Author Topic: Tell me about your smart phone and service.  (Read 17610 times)

Re: Tell me about your smart phone and service.
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2010, 12:38:04 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
T-Mobile Blackberry Curve.  I went through Sam's Club and the phone was free and the service plan was dirty cheap - $40/month for 300 mins, Fave 5 unlimited calls, unlimited data, free nights and weekends, etc.  It's been great for me - having gchat on my phone really cuts down on texting, and the internet has been mostly excellent, with the exception of a few slow downs.

I'm happy with it.

Well if you're just looking for the cheapest plan, I think T-Mobile is the best way to go.  I have the $40 My Faves plan, while 300 minutes seems low, talking to any 5 people unlimitedly is great (and you can change each 5 once a month, so if you play it right you can make it 10 people),  plus free nights and weekends.  You can get the MyTouch for like $150 now I think, which people tell me is better than the iphone and is 3G.  Plus they have a cheaper data plan than AT&T or Verizon.  I believe getting the web and unlimited texts costs $35 on T-Mobile, $50 on AT&T and $60 on Verizon.

BUT (see that's a big but), I think T-Mobile has the worst coverage.  I've had T-Mobile for 5 years now, and there's constantly times when I don't get service but people next to me with Verizon and AT&T have service.  It's fine out doors, but if you're ever inside a big building, there are many times you won't get service.  I find myself constantly going out to the hall or to the window to try and get service when I'm inside a building.  And this has happened to me across Texas, Connecticut, NYC, and Boston, and many other spots I've been. 

T-Mobile has the best and cheapest plans, but I hate their coverage (forget what their coverage map says).

Yeah ... Sprint, (from my experience in Maine and Int.), has the best coverage area, even over AT&T and Verizon, but the customer service and pricing is the best at T-Mobile. (Give them a little time, the coverage will compare ... they're growing fast).

So ya, I posted that about a year ago, and I've changed my mind.  I think T-Mobile's coverage has gotten a lot better.  My girlfriend has AT&T and lives in Boston.  We pretty much have the same phone, I have the Motorola Cliq and she has the Motorola Backflip (pretty much the same thing, just different carriers).  I constantly have coverage now where she doesn't.  She had to get a landline in her old apartment because she got such poor reception, while I had all my bars.  Seems like T-Mobile's coverage has gotten a lot better.  Still a few times in big office buildings where I feel like I don't have coverage while others do, but overall I'm very happy with the coverage now.

Don't know whose fault this is, but whenever she calls me the connection is poor, whenever I call her the connection is good.  So she'll call me, and I'll have to call her right back so we can have a conversation.  When she calls me it's like she's on a walkie-talkie (and she's had several phones over the last few months, so I know it's not the phone).
Any talk about coverage can't be anecdotal unless you are just talking about coverage in places you frequent.

For example. AT&T has good performance but a bad reputation because of their problems in NYC and SF since the iPhone launch. The numbers don't actually support the myth though nationally.

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I have an Iphone 3GS and a Blackberyy Bold 9700....Iphone is pretty cool and has lots of fun apps..but IMO BB is more functional...BB's email service and messenger service is awesome. I'm on Rogers network in Canada..so I can't comment on the service. If you are looking for a cool phone with lots of apps...then go with the Iphone...but if you're looking for a smart phone for emails/calls/msgs etc...go with the BB.

EDIT: Iphone's Safari browser is better than BB's browser IMO. Also, Iphone has a better GPS.
I actually hate Safari on the iPhone. I use Atomic Web, a 3rd party browser.

Its better than BB's browser IMO. I haven't used any other browesrs for IPhone. How did you get Atomic Web? Do you have to download it?
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 12:51:54 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
If you want the ultimate all-in-one device, then iPhone is really the only way to go. If there's anything you've ever thought you might like to be able to do with your phone, iPhone probably does it.

However, as others have said, AT&T's network is overloaded (because millions of people love the iPhone). They simply can't keep up with the demand for network bandwidth. Part of that is AT&T's fault for being too slow in beefing up their infrastructure, but part of it is also Apple's fault (tongue in cheek) for building such a useful device. So, if you want "blazing" fast speeds on your mobile device that rival the speeds of your home broadband connection, then the iPhone will probably frustrate you. For me, I've never expected my mobile device to perform as quickly as my computer at home.

That said, the other problem with the overloaded AT&T network is dropped calls. I don't spend a ton of time actually talking on the phone, but dropped calls and/or bad connections really bite. So again, if you talk a lot on your mobile and really rely on it (e.g., if you have no land line phone), then the iPhone might be quite frustrating.

Personally, I'm optimistic that despite AT&T dropping the ball, they'll eventually catch up on their infrastructure and then everything will be fine. And if they don't, Apple will be forced to drop them as the exclusive U.S. carrier and then Verizon or someone else can hopefully do better at managing bandwidth issues.

