Author Topic: Anyone else find this alarming?  (Read 17589 times)

Re: Anyone else find this alarming?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 11:30:21 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
chemistry, chemistry, chemistry !!!!

i don't care if you are tired of hearing that word, but Danny traded away this team's identity, shared motivation and chemistry -  those are intangibles that win titles that you won't see in a stat sheet or on a logical depth chart.

the reason the Big 4 are suddenly struggling when they have been carrying this team all season, is because their trusted GM ripped their hearts out by trading away their 5th member.

i had fallen in love with what it means to be a Celtic all over again with this group that we have celebrated and suffered with these past few seasons - KG's influence had made me care again, the same way i cared about Bird, Cowens and Russell and Silas, McHale and Kuberski and Sigfried, Jo Jo and DJ - all those guys who together made the Celtics unique.

i hate Danny Ainge right now.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:00:50 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40

i don't care if you are tired of hearing that word, but Danny traded away this team's identity, shared motivation and chemistry -  those are intangibles that win titles that you won't in a stat sheet or on a logical depth chart.

the reason the Big 4 are suddenly struggling when they have been carrying this team all season, is because their trusted GM ripped their hearts out by trading away their 5th member.

i had fallen in love with what it means to be a Celtic all over again with this group that we have celebrated and suffered with these past few seasons - KG's influence had made me care again, the same way i cared about Bird, Cowens and Russell and Silas, McHale and Kuberski and Sigfried, Jo Jo and DJ - all those guys whotogether made the Celtics unique.

TP, i am glad someone else has woken up.

16 pts 15 rebounds, you can shove em

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 11:52:38 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Tenn_Smoothie, you have a truly heart-felt post, but I respectfully disagree.

This teams' Chemistry is/was a lot bigger than Perk. Yes - the trade was shocking...yes it was very unexpected....yes it upset team chemistry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is your mindset along the lines of "Yes - we won without Perk, but this team waited all season for the Big Fella to come back, and once he does - he's gone, just like that."

That can definitely upset chemistry.

But The Boston Celtics are a lot bigger than one person. I don't believe it's fair to the tradition of the Celtics to believe that a trade, no matter how shocking it was at the time - is the end all.

Look at who Danny has brought in over the years that have helped The Celtics in their goals:

Posey, PJ, Cassell, Nate, Wafer, Marbury, Sheed, Shaq, Eddie. JO, Carlos, Murph, JG, Sasha, and Nenad will prove themselves here soon, and in some cases have already proven their worth.

I can't be mad at Danny, because he's not some mad scientist who is trying to tinker with the team and see Boston lose. He made these trades in an honest attempt to help this team.

I really believe that.

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 12:03:51 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

i don't care if you are tired of hearing that word, but Danny traded away this team's identity, shared motivation and chemistry -  those are intangibles that win titles that you won't see in a stat sheet or on a logical depth chart.

i had fallen in love with what it means to be a Celtic all over again with this group that we have celebrated and suffered with these past few seasons - KG's influence had made me care again, the same way i cared about Bird, Cowens and Russell and Silas, McHale and Kuberski and Sigfried, Jo Jo and DJ - all those guys who together made the Celtics unique.

Do you realize how depleted our bench is? I'm surprised we've won as many games as we have with it so weak!

Evey bad game by the Big 3 proves they're not over the trade? Come on, man...

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 12:06:28 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

i don't care if you are tired of hearing that word, but Danny traded away this team's identity, shared motivation and chemistry -  those are intangibles that win titles that you won't in a stat sheet or on a logical depth chart.

i had fallen in love with what it means to be a Celtic all over again with this group that we have celebrated and suffered with these past few seasons - KG's influence had made me care again, the same way i cared about Bird, Cowens and Russell and Silas, McHale and Kuberski and Sigfried, Jo Jo and DJ - all those guys whotogether made the Celtics unique.

Wow you really think the big three didn't have friends (best friends even) that got traded away some time in their career. I can understand this excuse for rondo, but KG, PP and Ray? Did PP sulk and struggle when his bestfriend toine got traded?

How about PP, Ray and Rondo getting tired because you know, they have no viable backups for some time now? Let's see, Quis got injured, Ray,PP and Wafer sharing time at sg and sf. Delonte got injured, Rondo has to play 40+ minutes because his backup Nate is stinking the place.

Last year we wouldve said "This team struggles with young athletic bigs" but now its "Our frontcourt sucks, blame krstic". Who else would be a better scapegoat than the guy who was traded for a fan favorite.

You could actually see these losses coming. We haven't been as dominant as we were before Shaq slipped on ice. We were almost playing .500 ball before Perk got injured. It's only a matter of time before the big 3 struggles because of those injuries. Now is the perfect time to rest PP and Ray while getting the new guys acclimated.

Oh, and during the Bucks game, Ray had the second lowest +/- at -7, while the rest of the starters and jeff green had +8 and higher. Yet when Krstic is the one with those numbers its suddenly a big deal?

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 12:06:39 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Do you realize how depleted our bench is? I'm surprised we've won as many games as we have with it so weak!

Evey bad game by the Big 3 proves they're not over the trade? Come on, man...

And how depleted it would have been without the Perk trade!

(Doc would have been forced to play Bradley at the 4 by now otherwise...)

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Rasta,

Why are you not calling out Ray Allen who was also a -6 and also had a MUCH lower Efficiency Rating for this game??  Ray was a +5 which means that Kristic had an ER four times higher!!  Why are you calling out the guy that had the highest Efficiency Rating for our team???  

