

Delfino limits LeBron's ability to help by knocking down the open 3pt shots he does have, after Lowry and Harden are forcing the defense to collapse.

Amare Stoudemire plays very well in his minutes at the 5, taking Tyson Chandler to task like he did last season, and forcing Chandler out to the perimeter, allowing Lowry/Harden/Williams more room to work.

Andrew Bogut holds a sizeable advantage over Chandler. He's managed to be a primary or secondary option against Chandler over the last 2 years and still shoot 59% (that's a heck of an accomplishment) while taking over 10FGA's a game. His deft passing will allow for lots of opportunities for my shooters when Matthews or LeBron has to help.

Defense:

Lowry dominates Chauncey Billups on defense because of Billups' new role as spot-shooter and part-time ball handler.

Carlos Delfino keeps LeBron James under 30 points for 4 or more of the possible 7 games.

Paul Millsap does not improve on his performance against Amare as a starter.

Andrew Bogut, and Amare Stoudemire are the twin towers you need when playing against LeBron. Both good help defenders, both big bodies that block shots, and will force LeBron into more passes and contested layups than he's comfortable with.

James Harden keeps Wes Matthews at his current H2H shooting %'s.

Lowry, Delfino, Harden, and Bogut's good defensive sensibilities and athleticism cut off LeBron's passing lanes, and make it harder for his passes to find paydirt.

How I could lose:

1) Paul Millsap plays like he did against Miami last season as a real threat from the post, and from the mid-range. LeBron's passes out of the post to Millsap are a lot more deadly if he's strokin his jumpers.

2) LeBron eats up Carlos Delfino on a regular basis. It'll happen once or twice anyways, but if it happens more often than it doesn't happen, I'm in a big pile of stinky LeBron.  

3) Chauncey Billups has a Renaissance series. If Billups is hitting everything over Lowry's outstretched hands and making solid passes while still allowing LeBron room to operate, its a problem. Lowry has the athleticism and strength to contest Billups on the outside, but there was a time 5 years ago where that didn't matter.

4) Derrick Williams collapses under the pressure of LeBron's All-NBA defense and the largeness of the moment.

5) Nobody on my team steps up to lead when the chips are down. They've gotten to the conference finals and that's all the pressure they can take.

Why I think I can win:

Playoff Experience Matters..but it also isn't the end of the world for me.
-My guys aren't starting from scratch here. They've already won 8 playoff games against two very talented teams. They've beaten Garnett and Pierce, they've beaten Boozer/Westbrook. They've already got some pretty serious experience.

My point is; its not like they're starting from scratch each new round. My team is building on each of the last 2 matchups, they're gelling more, coming together. You say they've got no playoff experience. I say my starters have already weathered at least 10 games and won at least 8. For Nick's team, this is not as substantial. For my team, this is critical.

-I'm kinda losing faith in LeBron as a leader. He deferred to Wade, and it likely cost them a championship. He quit on the Cavaliers during his last year there before he even got to the conference finals. He fled Cleveland so he wouldn't have to be the Alpha-Dog, and has reacted poorly to adversity all season, coming off more as a petulant child than a true leader of men. Billups is a great leader in his own right, but he could never tame Carmelo. Why is he capable of taming LeBron?

-I don't think Derrick Williams will wilt under the bright lights. He carried his team to the Elite-8, and even then he was within 2 points of advancing against a 5-seed. He's shown the ability to up his game in big moments, and he never gives up.

-I'm projecting a modest to static improvement from my guys next year, but 3 of my starting 5 players have room for great improvement next year. Lowry, Harden, and Bogut could all take a step next season up to 'the next level'. If any one of those guys improves, it changes the dynamic of this series. LeBron, Chandler, and Billups are known commodities, as is Millsap (although to be fair, Millsap might improve his defense and rebounding). Of Sacramento's starting 5, Matthews is the only real guy that might continue to improve his game next year, and considering that he's already 25 and been a starter for 2 years, he might have scratched the surface of his ceiling.

Lowry, Bogut, and Harden are all going through big changes. Bogut is coming back from a gruesome injury, Harden is moving into the top tiers of the SG position, and Lowry looks to be on the precipice of moving into the conversation of elite point guards.

If you believe that, these guys are difference makers in this series.

Could Sacramento win this series? Sure. But, LeBron only got to the Finals once without Dwyane Wade, and that was against one of the weakest Eastern Conferences in the modern era. LeBron's got a good team around him, but its built around him. I used to think that was what LeBron wanted, but as we've seen over the past 4 years, what LeBron wants is to be the yin to someone's yang, not their focal point. Frankly, I think my team is better, and I don't think LeBron can carry this one any further.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I still think Wes Matthews brings more to the table now than Harden.  I think Harden has the potential to pass Matthews, but right now Matthews' defensive abilities give him the edge in that matchup.  Also, Billups played better than Lowry last year, and we have Jennings as well who is heads and shoulders above sessions.

