Author Topic: Tell me about your smart phone and service.  (Read 17607 times)

Tell me about your smart phone and service.
« on: October 02, 2009, 08:29:28 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Me and the wife are thinking about switching services from Verizon to something else this December when her phone plan is up (my contract has been up). I'm interested in a "Smart Phone" and have considered going the Iphone route....

What's the best deal one could get on a monthly smart phone plan? I've heard Verizon is unnecessarily expensive. Thoughts?

Re: Tell me about your smart phone and service.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 09:46:33 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I have an iphone and a blackberry (work).

The blackberry is a better phone.  Well, the Iphone is a 'cooler' phone and the apps on the iphone are outstanding. But, the iphone is slow (not the phone, the network, because it is overloaded).

If you care about speed of internet, thigns like that, go with a verizon phone. 

For mere functionality, the blackberry is better (however, DO NOT get a storm, it is a piece of junk).

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 09:52:02 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
as of next month, i'll have the htc hero on sprint.

sprints network is faster than verizons (i have identical blackberries right now, one on sprint, one on verizon for work)  and the sprint one is noticeably faster.  verizons coverage is slighty better though.

sprint is cheaper too.

the hero is iphone-ish in that it's mostly a touch interface.  its an android phone so there are tons of apps.  and unlike the iphone it can run more than one at a time.

5 mpx camera, plus really good video recording.  the early access reviews are killing it.  it's been available in asia for a well and is one of the best selling phones in the market.

negative:  180$ (after 100$ rebate)
God bless and good night!

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 10:04:11 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Cingular's 3G network needs major overhaul.

I think buying an iPhone in the next 3-6 months will end up being like buying a members only jacket in 1991. Sure, everyone has one...but the smart people are looking for something new, because its time.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 10:13:03 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
T-Mobile Blackberry Curve.  I went through Sam's Club and the phone was free and the service plan was dirty cheap - $40/month for 300 mins, Fave 5 unlimited calls, unlimited data, free nights and weekends, etc.  It's been great for me - having gchat on my phone really cuts down on texting, and the internet has been mostly excellent, with the exception of a few slow downs.

I'm happy with it.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:09:28 PM »

Online bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4598
T-Mobile Blackberry Curve.  I went through Sam's Club and the phone was free and the service plan was dirty cheap - $40/month for 300 mins, Fave 5 unlimited calls, unlimited data, free nights and weekends, etc.  It's been great for me - having gchat on my phone really cuts down on texting, and the internet has been mostly excellent, with the exception of a few slow downs.

I'm happy with it.

Well if you're just looking for the cheapest plan, I think T-Mobile is the best way to go.  I have the $40 My Faves plan, while 300 minutes seems low, talking to any 5 people unlimitedly is great (and you can change each 5 once a month, so if you play it right you can make it 10 people),  plus free nights and weekends.  You can get the MyTouch for like $150 now I think, which people tell me is better than the iphone and is 3G.  Plus they have a cheaper data plan than AT&T or Verizon.  I believe getting the web and unlimited texts costs $35 on T-Mobile, $50 on AT&T and $60 on Verizon.

BUT (see that's a big but), I think T-Mobile has the worst coverage.  I've had T-Mobile for 5 years now, and there's constantly times when I don't get service but people next to me with Verizon and AT&T have service.  It's fine out doors, but if you're ever inside a big building, there are many times you won't get service.  I find myself constantly going out to the hall or to the window to try and get service when I'm inside a building.  And this has happened to me across Texas, Connecticut, NYC, and Boston, and many other spots I've been. 

T-Mobile has the best and cheapest plans, but I hate their coverage (forget what their coverage map says).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:41:19 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I think buying an iPhone in the next 3-6 months will end up being like buying a members only jacket in 1991. Sure, everyone has one...but the smart people are looking for something new, because its time.
I did not upgrade to a 3gs (from a 3g) because I feel better options might be available in a year. My 2 main concerns are (1) network and (2) functionality. I am troubled by how closed the iPhone OS is, though I will try jailbreaking the phone soon.

