Author Topic: How is my Pick 2 team?  (Read 184336 times)

Re: How is my Pick 2 team?
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
PG: Deron Williams
SG: Aaron Afflalo
SF: Josh Smith
PF: Rashard Lewis
C: Shaq

6th Man: Antawn Jamison

Pretty pumped about my team.  I think we have the makings of a serious contender and happy where we came from with the Minny roster.

I'm not a huge fan.  You have no legit interior defenders, and Shaq cannot carry the interior offense anymore.  He just doesn't have enough left in his legs to consistently score in the post.  Its a decent perimeter team, but I don't think its a contender.

He carried the celtics interior offense to the best record in the east

No he didn't.  He has been eratic at best.  He has done a nice job finishing lobs from Rondo, and in a handful of games, he has scored with his back to the basket a bit.  But for the most part, he has struggled to consistently score, and certainly does not demand double teams like he used to.  

So then who has carried our interior offense?  If that is a necessity to getting the best record in the conference?

Lets start with:

Noone. We survived all year being a 18 ft team

While I think most of our scoring is from the perimeter, the C's are able to do that because they have such versatile offensive player in Rondo, Pierce, KG, Allen, and even Davis.  All of these guys need so much respect, whether are in the post, or the perimeter, that it really opens things up.  They all can create their own shot, and also are above average passers, so they can force the defense to collapse, and then create open jumpers.

I don't see that on the team in question.  Other than Williams, no one on that team is good at creating their own shot, and other than Shaq, no one else is an above average passer.  

I like Afflalo, but he is just a defender and spot shooter.  Lewis is just a shooter period, and Josh Smith is a glorified garbage-man on offense, who doesn't do anything consistently well, but can jump over everyone, and take advantage of speed matchups against bigger PF's.  

« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2011, 01:34:58 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Pretty pumped about my team.  I think we have the makings of a serious contender and happy where we came from with the Minny roster.

I'm not a huge fan.  You have no legit interior defenders, and Shaq cannot carry the interior offense anymore.  He just doesn't have enough left in his legs to consistently score in the post.  Its a decent perimeter team, but I don't think its a contender.

???

Im just saying, KG has been hitting his Jumpers, Baby has tried to extend his range, Jermaine hasnt been healthy.

That may be true.  But the C's players around Shaq are much more versatile.  KG does go into the post a lot, and he forces double-teams and opens up the offense.  Pierce also does a ton of work in the mid-post, which opens things up as well.

You just have Deron Williams and a bunch of spot shooters.  

Perhaps Antawn Jamison can make a difference and open things up a bit, but from what I have seen he has lost more than a step, and may be more of a liability defensively than he helps the offense.

Thats just not true.  76% of Garnetts Shots this year have been jump shots.  whereas 40% of Josh Smiths shot's have come inside.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2011, 01:35:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I'm not a huge fan.  You have no legit interior defenders, and Shaq cannot carry the interior offense anymore.  He just doesn't have enough left in his legs to consistently score in the post.  Its a decent perimeter team, but I don't think its a contender.
Not a fan of Shaq here either. I'd want more of a defensive presence. I like the rest of the lineup.

I would have loved to have seen Brendan Haywood here. I think that team would be a borderline contender.

Agreed.  Put a defensive Center in there, and they can win with defense, and fast breaks.  But with Shaq, they will just get killed on the pick and rolls, negating how good Williams, Afflalo, and Smith are on the perimeter defensively, and they are not good enough offensively to outscore anyone.  

« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Pretty pumped about my team.  I think we have the makings of a serious contender and happy where we came from with the Minny roster.

Not a fan of Shaq here either. I'd want more of a defensive presence. I like the rest of the lineup.

I would have loved to have seen Brendan Haywood here. I think that team would be a borderline contender.

We are going to get a defensive center don't worry.  I just wanted to get shaq when I could.  
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

???

Im just saying, KG has been hitting his Jumpers, Baby has tried to extend his range, Jermaine hasnt been healthy.

That may be true.  But the C's players around Shaq are much more versatile.  KG does go into the post a lot, and he forces double-teams and opens up the offense.  Pierce also does a ton of work in the mid-post, which opens things up as well.

