Author Topic: Tell me about your smart phone and service.  (Read 17633 times)

Re: Tell me about your smart phone and service.
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:53 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I've tried Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, Cingular, what else?!? Hospital use is extremely limited function by order, (depends on where you work), but it's mainly only as a "page" function while on grounds, and where I work now does not allow iPhones, period, (though no one really knows why).

Doesn't matter for me anyway, however, because I'm a tight-wad, and I would never pay that kind of money for a phone, no matter what it does. AT&T charges are also absolutely absurd, and I make a great deal of international calls.

The T-Mobile plan I have now is by far superior to all the other carriers I've used, and the customer service is also the best I've had, (love those T-Mobile folks!). The phone is not comparable in functions to other "smart" phones, but perfect for my needs, and popular where I am in the medical communitites especially.

It's small and thin, and while the texting is a bit more precise with the size, (comes with a plectrum, but I haven't needed it), it's perfect for the pocket in a lab coat or scrubs. I also go through them quickly, (lose them often, get abused at work), and the price doesn't hurt. It's a Nokia Nuron ... no big whoop to the tekkies out there, but just what is needed for me, and reliable.

T-Moblie rocks.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 11:22:30 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
T-Mobile Blackberry Curve.  I went through Sam's Club and the phone was free and the service plan was dirty cheap - $40/month for 300 mins, Fave 5 unlimited calls, unlimited data, free nights and weekends, etc.  It's been great for me - having gchat on my phone really cuts down on texting, and the internet has been mostly excellent, with the exception of a few slow downs.

I'm happy with it.

Well if you're just looking for the cheapest plan, I think T-Mobile is the best way to go.  I have the $40 My Faves plan, while 300 minutes seems low, talking to any 5 people unlimitedly is great (and you can change each 5 once a month, so if you play it right you can make it 10 people),  plus free nights and weekends.  You can get the MyTouch for like $150 now I think, which people tell me is better than the iphone and is 3G.  Plus they have a cheaper data plan than AT&T or Verizon.  I believe getting the web and unlimited texts costs $35 on T-Mobile, $50 on AT&T and $60 on Verizon.

BUT (see that's a big but), I think T-Mobile has the worst coverage.  I've had T-Mobile for 5 years now, and there's constantly times when I don't get service but people next to me with Verizon and AT&T have service.  It's fine out doors, but if you're ever inside a big building, there are many times you won't get service.  I find myself constantly going out to the hall or to the window to try and get service when I'm inside a building.  And this has happened to me across Texas, Connecticut, NYC, and Boston, and many other spots I've been.  

T-Mobile has the best and cheapest plans, but I hate their coverage (forget what their coverage map says).

Yeah ... Sprint, (from my experience in Maine and Int.), has the best coverage area, even over AT&T and Verizon, but the customer service and pricing is the best at T-Mobile. (Give them a little time, the coverage will compare ... they're growing fast).

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 11:41:45 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i got a phone.....but it isnt very smart  ;)

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 11:48:22 PM »

Offline blackberry33

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I have T-mobile blackberry bold. I love this phone. Blackberry is a secure amazing tool. I like the keyboard and all the apps. I am looking at buying the Torch but I hate At&t. BB33

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 12:16:33 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
i got a phone.....but it isnt very smart  ;)

TP. (I think my phone is smarter than I am ... I couldn't find a poopy in the snow, but this thing takes me anywhere I want to go!). ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:36:40 AM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 01:18:21 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Just got a new HTC Incredible. It's got the crazy 1 gigahertz Snapdragon processor, Anroid OS, full touch screen.

I got it through Verizon (US Cellular treated me like absolute crap when I went in to get a new phone yesterday so I told them to stick it and went to Verizon, mostly because it was only a mile away.)

I've got 1400 minutes with unlimited text and data for just over 50 bucks a month. The phone itself was two or three hundred, but with a mail in rebate for 100 back.

It didn't take me long at all to figure out why it was called the Incredible. The phone's just amazing. On my home screen I've got all my social stuff like Facebook, Gmail and my favorite contacts bar. Then I just have a a few helpful apps on the next page. (Ie, Notes, camera shortcut, marketplace, yellow pages, GPS Navigation and an App Killer.)