The iphone has really weak email, which also annoys me.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 12:43:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I did not upgrade to a 3gs (from a 3g) because I feel better options might be available in a year. My 2 main concerns are (1) network and (2) functionality. I am troubled by how closed the iPhone OS is, though I will try jailbreaking the phone soon.

Jailbreaking is super easy if its anything like with the 3rd gen touch.

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 01:00:53 PM »

Offline wjb3000

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16

Don't know if I completely agree with this.  I do agree that something better will be available in a year...but then again something better is always coming in a year. 

As far as email goes, the concern is a very valid one.  I have an iPhone for personal (ATT) use and a Curve for work use (Verizon).  Unless you are the read only type and don't email too often, then the iPhone isn't for you.  As far as network coverage goes, ATT is adequate (unless you travel to VERY rural locations), but Verizon is fantastic.  I just moved from Boston to Michigan and my Verizon service is fantastic, but ATT can get spotty unless you are close to a metro area (3G coverage is even worse so keep that in mind).  I do a lot of travel and this is generally the case.

As far as positives go...the iPhone is great if you want a consolidated device (phone/music/gps/entertainment).  The camera is VGA, which isnt even worth using, so don't count on any good pics.  And although the firmware is limiting, there are plenty of unbelievable apps with a lot of functional usability for things you would never even think of.  If all you want is to be able to call/email people then a Blackberry is great.  I have had 3 Curves over the past 3 years (don't worry, by my own doing) and they are fantastic and affordable phones.  Stay away from the Pre and the Storm at all cost.

In the end, what it comes down to is what you need the phone to be for you. 

And don't forget, a lot of larger companies have discount arrangements with the major carriers.  In the past few years I have had 20 and 22% of my ATT bill at the two companies I have worked at.  Just keep this in mind.     

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »

Offline wjb3000

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
This was just posted on cnn.com...pretty interesting and relevant to this thread.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/02/iphone.att.service/index.html

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
Does anyone have a Palm Pre?  I'm thinking of getting one of those when my contract is up (next month).

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 01:42:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Does anyone have a Palm Pre?  I'm thinking of getting one of those when my contract is up (next month).

I heard bad things.

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 01:55:11 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I heard bad things.

Bad like Patrick O'Bryant or bad like Shaft?

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 02:06:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I debated the options for several months.  Finally someone convinced me to get an iphone.  The only reason I was really holding off was because there were no turn-by-turn gps options on it at the time and also because I was worried about typing using the touch screen (I am pretty quick using t9... figured it would slow me down)

Had the iphone 3gs for a couple months and I love everything about it.  Very impressed with it.  I can type fine with it.  I use several of the apps.  I use it to access 5 different e-mail accounts including my work e-mail and I have pretty much no complaints.   I love it.  The only time I've ever had any issues whatsoever with the network was when I was at a Seattle music festival called Bumbershoot surrounded by thousands of people.  I think everyone was having trouble with their cell phone service at that point.  Other than that, it's been fantastic.

I have a couple friends who have Tmobile and the Google Android G1 that came out... they complain constantly.  Their web browser is basically useless.  Their network is constantly down.   I have no such problems with my iphone.  It rules.

I have only one legit complaint about the iphone.   Here it is... everyone has it.  Everyone.  I go to a restaurant or bar with friends and they all pull out iphones.  In that instant I feel a little bit like a gweedo or something.  I feel like I'm part of some brainwashing cult.  I bring it up every time that I feel like a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. for having an iphone and joke that apple probably implanted mind control chips in there so that they can take over the world at some point.    But my buddy brought up a good point.   It's simply the best phone out there.  People can nitpick, but it's popular for a reason.  I haven't been disappointed at all.

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 02:09:44 PM »

Offline billyb3

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Keep in mind that if you go with Sprint, your phone will roam on Verizon (voice & data)...so you can get Sprint's cheaper pricing and faster data network...and still enjoy Verizon's coverage in rural areas.