Author Topic: 2009 Celticsblog Draft: Draft Thread  (Read 1099126 times)

Re: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Pacific Divison
« Reply #5580 on: August 12, 2009, 03:34:12 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
5) Houston has repeatedly criticized your bench, saying that it was on par with Chicago's.  This was done even before Kleiza was lost.  How do you respond to this criticism?

Did I fall asleep at the wheel again? That's embarrassing.

Still, I was right about Kleiza. Also, a comparison to the New Bulls DynastyTM is also a compliment. Buffalo and Chicago have two of the league's best starting lineups.

But now I'm curious. Since Portland disagrees (is that right?) that the benches are comparable, how do you match the two up?

Here is Buffalo's bench versus Chicago's bench.

Linas Kleiza vs. Ryan Anderson
James Jones vs. James Johnson
Zaza Pachulia vs. Hilton Armstrong
Quentin Richardson vs. Deshawn Stevenson
Sergio Rodriguez vs. Jason Williams

Other than a clear advantage in the middle (the Braves also have Brian Skinner while Hilton Armstrong is headed out of the league) I just don't see the difference. In fact, after Bulls' deadline shuffling I give Chicago's backcourt the edge.

Also, I know Chicago's GM would want me to mention Keith Bogans, which I failed to do the first time around.

Of the players you listed, and disregarding Kleiza,

James Jones > James Johnson, at least until Johnson proves something in the league.  Jones is a proven role player and an elite shooter; Johnson has proven nothing.

Zaza Pachulia > Hilton Armstrong.  Zaza is stronger, scores more, and is a much better rebounder.

Quentin Richardson > Deshawn Stevenson.  I don't like either player, but QRich was a *significantly* better scorer, rebounder, and shooter last season, and he's not coming off a major back injury.

Sergio Rodriguez > Jason Williams.  Williams has been out of the league for a year.  He was in decline before taking a year off, so I can't imagine he's gotten much better.  Rodriquez, on the other hand, earned a place in a playoff team's rotation.

Brian Skinner < Ryan Anderson.  Chicago has him here.
I have to agree with everything Roy said here.

I prefer Deshawn to Q. I think it's unfair to compare Deshawn's one injury yr to Q's rare healthy yr.

I prefer Bogans/Johnson/Buddinger to James Jones

I prefer Jason Williams/Javaris to Sergio, though I like Sergio.

I prefer Ryan Anderson significantly to Skinner

I prefer Zaza over Armstrong, though Armstrong fits our style better.

I see the Bulls and Braves in the Finals. I doubt we'd each have ten man rotations in the Finals though. The Lakers basically went with a 7 man rotation. I think Anderson, Deshawn, J-Will, Zaza, Q, and Sergio will do fine in the Finals.  

Neither Chicago nor Buffalo is good enough to reach the Finals, in my opinion, although some of the alliances you've built may get you there.

Alliances?  ;D  Just because I don't think that Portland has what it takes to succeed in the playoffs doesn't mean I think they're bad. I have you winning your division and you could even make the WCF.

Not trying to hijack the Pacific presser. My presser was last week, but I think its key for teams without MVP candidates to try and bring down the teams with the stars. Even though in reality the teams that win championships always have an MVP caliber player. Only exception being the Pistons in '04 which were led by a solid point guard and a great defense against a flawed Lakers team with bitter super stars, rape allegations, marriage problems, coaches leaving, and two old former stars that were asked to take lesser roles in Malone and Payton.

« Reply #5581 on: August 12, 2009, 03:35:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I won't say they both make the Finals because I want to see what the playoff matchups are like because I think both teams have teams out there that if they meet them in the playoff the will lose to, but, my #1's in both conferences are Cleveland and Buffalo.

Oops, sorry. I meant Sacramento :D

I understand Buffalo; I have them as #2.

But Cleveland?  I guess I'll have to go re-examine their team.
Now that I went back and looked probably Toronto. But Cleveland is definitely winning their division

« Reply #5582 on: August 12, 2009, 03:37:03 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
I won't say they both make the Finals because I want to see what the playoff matchups are like because I think both teams have teams out there that if they meet them in the playoff the will lose to, but, my #1's in both conferences are Cleveland and Buffalo.

Now that I went back and looked probably Toronto. But Cleveland is definitely winning their division

And Nick has just gotten Toronto's and Cleveland's vote  ;D

« Reply #5583 on: August 12, 2009, 03:37:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Toronto is my #1 seed in the East.  No guarantees they'll make the Finals, but I like their squad the best.