Third home page is my designated media widget space. I've only got Pandora and Youtube on there now but I am LOVING the widgets. Those are sort of like apps, but just a lot handier version.

Then I got some games and game demos. I haven't filled out the other couple pages yet.

It runs so smoothly, it's been amazingly fast so far. Awesome 8 megapixle camera. 3G is awesome for finding stuff to do when I'm out and about.

But, by far my favorite thing right now is the GBA emulators. I'm sitting here playing Castlevenia and Pokemon on my Incredible. Geeky? Yes. But awesome.

*edit; I should probably also add that I've had an iPod Touch and a BB Storm II. Until yesterday I had been using a broken down old Moto Rokr. Ok, obviously it's like upgrading from a 40 year old big wheel to a Lamborghini when it comes to the Incredible and the Rokr, but neither of the other phones (Ipod) can come close to touching what the Inredible has right now. It's amazing.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:27:02 AM by lon3lytoaster »

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 01:39:11 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599
T-Mobile Blackberry Curve.  I went through Sam's Club and the phone was free and the service plan was dirty cheap - $40/month for 300 mins, Fave 5 unlimited calls, unlimited data, free nights and weekends, etc.  It's been great for me - having gchat on my phone really cuts down on texting, and the internet has been mostly excellent, with the exception of a few slow downs.

I'm happy with it.

Well if you're just looking for the cheapest plan, I think T-Mobile is the best way to go.  I have the $40 My Faves plan, while 300 minutes seems low, talking to any 5 people unlimitedly is great (and you can change each 5 once a month, so if you play it right you can make it 10 people),  plus free nights and weekends.  You can get the MyTouch for like $150 now I think, which people tell me is better than the iphone and is 3G.  Plus they have a cheaper data plan than AT&T or Verizon.  I believe getting the web and unlimited texts costs $35 on T-Mobile, $50 on AT&T and $60 on Verizon.

BUT (see that's a big but), I think T-Mobile has the worst coverage.  I've had T-Mobile for 5 years now, and there's constantly times when I don't get service but people next to me with Verizon and AT&T have service.  It's fine out doors, but if you're ever inside a big building, there are many times you won't get service.  I find myself constantly going out to the hall or to the window to try and get service when I'm inside a building.  And this has happened to me across Texas, Connecticut, NYC, and Boston, and many other spots I've been. 

T-Mobile has the best and cheapest plans, but I hate their coverage (forget what their coverage map says).

Yeah ... Sprint, (from my experience in Maine and Int.), has the best coverage area, even over AT&T and Verizon, but the customer service and pricing is the best at T-Mobile. (Give them a little time, the coverage will compare ... they're growing fast).

So ya, I posted that about a year ago, and I've changed my mind.  I think T-Mobile's coverage has gotten a lot better.  My girlfriend has AT&T and lives in Boston.  We pretty much have the same phone, I have the Motorola Cliq and she has the Motorola Backflip (pretty much the same thing, just different carriers).  I constantly have coverage now where she doesn't.  She had to get a landline in her old apartment because she got such poor reception, while I had all my bars.  Seems like T-Mobile's coverage has gotten a lot better.  Still a few times in big office buildings where I feel like I don't have coverage while others do, but overall I'm very happy with the coverage now.

Don't know whose fault this is, but whenever she calls me the connection is poor, whenever I call her the connection is good.  So she'll call me, and I'll have to call her right back so we can have a conversation.  When she calls me it's like she's on a walkie-talkie (and she's had several phones over the last few months, so I know it's not the phone).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Just got a new HTC Incredible. It's got the crazy 1 gigahertz Snapdragon processor, Anroid OS, full touch screen.

I got it through Verizon (US Cellular treated me like absolute crap when I went in to get a new phone yesterday so I told them to stick it and went to Verizon, mostly because it was only a mile away.)

I've got 1400 minutes with unlimited text and data for just over 50 bucks a month. The phone itself was two or three hundred, but with a mail in rebate for 100 back.

It didn't take me long at all to figure out why it was called the Incredible. The phone's just amazing. On my home screen I've got all my social stuff like Facebook, Gmail and my favorite contacts bar. Then I just have a a few helpful apps on the next page. (Ie, Notes, camera shortcut, marketplace, yellow pages, GPS Navigation and an App Killer.)

Third home page is my designated media widget space. I've only got Pandora and Youtube on there now but I am LOVING the widgets. Those are sort of like apps, but just a lot handier version.

Then I got some games and game demos. I haven't filled out the other couple pages yet.

It runs so smoothly, it's been amazingly fast so far. Awesome 8 megapixle camera. 3G is awesome for finding stuff to do when I'm out and about.

But, by far my favorite thing right now is the GBA emulators. I'm sitting here playing Castlevenia and Pokemon on my Incredible. Geeky? Yes. But awesome.

*edit; I should probably also add that I've had an iPod Touch and a BB Storm II. Until yesterday I had been using a broken down old Moto Rokr. Ok, obviously it's like upgrading from a 40 year old big wheel to a Lamborghini when it comes to the Incredible and the Rokr, but neither of the other phones (Ipod) can come close to touching what the Inredible has right now. It's amazing.

I love my incredible.  I have yet to find something I don't like about it.  And once spotify comes to the US, it will be even better.

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 10:35:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be

I love my incredible.  I have yet to find something I don't like about it.  And once spotify comes to the US, it will be even better.

So, is it one of the Droids?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 10:49:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I have a Droid X.  I like it a lot.  I think the Blackberry may be a little better for things like email, etc., but the Droid has a ton of apps, has a good camera / camcorder, and is on a great network.  The phone / sound quality is great, too.

Now, if they'd only hurry up and release the Android 2.2 update for it...

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2010, 10:51:29 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

So, is it one of the Droids?

Yeah.  And I got this when my blackberry Curve died a few months ago.  Granted the curve wasn't top of the line, but this does everything the blackberry did, plus much more. 

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2010, 11:24:06 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I have an Iphone 3GS and a Blackberyy Bold 9700....Iphone is pretty cool and has lots of fun apps..but IMO BB is more functional...BB's email service and messenger service is awesome. I'm on Rogers network in Canada..so I can't comment on the service. If you are looking for a cool phone with lots of apps...then go with the Iphone...but if you're looking for a smart phone for emails/calls/msgs etc...go with the BB.

EDIT: Iphone's Safari browser is better than BB's browser IMO. Also, Iphone has a better GPS.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:28:31 PM by barefacedmonk »
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 11:53:05 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I have a samsung moment (compatible to be synced with mac or pc) with sprint service family plan.  I have pretty much unlimited everything (text, data, minutes) and I pay just over 50 dollars a month (tax included.)  A few months ago my brother, his girlfriend and I were looking into changing up our phone service and coming together to do a family plan with one of the providers.  We all had sprint and I lead the charge to move to a different provider because I personally had some frustrating experiences with sprint over the 8 years I'd had their service (stores were awful, shoddy reception in many places in MA, customer service was sucky, they had charged me money for illegitimate things, and other forms of completely unhelpful/angering service.)  We went to each and all of the major providers and did a real comparison of what you get for what you pay.  Verizon and AT&T had us in the $80's per month in cost, T-Mobile had us in the $70's per month in cost for the same service we now have at just over $50 with Sprint.  In the end the price couldn't be beat and Sprint has gotten a lot better over the years at not doing the things that bothered me before.

So I have sprint, i don't pay very much for it, and I had a fast easy to use android phone.  I went from really wanting an Iphone (since I was so familiar with the iTouch) but now I'm glad to be where I'm at with my phone.

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2010, 12:22:10 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

The absolute worst things I can say about the Incredible is that it's a fingerprint magnet. I guess it's unavoidable on the touch screen, but I would have liked to of had a flat black surrounding the screen, like on the back of the phone.

Then I noticed it can run a little hot at times.

But if that's the worse I can come put with, it's gotta be pretty darn good.

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010, 12:33:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I have an Iphone 3GS and a Blackberyy Bold 9700....Iphone is pretty cool and has lots of fun apps..but IMO BB is more functional...BB's email service and messenger service is awesome. I'm on Rogers network in Canada..so I can't comment on the service. If you are looking for a cool phone with lots of apps...then go with the Iphone...but if you're looking for a smart phone for emails/calls/msgs etc...go with the BB.

EDIT: Iphone's Safari browser is better than BB's browser IMO. Also, Iphone has a better GPS.
I actually hate Safari on the iPhone. I use Atomic Web, a 3rd party browser.