It is a bit of an illusion that the iPhone is the ultimate all-in-one device since Apple is often playing catch up to Android phone functionality. The iOS 4 launch was mostly trying to get function parity with Android. WebOS seems to be the slickest phone OS.

I have a 3G and have had it for over 2 years. The greatest thing I ever did with it was jailbreak it. The user experience is so much better once you add apps like SBSettings that improve on obvious failures in UI development. It is ridiculous how much effort is needed to turn on/off wifi or location services with an iPhone (and with most smart phones historically). SBSettings makes it quick and easy.

I think reception issues will fundamentally change in the next year when every carrier rolls out 4G. I assume the next iPhone will be called the 4G and I assume that is why they used the name '3GS' for their 3rd model -- to allow them to use the '4g' moniker in time for AT&T's 4G network next year. Rolling out 4G in NYC and SF would go a long way to solving AT&T's PR problem.

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I have an Iphone 3GS and a Blackberyy Bold 9700....Iphone is pretty cool and has lots of fun apps..but IMO BB is more functional...BB's email service and messenger service is awesome. I'm on Rogers network in Canada..so I can't comment on the service. If you are looking for a cool phone with lots of apps...then go with the Iphone...but if you're looking for a smart phone for emails/calls/msgs etc...go with the BB.

EDIT: Iphone's Safari browser is better than BB's browser IMO. Also, Iphone has a better GPS.

Its better than BB's browser IMO. I haven't used any other browesrs for IPhone. How did you get Atomic Web? Do you have to download it?
Cost me 99 cents.

I agree with you that Safari on the iPhone is good compared to previous offerings on many other platforms.

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 01:15:24 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

Cost me 99 cents.

I agree with you that Safari on the iPhone is good compared to previous offerings on many other platforms.

How did you jailbreak your Iphone? Was it easy? I would like to try and jailbreak mine...you may PM me if you'd like.

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2010, 02:02:55 PM »

Offline Banner_18

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8

Cost me 99 cents.

How did you jailbreak your Iphone? Was it easy? I would like to try and jailbreak mine...you may PM me if you'd like.

For the record, I don't have my iphone jailbroken yet, but you can just do it directly from your phone. Go to jailbreakme.com

iPhone (and in my case, iPhone 4) is simply spectacular. As far as dropped calls, I haven't gotten any at any time, except for when I call my dad, who also has an iPhone. The user interface is just beautiful and smooth, especially with the "retina display." Apps are brilliant. It's also really cool to just search for a restaurant, and then touch the number on the web page to call them. I know someone who has an HTC Evo, and while it is a very good phone, (great performance and speed size) I just don't find it as user friendly and intuitive as the iPhone. Also, I don't care to carry such a large device in my pocket. I also tried the Blackberry Bold, and it is a great phone, as well.

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2010, 02:08:39 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1633
  • What a Pub Should Be
Thanks for the inputs from people.

I ended up staying in the BB family and rolling the dice on the Torch.  Granted I've only had it for like two hours but having a blast playing with it so far.  Love the touchscreen and keypad feature.  Been using both for emails. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2010, 02:16:11 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Cost me 99 cents.

Most manufacturers have the codes available on their sites, but there are other sites where they index jailbreal and unlock SIM codes.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2010, 01:40:02 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Thanks, Bahku and Banner 18. TP :)

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2010, 05:07:18 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Cost me 99 cents.

I used jailbreakme.com. It is incredibly easy, but I don't know if the most recent OS update that fixed the PDF security hole changed the effectiveness of that site.

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2010, 05:19:12 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
Do people not use Nokia phones in the U.S?  I've never had another type.  I have the 5800 at the mo.  Waiting (impatiently) for the N8 to be released ..
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2010, 05:25:49 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Do people not use Nokia phones in the U.S?  I've never had another type.  I have the 5800 at the mo.  Waiting (impatiently) for the N8 to be released ..

You just need to go back further in the thread, I guess ... I posted that I have a Nokia Nuron. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2010, 05:30:39 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123

You just need to go back further in the thread, I guess ... I posted that I have a Nokia Nuron. ;)

D'Oh!  Missed a page!  I forgot that the Nokia phones in the US have names.  My current is the Tube then ...
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2010, 12:11:19 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I have the samsung propel, and since unlimited texting is 30 a months for the family plan, that works out to be just under 8 a phone with the 4 phones on my plan.

unlimited data is 10 a phone if you don't have a bb or iphone, so im pretty cool with unlimited text + data at 18 bones a phone.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2010, 12:14:45 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
I used jailbreakme.com. It is incredibly easy, but I don't know if the most recent OS update that fixed the PDF security hole changed the effectiveness of that site.

Thanks. I'm going to try to jailbreak my IPhone and the BB. TP for the help.