Author Topic: NFL Draft 2010  (Read 59494 times)

Re: NFL Draft 2010
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2010, 12:25:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is my boy, My girlfriend went to highschool with him and the kid was all big east 3 years in a row

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-04-20/no-one-bigger-big-12-conference-stands-out-top-10-draft-class

The sleeper: DT Arthur Jones, Syracuse. Savvy NFL powers that be, including Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick, tend to find good defensive tackle values in the middle rounds. Jones (6-3 1/4, 301) doesn't qualify as a massive space eater, but he makes up for it with how quickly he shoots gaps. A 3-4 team would end up very happy if it lands him in the third round.

Would he be a DE in a 3-4?  Because nose tackles need to take on blockers, not shoot gaps in that scheme.

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2010, 12:27:04 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
This is my boy, My girlfriend went to highschool with him and the kid was all big east 3 years in a row

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-04-20/no-one-bigger-big-12-conference-stands-out-top-10-draft-class

The sleeper: DT Arthur Jones, Syracuse. Savvy NFL powers that be, including Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick, tend to find good defensive tackle values in the middle rounds. Jones (6-3 1/4, 301) doesn't qualify as a massive space eater, but he makes up for it with how quickly he shoots gaps. A 3-4 team would end up very happy if it lands him in the third round.

Would he be a DE in a 3-4?  Because nose tackles need to take on blockers, not shoot gaps in that scheme.

Ya he projects as a DE in a 3-4 DT in a 4-3
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2010, 02:26:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The closer we get to the draft, the less enamored I am getting with the prospect of the Pats taking aDE/LB type.  If they stay put (which is a big IF), I actually think they'll be some decent OL prospects available with less question marks than a lot of these DE/LB types.  

Really wouldn't have a problem with drafting a OL in the first round and then move to address the defense and/or WR with the 2nd rounders.

I am not sure I agree that OL is that much of a need, but I am with you on waiting until later in the draft to get the DE/LB types.  

Generally, I think there have been two types of linebackers in the draft.  The studs that go top 10, and then everyone else.  I think you can generally get a LB with as much chance of making an impact in the 2nd or 3rd round as you can in the late first round.  At that point, fit in the system is the most important thing.

In the first round, I think they need to keep an eye open for playmakers who are slipping (yes, I would take a chance on Dez Bryant, a CB, or even a running back), otherwise taking an offensive or defensive lineman would probably be the best value at that pick.

I hear you Donogus about the question marks surrounding the DE/LBs projected to go in the 1st and 2nd rounds.  I think there are also injury question marks about the top TEs in the draft.  While both are positions of need, I'd be happy if the Pats take a careful approach here, and instead focus on big playmakers.

Chris, a CB who could be available to the Pats in the 1st round is Kyle Wilson, who is also a fantastic PR (there was some video on him in an earlier thread, or perhaps earlier in this thread).  That would really address a need given Wes Welker's status (he was the primary PR for the Pats last season).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2010, 02:38:54 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Here's the video I mentioned on Kyle Wilson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUwj7JemkC4
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2010, 09:35:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
On WEEI today the morning guys were talking to Pat Kirwan from NFL.com

He said if Dez Bryant slips to the Pats they'll take him

He also thinks they may very well take Tebow in the 2nd because they can afford to take him with all their other picks addressing other needs. He also points out when you meet Tebow coaches just fall in love with wanting to coach him and you can't discount the relationship between Belichek and Urban Meyer. Basically Tebow wouldn't want to be anything but a QB, but Meyer could have a big influence on him saying "Trust me and my friend. You may have to be versatile but it'll be worth it" and it could work.

He points to some guys like Jared Odrick and some guys with return skills as guys Belichek would find intriguing due to versatility.

So it stands to reason Kirwan is thinking something like

1 - top RB like Matthews/J Best or TE like Jermaine Gresham/Gronkowski
2 - Jared Odrick
2b - top RB like Matthews/J Best or TE like Jermaine Gresham/Gronkowski
2c - Tebow
4 - WR Taylor Price/Andre Roberts/pray someone like Dexter McCluster slips

also, obviously the pass rusher has to be high on the list, which is why lots and lots of people don't buy the Tebow theory. Or maybe if Tebow slips a lot

Glen Ordway made the point ESPN is probably planning on/praying Tebow has a hot as hell girlfriend that tons of guys see on Thurs night on tv, he doesn't get picked, she shows up in a different outfit on Fri night, he doesn't get picked again, and she shows up again on Sat in another outfit.

Smart program planning.

I saw this first hand with David Carr's wife. Ever wonder what it's like to see/hear about 10,000 guys covet a man's wife in front of him? It's weird. 

« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2010, 09:41:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2010, 01:27:58 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Not long now ... can't wait!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2010, 04:46:10 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Not long now ... can't wait!
Ditto.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2010, 12:16:52 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
So the more I think about it I have talked myself out of wanting the pats to take a DE/OLB in the first round.  The bust rate of those picks is extremely high and I think the most important thing is finding a starter in the first round no matter what position.  Im thinking either OL/TE/WR in the first round for the pats. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2010, 12:20:56 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
So the more I think about it I have talked myself out of wanting the pats to take a DE/OLB in the first round.  The bust rate of those picks is extremely high and I think the most important thing is finding a starter in the first round no matter what position.  Im thinking either OL/TE/WR in the first round for the pats.  

I like it, a potential #1 receiver would be nice. Someone that could step in as the #2 guy next season.

But yeah I agree, the best player available at the positions you've mentioned.

« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2010, 12:27:07 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
So the more I think about it I have talked myself out of wanting the pats to take a DE/OLB in the first round.  The bust rate of those picks is extremely high and I think the most important thing is finding a starter in the first round no matter what position.  Im thinking either OL/TE/WR in the first round for the pats.  

I like it, a potential #1 receiver would be nice. Someone that could step in as the #2 guy next season.

But yeah I agree, the best player available at the positions you've mentioned.

Yeah I agree with that also.  I'm really hoping though that Dez Bryant can slip to us.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2010, 12:30:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1633
  • What a Pub Should Be
Dez Bryant is the only realistic skilled position player thats projected in the 1st round that intrigues me.  Even then, there are some question marks about this guy.

Barring a Bryant pick, I'd like to see them go OL or defensive front 7 with their first rounder.  Given the crop of DE/LB out there, I'd personally feel more comfortable addressing OL/TE given the talent out there. 

I'd actually be kinda shocked if they stay at #22.  I think there's a distinct possibility that they trade out of that spot. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2010, 12:34:03 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Dez Bryant is the only realistic skilled position player thats projected in the 1st round that intrigues me.  Even then, there are some question marks about this guy.

Barring a Bryant pick, I'd like to see them go OL or defensive front 7 with their first rounder.  Given the crop of DE/LB out there, I'd personally feel more comfortable addressing OL/TE given the talent out there. 

I'd actually be kinda shocked if they stay at #22.  I think there's a distinct possibility that they trade out of that spot. 

I guess I also wouldnt mind if they took a guy like Odrick who can move to DE.

« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2010, 01:01:32 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Big day for the state of Oklahoma.  30-40% of the top ten picks in the NFL played at Oklahoma schools and will be millionaires overnight...and the Thunder have their first ever professional playoff game.

« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2010, 01:03:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
I can't wait for tonight.  Very exciting.

Players I've seen going to the Patriots in various (recent) mock drafts include:
Jermaine Gresham (TE)
Dez Bryant (WR)
Sergio Kindle (DE/OLB)
Earl Thomas (S)
Kyle Wilson (CB/PR)
Kareem Jackson (CB)

There's basically no consensus for what the Pats will do (which likely speaks to BB and smokescreens). 

Of the above, I'd be particularly interested in Bryant or Wilson.

I agree with the general sentiment about the risk of the DE/OLBs near the top of the draft, and would be fine with the Pats not selecting one in the first round. There are decent options later in the draft.

I'm also not that big on J. Gresham nor Rob Gronkowski (the next highest rated TE) because of injury history.

If the Patriots trade back to a later pick in the 1st round, WRs and RBs in which I would be interested are:
WRs Golden Tate, Damian Williams
RB Jhavid Best, Dexter McCluster
Celtics fan for life.