Perhaps Antawn Jamison can make a difference and open things up a bit, but from what I have seen he has lost more than a step, and may be more of a liability defensively than he helps the offense.

Thats just not true.  76% of Garnetts Shots this year have been jump shots.  whereas 40% of Josh Smiths shot's have come inside.

I never said anything about shooting inside and outside.  Garnett doesn't shoot from the inside, because he gets the ball in the post, and the defense caves, so he passes to the open man on the perimeter.  

Its not about shooting from the post, it is about having a post presence to open up the rest of the offense, and diversify things.  

« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2011, 01:40:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I'm not a huge fan.  You have no legit interior defenders, and Shaq cannot carry the interior offense anymore.  He just doesn't have enough left in his legs to consistently score in the post.  Its a decent perimeter team, but I don't think its a contender.

Agreed.  Put a defensive Center in there, and they can win with defense, and fast breaks.  But with Shaq, they will just get killed on the pick and rolls, negating how good Williams, Afflalo, and Smith are on the perimeter defensively, and they are not good enough offensively to outscore anyone.  
Plus given Shaq's regression on the boards and minutes limitations I'm still skeptical about this team's ability to secure defensive rebounds. That will hold the back defensively as much as interior defense will.

« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

???

I never said anything about shooting inside and outside.  Garnett doesn't shoot from the inside, because he gets the ball in the post, and the defense caves, so he passes to the open man on the perimeter.  

Its not about shooting from the post, it is about having a post presence to open up the rest of the offense, and diversify things.  

I dunno, I think Drives from Williams and Smith, and Shaq in the post will diversify things just fine and open up plays for our jump shooters

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2011, 01:47:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We are going to get a defensive center don't worry.  I just wanted to get shaq when I could.  

I hear J.O. is available.  The CrotoNats are getting the band back together.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2011, 01:50:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

???

I dunno, I think Drives from Williams and Smith, and Shaq in the post will diversify things just fine and open up plays for our jump shooters

I guess I just don't see Smith as being that great at taking the ball to the hole.  He has a quick first step in the mid-post when he is being defended by slower PF's, but he doesn't have the handle to do much from the perimeter, and he doesn't have the footwork in the low post to really punish smaller defenders.  

And in general, I think if you are counting on anything more than finishing alley-oops from Smith offensively, you are going to be disappointed.  He is a very good 4th option offensively, but as your #2 guy, I just don't see it.  

« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2011, 01:58:57 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

???

I guess I just don't see Smith as being that great at taking the ball to the hole.  He has a quick first step in the mid-post when he is being defended by slower PF's, but he doesn't have the handle to do much from the perimeter, and he doesn't have the footwork in the low post to really punish smaller defenders.  

And in general, I think if you are counting on anything more than finishing alley-oops from Smith offensively, you are going to be disappointed.  He is a very good 4th option offensively, but as your #2 guy, I just don't see it.  

I think you are wrong, I think with this lineup, he will be able to overpower a sf if that is who is coving him or blow by a pf that is covering him.  He is also going to be reaping the benefits of playing with Deron.

« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2011, 02:01:01 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Opposite CEnter will have sooo much fun waiting for Deron

Did yous saw how good Dalembert was deffensively against us.
Just imagine the same.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2011, 02:01:45 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Gasol
McGee
Rudy
Deng
Calderon

Bench: Bass

« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2011, 02:04:33 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Gasol
McGee
Rudy
Deng
Calderon

I am not ready to call Rudy a leader yet
but your team is light years ahead real Memphis
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2011, 02:04:58 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Gasol
McGee
Rudy
Deng
Calderon

I might even start Bass over McGee. Bass has some range to his jump shot, so things wouldn't be so congested in the half-court offense.

McGee off the bench for 30 minutes a night backing up both frontcourt slots, based on matchups.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Gasol
McGee
Rudy
Deng
Calderon

Interesting.  I'd look to trade one of Gasol and McGee.  With the number of teams missing a good center (including the team that posted immediately before you), you should be able to find a good fit.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes