Author Topic: Anyone else find this alarming?  (Read 17590 times)

Re: Anyone else find this alarming?
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
i'm not blaming Kristic for anything - the guy has played well. i'm blaming Danny for the absence of Perk - which has damaged this team on the court (strategically/playing style) and off the court (chemistry/togetherness).

I'm not hugely in favor or opposed to the trade but I can't believe that Danny killed our chemistry by trading someone who played in a dozen games when we were at worst a top 2 team without him this year.

you must have never played on a close team before if you don't understand the impact this is having on these Celts.

see, i have believed all season that the biggest advantage the Celtics had over the other contenders this year is that they need this title more than anyone else - they had a group hunger, much of which was generated by the pain from game 7 last june, and that hunger, and almost desperate need, to get the title back was a very powerful part of the team's success this season. add in Shaq's desire to stick another title in Bryant's face and you have a combined force and motivation that would have been very difficult for other teams to deal with come playoff time.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2011, 02:13:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
Chemistry is fine, just a couple of tweaks here and there are needed. What we need is to start hitting open jumpers, and that has nothing to with chemistry.

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
No, I do not find it alarming.

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2011, 02:24:59 PM »

Offline The DarkPassenger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I did not see the game last night but I am not too alarmed with the losses lately. I do not think that it is a chemistry issue but rather an issue of the key guys (Rondo, Allen, Pierce, KG, Doc) not knowing the style of game that the new guys play, at least not 100% understand... that comes with time. Also what takes time would be the new guys understanding the Celtics playbook as I've read that other sites are reporting that some of the new guys are still "lost", them being "found" will take time too.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:31:46 PM by The DarkPassenger »
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Red Auerbach

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2011, 03:56:49 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i'm not blaming Kristic for anything - the guy has played well. i'm blaming Danny for the absence of Perk - which has damaged this team on the court (strategically/playing style) and off the court (chemistry/togetherness).

I'm not hugely in favor or opposed to the trade but I can't believe that Danny killed our chemistry by trading someone who played in a dozen games when we were at worst a top 2 team without him this year.

you must have never played on a close team before if you don't understand the impact this is having on these Celts.

see, i have believed all season that the biggest advantage the Celtics had over the other contenders this year is that they need this title more than anyone else - they had a group hunger, much of which was generated by the pain from game 7 last june, and that hunger, and almost desperate need, to get the title back was a very powerful part of the team's success this season. add in Shaq's desire to stick another title in Bryant's face and you have a combined force and motivation that would have been very difficult for other teams to deal with come playoff time.

Funny...  An NBA player will call it a "business" until moments like this, huh?

My assessment...grow up and get over it.  The binky known as "Perk" isn't coming back.  If poor little Rajon can't handle it than that's just too bad.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2011, 04:35:01 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

My assessment...grow up and get over it.  The binky known as "Perk" isn't coming back.  If poor little Rajon can't handle it than that's just too bad.

Gee, your love for the Celtics and appreciation of Celtic Pride has almost brought me to tears - can we watch a game together soon ?

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2011, 05:15:24 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen

Gee, your love for the Celtics and appreciation of Celtic Pride has almost brought me to tears - can we watch a game together soon ?

I root for the name on the front of the jersey...not the back.

At the end of the day these guys (most of them) play for one thing: a paycheck.

I have no emotional attachment to any of these players.  My heart bleeds Celtic Green, not for any particular player.

Maybe you think I'm cold and callous, but I don't.  It's the reality of the business aspect of PROFESSIONAL basketball...  These guys can walk away from the Celtics in a moments notice.  There's no guarantee that Perk would have stayed...and my guess is that he would NOT have.  But if Rondo (for example) is upset he needs to get over himself fairly quick.

But (unless I've misinterpreted you) don't paint me as not being a "fan" just because I don't root for individual players.  I'm a CELTICS fan through and through...

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2011, 05:23:42 PM »

Offline AlexC45

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 23
Dont worry guys by next year none of you will miss perk.
Pagina para los Latinos de los celtics http://celticslatino.webs.com/apps/forums/

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2011, 05:32:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Krstic's shooting was a little off, but he was far from our biggest problem tonight.  Any night that Krstic grabs 15 boards he should be pretty much off-limits for criticism.
Unless he showed up with a horrific new tattoo.  Other than that we are agreed

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Funny...  An NBA player will call it a "business" until moments like this, huh?

My assessment...grow up and get over it.  The binky known as "Perk" isn't coming back.  If poor little Rajon can't handle it than that's just too bad.

I have no emotional attachment to any of these players.  My heart bleeds Celtic Green, not for any particular player.

Maybe you think I'm cold and callous, but I don't.  It's the reality of the business aspect of PROFESSIONAL basketball...  These guys can walk away from the Celtics in a moments notice.  There's no guarantee that Perk would have stayed...and my guess is that he would NOT have.  But if Rondo (for example) is upset he needs to get over himself fairly quick.

But (unless I've misinterpreted you) don't paint me as not being a "fan" just because I don't root for individual players.  I'm a CELTICS fan through and through...

Here's a vote of support for you. I really don't understand and don't want to understand fans who pull for individual players over teams. Don't get it, don't appreciate it as a former coach and don't ever intend to engage in it. Been around this blog long enough to know that people will be pining for Perkins and pouring through sabremetrics to come up with some obscure number to support their positions long after Danny Ainge enters a nursing home.

As for the issues at hand, these guys are handsomely paid. There's a short period of time when I, as a coach, would understand their "mourning" over the trade of a friend. That time has ended, and any prolonged performance deficits wouldn't weigh well with me for the player's long-term future with my team.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2011, 06:01:58 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
It seems clear to me that some fans are more upset with this trade some of the players, which is understandable.

Still, I feel like I can't properly put an assessment on how the chemistry was affected until we actually have most of our bench back. As it is, our main backup PG, our backup SG, and backup PF, plus our starting center and backup center have been out lately. Anyone else gets injured I may just explode from a steamy head. But anyways, I'd like to believe our injuries are just as much an issue has our chemistry and getting the new players up-to-part on both ends.

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2011, 10:52:56 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

oh really ?

the account i read about what transpired the day Perkins was traded doesn't match up with your version of these Celtic players ...............

"I wasn't surprised to hear that Perkins cried for most of the day Thursday, that Boston's veterans were infuriated by the trade, that Rondo (Perk's best friend) was practically catatonic heading into Thursday night's game in Denver. These guys loved one another."

not sure how long you have been a Celtics fan, but for me, since the 60's, the Celtics are absolutely about the players that have played there, along with Mr. Brown and Red and Johnny and the staff over the years and the Garden and the fans. an organization without the people is just a machine. Nothing in this world is special unless the people who have created it and are a part of it are also special and the Celtics are the most famous name in basketball only because of the players and coaches who have made them so successful and unique. yes, i do care a lot about those players who have cared about being a Celtic, those who share a special feeling about wearing that jersey you mentioned being so fond of ........................ and i believe Kendrick Perkins was one of those players.

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2011, 12:19:05 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen

oh really ?

the account i read about what transpired the day Perkins was traded doesn't match up with your version of these Celtic players ...............

"I wasn't surprised to hear that Perkins cried for most of the day Thursday, that Boston's veterans were infuriated by the trade, that Rondo (Perk's best friend) was practically catatonic heading into Thursday night's game in Denver. These guys loved one another."

not sure how long you have been a Celtics fan, but for me, since the 60's, the Celtics are absolutely about the players that have played there, along with Mr. Brown and Red and Johnny and the staff over the years and the Garden and the fans. an organization without the people is just a machine. Nothing in this world is special unless the people who have created it and are a part of it are also special and the Celtics are the most famous name in basketball only because of the players and coaches who have made them so successful and unique. yes, i do care a lot about those players who have cared about being a Celtic, those who share a special feeling about wearing that jersey you mentioned being so fond of ........................ and i believe Kendrick Perkins was one of those players.

Oh really?

Kendrick Perkins (following trade): "I walked in today and didn't have a pair of shoes. I had my old Celtics shoes. So I was like, 'Man, you gotta get that outta here,' so I threw it right in the trash. [Someone tried] to pass me a green medicine bottle today, and I said, 'I don't want to see anything green.' Boston is the last thing on my mind now."

This isn't your 1960's NBA anymore...

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2011, 04:24:11 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Perk has handled this as I would expect from someone of his character.  He was crushed to get traded away from the team that raised him, that was a part of his identity.  I have no doubt about that.

I also am not surprised that he got over his mourning pretty quickly, realized that he's in a great situation, and that it's time to grab his lunch pail and get to work.  And, I certainly can't blame him for not wanting to wear green sneakers or drink out of green bottles right now.

I will always miss Perk, but have come to accept this trade.  Green and Krstic have shown me some nice things on the court and I think they will prove to be good Celtics. 

I sincerely wish Kendrick good luck with the Thunder and am ready to move on. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2011, 10:18:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He has to move on and so do we fans.   The deal is done.  I too think Perk handled this well and is a class act.  I wish him well unless he is playing us.