We expect Chauncey to be able to continue to outplay Lowry, Matthews to hold Harden in check while also contributing on the offensive end.  

As Nick has said we believe that IP has the advantage at the 4, but Millsap is no slouch himself.  Millsap will be able to give Amare a tough time when Amare trys to Iso, but the pick and role game will be tough.

Despite what IP says, Bogut is not talented enough offensively to sway the center matchup one way or another, that one is a draw.  

I think we win the 1, 2 and 3 matchups and win the series probably in 6 games

I will just repost my response

« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2011, 03:01:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Congrats KC, you've succeeded in making Wes Matthews as overrated as Marc Gasol  ;).

« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2011, 03:09:55 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I don't get why there is so much made out of how Billups will play.  The Kings have Jennings as a back up and he's just as good as Lowry if not better(IMO Jennings is). If Billups is struggling insert Jennings.  Not to mention with having a great backup like Jennings, Billups will have played a lot less minutes than he normally would in a regular season. He will have less wear and tear on his body then. But that's just my take on it. Portland's only real chance at winning this series is if Chandler gets in serious foul trouble, which he has been known to do but the Kings really shouldn't have much trouble winning this series. Portland put together a nice team but overall the Kings have more talent and are deeper.

« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
All i wanna know is, who's playing nba2k tonight? i can't put the game down since the CB Draft started back up.  Smoke any of you guys.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2011, 03:13:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This is my attempt to honestly assess the series. I know I'm not impartial. I'm not pretending to be. I'm just telling you how I see it, as impartially as I can.

First off, it won't be easy for either team. LeBron James and the Kings are a well put together squad, with talented players, adequate depth, and the single greatest talent in basketball. Aside from LeBron, the Blazers have better players at every other position, although the point and the center positions, I'm sure Nick will contest. I believe my players to be better, and I've seen a lot of Chauncey Billups and a lot of Lowry last year, and a lot of Bogut and a lot of Chandler.

How my team wins:

Offense:
Kyle Lowry continues his stellar play from the first two rounds of the playoffs and is just much too fast and athletic for Billups to check and keep out of the lane. Lowry's penetration puts strain on Tyson Chandler and LeBron James's help defense, allowing Lowry to find cutters like Amare Stoudemire, Derrick Williams, and Andrew Bogut for easy buckets.

James Harden plays a 2-man game with Amare Stoudemire, attacking the weakest front-court defender (Millsap) while further pursuing Harden's advantage over Matthews, and building upon Harden's growing rep as one of the best young pick and roll ball handlers from the 2 guard.

Delfino limits LeBron's ability to help by knocking down the open 3pt shots he does have, after Lowry and Harden are forcing the defense to collapse.

Amare Stoudemire plays very well in his minutes at the 5, taking Tyson Chandler to task like he did last season, and forcing Chandler out to the perimeter, allowing Lowry/Harden/Williams more room to work.

Andrew Bogut holds a sizeable advantage over Chandler. He's managed to be a primary or secondary option against Chandler over the last 2 years and still shoot 59% (that's a heck of an accomplishment) while taking over 10FGA's a game. His deft passing will allow for lots of opportunities for my shooters when Matthews or LeBron has to help.

Defense:

Lowry dominates Chauncey Billups on defense because of Billups' new role as spot-shooter and part-time ball handler.

Carlos Delfino keeps LeBron James under 30 points for 4 or more of the possible 7 games.

Paul Millsap does not improve on his performance against Amare as a starter.

Andrew Bogut, and Amare Stoudemire are the twin towers you need when playing against LeBron. Both good help defenders, both big bodies that block shots, and will force LeBron into more passes and contested layups than he's comfortable with.

James Harden keeps Wes Matthews at his current H2H shooting %'s.

Lowry, Delfino, Harden, and Bogut's good defensive sensibilities and athleticism cut off LeBron's passing lanes, and make it harder for his passes to find paydirt.

How I could lose:

1) Paul Millsap plays like he did against Miami last season as a real threat from the post, and from the mid-range. LeBron's passes out of the post to Millsap are a lot more deadly if he's strokin his jumpers.

2) LeBron eats up Carlos Delfino on a regular basis. It'll happen once or twice anyways, but if it happens more often than it doesn't happen, I'm in a big pile of stinky LeBron.  

3) Chauncey Billups has a Renaissance series. If Billups is hitting everything over Lowry's outstretched hands and making solid passes while still allowing LeBron room to operate, its a problem. Lowry has the athleticism and strength to contest Billups on the outside, but there was a time 5 years ago where that didn't matter.

4) Derrick Williams collapses under the pressure of LeBron's All-NBA defense and the largeness of the moment.

5) Nobody on my team steps up to lead when the chips are down. They've gotten to the conference finals and that's all the pressure they can take.

Why I think I can win:

Playoff Experience Matters..but it also isn't the end of the world for me.
-My guys aren't starting from scratch here. They've already won 8 playoff games against two very talented teams. They've beaten Garnett and Pierce, they've beaten Boozer/Westbrook. They've already got some pretty serious experience.

My point is; its not like they're starting from scratch each new round. My team is building on each of the last 2 matchups, they're gelling more, coming together. You say they've got no playoff experience. I say my starters have already weathered at least 10 games and won at least 8. For Nick's team, this is not as substantial. For my team, this is critical.

-I'm kinda losing faith in LeBron as a leader. He deferred to Wade, and it likely cost them a championship. He quit on the Cavaliers during his last year there before he even got to the conference finals. He fled Cleveland so he wouldn't have to be the Alpha-Dog, and has reacted poorly to adversity all season, coming off more as a petulant child than a true leader of men. Billups is a great leader in his own right, but he could never tame Carmelo. Why is he capable of taming LeBron?

-I don't think Derrick Williams will wilt under the bright lights. He carried his team to the Elite-8, and even then he was within 2 points of advancing against a 5-seed. He's shown the ability to up his game in big moments, and he never gives up.

-I'm projecting a modest to static improvement from my guys next year, but 3 of my starting 5 players have room for great improvement next year. Lowry, Harden, and Bogut could all take a step next season up to 'the next level'. If any one of those guys improves, it changes the dynamic of this series. LeBron, Chandler, and Billups are known commodities, as is Millsap (although to be fair, Millsap might improve his defense and rebounding). Of Sacramento's starting 5, Matthews is the only real guy that might continue to improve his game next year, and considering that he's already 25 and been a starter for 2 years, he might have scratched the surface of his ceiling.

Lowry, Bogut, and Harden are all going through big changes. Bogut is coming back from a gruesome injury, Harden is moving into the top tiers of the SG position, and Lowry looks to be on the precipice of moving into the conversation of elite point guards.

If you believe that, these guys are difference makers in this series.

Could Sacramento win this series? Sure. But, LeBron only got to the Finals once without Dwyane Wade, and that was against one of the weakest Eastern Conferences in the modern era. LeBron's got a good team around him, but its built around him. I used to think that was what LeBron wanted, but as we've seen over the past 4 years, what LeBron wants is to be the yin to someone's yang, not their focal point. Frankly, I think my team is better, and I don't think LeBron can carry this one any further.
Couple of things to think about:

Kyle Lowry continues his stellar play? How long has he been playing stellar? I'll tell you. 2 months. That's it. Two months at the end of the season when he "led" his team to barely over .500 record and out of the playoffs. If that suddenly makes him better than a 5-time All Star, Finals MVP, and multi time All-NBA and All-Defense player, then I guess the Kings need to take down the tents and go home. IP says Jennings is a nonfactor yet Jennings has outplayed Lowry in matchups and is a two year starter in the real NBA whereas his starting guard started out last year as a bench player.

Building upon Harden's advantage over Matthews? I don't see it. Both players are young and growing their games in different ways and are fairly evenly matched. harden might shoot better than Matthews when matched up but points, rebounds, assists, steals are all about even between the two. That's not an advantage, it's a draw.

Delfino limits LeBron by knocking down three pointers? When has he ever done that versus LeBron. His career three point shooting versus Lebron is 26%. Are we cherry picking stats again because last I checked, whether you are shooting a three when starting a game or coming off the bench, as long as you are being guarded by the same guy, the shot is still the same shot and if you are misiing it, you are missing it. Doesn't matter your role.

Bogut's sizable advantage and deft passing? 2 assists per game makes for a deft passer? His career numbers versus Chandler say there is no advantage. Cherry picking stats again.

Let's only talk about Lowry since mid last season. Let's only talk about Bogut's last two years. Let's only talk about one game Amare had against KG. Does anyone else see a pattern here?

I say lets take a look at the entire body of work and not just some short recent possibly one or three game success.

Amare has never led a team anywhere. He's a born follower.

Williams is a rookie who Portland is leaning heavily on at the PF position. A ROOKIE versus Lebron James in the playoffs?? Good luck with that.

When Lowry, Harden, Amare and Bogut and Delfino get into foul trouble or have to rest where is the help coming from? Williams? Sessions? Robin Lopez? Jonas Jerebko? Gerald Henderson? Anthony Morrow?

Really?

At least we have a former ROY, a two year starting PG who once put up 50 in a game and a solid starting veteran PF in Miller, Jennings, and Diaw coming off the bench to help our starters.

« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Congrats KC, you've succeeded in making Wes Matthews as overrated as Marc Gasol  ;).
But not quite as overrated as IP has made Kyle Lowry.  ;D

« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

LOL IP. I read that whole take of yours and just noticed the title.

No-Spin zone? ****.

I know a show on FoxNews that uses that phrase and they have NEVER EVER been known to spin a view in a certain direction. ::)

Thanks, IP. That made my day. ;D