I understand that many of you miss Perk, but it was and is NOT Nenad's fault that Perk is NOT here.  Has any new player EVER been treated with such utter disrespect???

That has reached a breaking point and it needs to stop.

Smitty77

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
Tenn_Smoothie, you have a truly heart-felt post, but I respectfully disagree.

This teams' Chemistry is/was a lot bigger than Perk. Yes - the trade was shocking...yes it was very unexpected....yes it upset team chemistry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is your mindset along the lines of "Yes - we won without Perk, but this team waited all season for the Big Fella to come back, and once he does - he's gone, just like that."

That can definitely upset chemistry.

But The Boston Celtics are a lot bigger than one person. I don't believe it's fair to the tradition of the Celtics to believe that a trade, no matter how shocking it was at the time - is the end all.

Look at who Danny has brought in over the years that have helped The Celtics in their goals:

Posey, PJ, Cassell, Nate, Wafer, Marbury, Sheed, Shaq, Eddie. JO, Carlos, Murph, JG, Sasha, and Nenad will prove themselves here soon, and in some cases have already proven their worth.

I can't be mad at Danny, because he's not some mad scientist who is trying to tinker with the team and see Boston lose. He made these trades in an honest attempt to help this team.

I really believe that.

i don't disagree with much of what you said - but i do think Danny overanalyzed this and you could almost say that he "tried too hard" and overmanaged this time. also think that Daanny has let himself get too caught up in not repeating Red's "mistakes" (in Danny's mind that is) of letting Bird & Co. stay here beyond their trade value. Red did make brilliant moves to keep that 80's group in contention - but who else in league history, any sport for that matter, suffered the devastating double whammy the Celtics did with the deaths of Lenny and Reggie. i will always be grateful that Bird and McHale retired as Celtics.

those supplemental players you mention that Ainge has brought in to help this group win kinda makes my point - instead of altering the fundamental makeup of this team, Danny should have gotten yet another supplemental wing to replace Daniels - and there were plenty available.

of course, Danny has been bringing in one guy after another to fill James Posey's shoes for three years now when he should have given that guy his extra year to begin with - speaking of not repeating Red's "mistakes" - letting Posey get away, to this day, reminds me of Red letting Silas leave after the '76 title. the Celtics don't make those two mistakes, we might have two more banners hanging right now, 1977 & 2010.

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 12:16:20 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Also, why is ONLY Kristic being calling out for his outside shooting and NOT KG???  Talk about different standards here?  Yes, let's not hold Rondo accountable for really playing average, if that, over the last 10 games.  Let's not hold Ray accountable when he literally built a house in Philly with all his bricks.  Let's not hold KG accountable for only 6 rebounds and no offensive boards last night.

So much hypocrisy!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 12:21:31 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
i'm not blaming Kristic for anything - the guy has played well. i'm blaming Danny for the absence of Perk - which has damaged this team on the court (strategically/playing style) and off the court (chemistry/togetherness).

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 12:26:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
i'm not blaming Kristic for anything - the guy has played well. i'm blaming Danny for the absence of Perk - which has damaged this team on the court (strategically/playing style) and off the court (chemistry/togetherness).

I'm not hugely in favor or opposed to the trade but I can't believe that Danny killed our chemistry by trading someone who played in a dozen games when we were at worst a top 2 team without him this year.

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 12:29:53 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Also, why is ONLY Kristic being calling out for his outside shooting and NOT KG???  Talk about different standards here?  Yes, let's not hold Rondo accountable for really playing average, if that, over the last 10 games.  Let's not hold Ray accountable when he literally built a house in Philly with all his bricks.  Let's not hold KG accountable for only 6 rebounds and no offensive boards last night.

So much hypocrisy!!!!

Smitty77
Welcome to Celtics Blog  ;D

Seriously though to an extent I do agree chemistry wise were not even close where we should be. Perks void goes beyond numbers, all our guys knowing where each other should be, playing on a string, that with the starting unit and Perk is huge.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I can understand where you're coming from with the Posey thing, Tenn_Smoothie.

I can understand Danny's logic with it, though. I just don't know how much James had left in the tank...judging how he has played for NOH and INDY since then, I don't know how much he could've helped us.

Looking back on what you mentioned with the 80's...man I lived those days, too....the late 80's were the toughest, as well as with Reggie into the 90s.

I don't know Danny's mindset....I have no clue of the pressure he is under being the GM of the most fabled franchise in the NBA....but with this trade like you mentioned it certainly begs to wonder if he wasn't looking towards the future...it seems evident, and brilliant.

I can understand your mindset with why Danny didn't just sign a player or two without the trades. I was hoping along those lines, too.

But even with going that route, what other players of Jeff Green's talent level were available?

Like some have mentioned, though - imagine the funk Boston would be in if Danny had not made those trades....we'd have KG playing Center...no Jeff...no Glen.....no Perk, until end of March......more wear and tear on both Paul and KG.

With this trade, besides acquiring Nenad, that 1st round pick from the Clips, I am just amazed that we now have a young, athletic, intelligent, tall, talented, and humble player in Jeff Green.

How many players in the NBA of Jeff Green's talent level would be able to come into Boston, play off the bench behind Paul, and not be disruptive?

And I just don't get the impression from Jeff that he will be that difficult to re-sign here.

He will expect to get paid, yes - but I bet he wants to win even more.

Not to mention that this guy wants a locker right next to none other than Ticket.

He wants to help this team, and it's evident.

The immediate results won't be known overnight, or even in the coming weeks. But by April? It will all make sense.

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 12:52:04 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Ray Allen 2 for 11
we should cut him

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2011, 12:55:23 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis