Author Topic: NFL Draft 2010  (Read 59782 times)

Re: NFL Draft 2010
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2010, 12:37:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
Since I do not watch enough college football to have an intellegent palyer selection, I will that to Bill and his crew.

I do however strongly have an opinion on what positions they need to address. My wish list is as follows:

1)Outside Linebacker who can rush the passer as the Pats had about the worst pass rush in the league.
2) wide receiver as Moss is in his last year and was dropping quite a lot of passes last year. I'll be surprised to see Welker back at all next season. After that they have a whole lot of unproven. Wish they could have gotten Bolden but that ship sailed.
3) tight end. Even though they didn't use the TE as much last year I have to think especially with lack of wide out that the TE will be more important, and they don't have one now.
4) runningback. I still think Marony could be alright he's not a full time back and the rest of these guys could play for the Celics, they're so old.
If they can fill thoughs 4 positions, I'll be happy. I know they could use some help on the D line, but I think they have a couple of guys who might just step up this year to fill Seymore's old spot. Maybe Brace or the other rookie last year who player pretty well. Sorry I can't think of his name right now.

Pretty solid list of needs.  I would throw offensive line in there also.

You have a couple of guys who are coming along in age as well as some guys coming up for contract soon.  I think Vollmer is one of the plugs but I think they need another guy or two.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2010, 12:38:54 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Will Rolle still be on the board when the Pats pick?

If so I think he'd be a great player to have for your team.

Rolle isnt considered a top draft choice.  He is projected to go somewhere in the 4-7 (rounds) range.

It has been speculated that teams will shy away from him because they dont know his commitment to football (due to the fact that he has a brain and wants to someday be something other then a football player -- neurosurgeon)  It's amazing that something like that could hurt draft stock...

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2010, 02:21:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Rolle isnt considered a top draft choice.  He is projected to go somewhere in the 4-7 (rounds) range.

It has been speculated that teams will shy away from him because they dont know his commitment to football (due to the fact that he has a brain and wants to someday be something other then a football player -- neurosurgeon)  It's amazing that something like that could hurt draft stock...
Man his stock dropped, he was a 2nd rounder at worst a while ago.

« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Y.H. is right.  Being smart has actually hurt this guy's draft stock.  However, I've also read that some scouts feel his game regressed a bit as he went along in college.

Its amazing, though, that a guy's brain can actually hurt him.

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2010, 02:57:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I thought, before seeing that list of people they had worked out, that their first round pick was between Ricky Sapp and Ryan Matthews. After seeing that list, I am even more sure of what I think they will do.

« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2010, 08:45:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Rolle isnt considered a top draft choice.  He is projected to go somewhere in the 4-7 (rounds) range.

It has been speculated that teams will shy away from him because they dont know his commitment to football (due to the fact that he has a brain and wants to someday be something other then a football player -- neurosurgeon)  It's amazing that something like that could hurt draft stock...

Y.H. is right.  Being smart has actually hurt this guy's draft stock.  However, I've also read that some scouts feel his game regressed a bit as he went along in college.

Its amazing, though, that a guy's brain can actually hurt him.
both my draft mags have the guy as a 6th rounder. They say he plays more like a LB.  Whatever.

Oh yeah. I also forgot to say I'd be happy if they got a chance at LeGarret Blount later in the draft.

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2010, 08:46:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I thought, before seeing that list of people they had worked out, that their first round pick was between Ricky Sapp and Ryan Matthews. After seeing that list, I am even more sure of what I think they will do.
The only thing I can say with this draft is expect the unexpected, which with the Pats is pretty much to be expected.

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2010, 08:41:25 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I guess players I really like in no order are

Golden Tate - return man, played in Weiss offense, smart, good after catch

Damian Williams - succeeded under two coaches and three QBs in both the SEC and Pac - 10, good size

Myron Pryor Rolle - former TOP high school recruit started from day one and was Rhodes Scholar

Ryan Mathews

Toby Gearhart - love his smash mouth running style and he's never been hurt

I really agree with you about the offensive players you list.

The Pats have a real need at DE/OLB, but I have a hard time figuring out which players are good. Sergio Kindle gets mentioned a bunch in regards to the Pats.

I've seen a couple mocks list Dez Bryant as a possibility for the Pats in the 1st round.  If he fell that far, he would be a real consideration.  He'd be a real risk, though. 

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2010, 10:29:38 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
These are the players I really hope the Patriots get after the 1st round:

Damien Williams - Excellent hands, excellent route-running. Very shifty although does not have top end speed. Should be a great 2nd receiver.

Brandon Spikes - Although he ran a horrible 40 and sees his stock plummeting, he would be a perfect fit next to Mayo as an ILB. He is a run stuffer who would allow Mayo to roam and make big plays.

Brian Price - Agile DT who can rush the passer adequately and blows up plays in the backfield. May not be around after our 1st pick.

Lamarr Houston - If Price is not available, then I would like to get this guy. He an athletic DT who possesses a rare combination of strength and speed. May not be big enough to play NT but some project him to be a DE in the 3-4 scheme.

Montario Hardesty - Solid all around back who has great vision and hands. Won't make many big plays but moves well through the chaos at the line of scrimmage which is what we lack with Maroney.

Donald Butler - Another ILB who has great instincts and great strength.

Sean Canfield - Not a big fan of Tebow but not against drafting him. Randomly saw some footage of Canfield and was very impressed with his accuracy and poise in the pocket. He should be a 6th-7th round pick so It won't cost us a lot.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2010, 10:43:33 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Great article about edge rushers that is prevalent to the pats since they will most surely get one of these guys.

Despite this article Kindle is the player I want.

http://footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2010/introducing-sackseer
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2010, 10:38:23 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Great article about edge rushers that is prevalent to the pats since they will most surely get one of these guys.

Despite this article Kindle is the player I want.

http://footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2010/introducing-sackseer

Interesting article.
Daniel Te'O'Nesheim is mentioned as a possible sleeper, and he's a player the Pats have brought in for a pre-draft visit.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2010, 10:53:35 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
The closer we get to the draft, the less enamored I am getting with the prospect of the Pats taking aDE/LB type.  If they stay put (which is a big IF), I actually think they'll be some decent OL prospects available with less question marks than a lot of these DE/LB types. 

Really wouldn't have a problem with drafting a OL in the first round and then move to address the defense and/or WR with the 2nd rounders.

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The closer we get to the draft, the less enamored I am getting with the prospect of the Pats taking aDE/LB type.  If they stay put (which is a big IF), I actually think they'll be some decent OL prospects available with less question marks than a lot of these DE/LB types. 

Really wouldn't have a problem with drafting a OL in the first round and then move to address the defense and/or WR with the 2nd rounders.

I am not sure I agree that OL is that much of a need, but I am with you on waiting until later in the draft to get the DE/LB types. 

Generally, I think there have been two types of linebackers in the draft.  The studs that go top 10, and then everyone else.  I think you can generally get a LB with as much chance of making an impact in the 2nd or 3rd round as you can in the late first round.  At that point, fit in the system is the most important thing.

In the first round, I think they need to keep an eye open for playmakers who are slipping (yes, I would take a chance on Dez Bryant, a CB, or even a running back), otherwise taking an offensive or defensive lineman would probably be the best value at that pick.

« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2010, 11:56:27 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I am not sure I agree that OL is that much of a need, but I am with you on waiting until later in the draft to get the DE/LB types. 

Generally, I think there have been two types of linebackers in the draft.  The studs that go top 10, and then everyone else.  I think you can generally get a LB with as much chance of making an impact in the 2nd or 3rd round as you can in the late first round.  At that point, fit in the system is the most important thing.

In the first round, I think they need to keep an eye open for playmakers who are slipping (yes, I would take a chance on Dez Bryant, a CB, or even a running back), otherwise taking an offensive or defensive lineman would probably be the best value at that pick.

If Bryant slips, I agree.  I wouldn't mind them taking a chance.  However, I think he'll be gone by then so if the Pats really want him, they'd have to trade up.  I'm not sure who else as a playmaker would be 1st round talent. 

Here's what I'm kinda pushing OL here.  Its a pretty decent draft crop and the Pats have some long-term uncertainty at the positon.  By my own estimate, Light & Mankins are upcoming FAs.  Mankins is going to command some bigtime $ while you have to wonder if Light's best days are behind him.  I know Neal has mentioned in the past that his days playing football are numbered. 

Its not necessarily a current need but is definitely going to be a long-term need. 

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
This is my boy, My girlfriend went to highschool with him and the kid was all big east 3 years in a row

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-04-20/no-one-bigger-big-12-conference-stands-out-top-10-draft-class

The sleeper: DT Arthur Jones, Syracuse. Savvy NFL powers that be, including Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick, tend to find good defensive tackle values in the middle rounds. Jones (6-3 1/4, 301) doesn't qualify as a massive space eater, but he makes up for it with how quickly he shoots gaps. A 3-4 team would end up very happy if it lands him in the third round.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16