Top four in each conference, as I have it right now:

1. Toronto
2. Orlando
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia

1. Portland
2. Buffalo
3. Dallas
4. Seattle

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5584 on: August 12, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Alliances?  ;D 

The alliances comment wasn't meant as an insult.  You've played a very social and strategic game with your fellow GMs.  You've had spats with maybe 3 or 4, but you've been very respectful to the other 25 or so.  For instance, strategically deciding not to rank the teams in your own division was intelligent, if less than candid.

Also, you'll benefit because a few GMs hold grudges, and will vote for your team to "punish" another one.

(Apologies if this is hi-jacking the thread; the press conference seems to have taken a slight hiatus for the moment.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #5585 on: August 12, 2009, 03:41:48 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker

Alliances?  ;D 

The alliances comment wasn't meant as an insult.  You've played a very social and strategic game with your fellow GMs.  You've had spats with maybe 3 or 4, but you've been very respectful to the other 25 or so.  For instance, strategically deciding not to rank the teams in your own division was intelligent, if less than candid.

Also, you'll benefit because a few GMs hold grudges, and will vote for your team to "punish" another one.

I'd say Toronto has a nice alliance with you.

« Reply #5586 on: August 12, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
But again how the teams finish the regular season is going to mean less than the head versus head playoff series.

Buffalo(oops I meant Sacramento again) will win the regular season in the West but I think they may not beat either Seattle or Portland in a 7 game series.

Orlando is going to be on everyone's favorite list in the East but could see them losing to a team like New Jersey or my Boxers in the first round.

Regular season is one thing but it's the matchups in the playoffs that will determine the winner. LeBron  and Orlando better pray they don't get NJ in the first round with Pierce and Posey and Lee and Rasheed.

« Reply #5587 on: August 12, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Alliances?  ;D 

How so?  Because I like their team?  I don't go out of my way to trump them up in random threads, though, or call them the "New Toronto Dynasty".

Like I said, it wasn't an insult.  You've played the game well, and might just win on the strength of some of those alliances.  I don't think you have the best team, although I do think you've top-3 in your conference and top-8 in the Fake NBA.

« Reply #5588 on: August 12, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker

Alliances?  ;D 

How so?  Because I like their team?  I don't go out of my way to trump them up in random threads, though, or call them the "New Toronto Dynasty".

Like I said, it wasn't an insult.  You've played the game well, and might just win on the strength of some of those alliances.  I don't think you have the best team, although I do think you've top-3 in your conference and top-8 in the Fake NBA.

I think the alliances comment is taking the game too seriously, which you've asked others not to. With Toronto, I'm just saying its helped him to have the highest ranking mod on his side a couple times. Not to do with rankings, but the other stuff he starts with the Bulls and other teams.

« Reply #5589 on: August 12, 2009, 03:50:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Here's my top 4 in each conference:

1.) Buffalo
2.) Portland
3.) Houston
4.) Seattle

1.) Toronto
2.) Orlando
3.) Cleveland
4.) Chicago

« Reply #5590 on: August 12, 2009, 03:51:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Not to do with rankings, but the other stuff he starts with the Bulls and other teams.

We're really going a bit off-topic now, but the inference that Toronto is getting preferential treatment from the staff is uncalled for.  To say that Toronto has the one starting the conflicts with your team just isn't accurate; you've both been warned for making things too personal, not only with each other, but with other teams, as well.

« Reply #5591 on: August 12, 2009, 03:51:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

1.) Buffalo Sacramento - sorry keep making that mistake
2.) Portland
3.) Houston
4.) Seattle

1.) Toronto
2.) Orlando
3.) Cleveland
4.) Chicago

« Reply #5592 on: August 12, 2009, 03:51:50 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

Just because Houston's GM made a smart business decision to trademark "New Bulls Dynasty" from the draft thread, don't drag us into this.

But, on a slightly more serious note, you've made your case against me Roy, why can't we leave it at that?

« Reply #5593 on: August 12, 2009, 03:53:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

1.) Buffalo
2.) Portland
3.) Houston
4.) Seattle

1.) Toronto
2.) Orlando
3.) Cleveland
4.) Chicago

It's interesting, just as an example of how subjective this whole thing is.  We agree on three of the four top teams, but I have one of your division winners missing the playoffs in each conference (each ranking 9th).

« Reply #5594 on: August 12, 2009, 03:54:28 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Edit Wrong thread
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16