Author Topic: Allen Iverson is a team player...  (Read 14405 times)

Allen Iverson is a team player...
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:17:35 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
... or not.  His quote about being a sixth man:

When a reporter asked him how he was feeling in his second game back after missing 16 games with a sore back, he responded: "How many minutes did I play?"

Told 18 minutes, he said, "[dang]."

When asked to clarify his feelings he said: "Nah, it felt way, way less than that.

"Eighteen minutes, c'mon, man. I can play 18 minutes with my eyes closed, with a 100-pound truck on my back. That's a bad feeling.

"I'm wondering what the rush was to get me back. I mean, for that?"
"This is a bad time for me mentally," Iverson said. "I'm just trying to get through it without starting a bunch of nonsense. ... I'm just trying to laugh as much as I can man to stop from crying."

Link.

For anybody hoping we sign Iverson in the off-season to provide scoring off the bench, let the above be a lesson to you.  The ironic part about that whole rant is the charge that the Pistons "rushed" him, when he was out for something like a month despite there being no tangible medical evidence that he was injured.  I guess nobody is mistaking AI for KG or Kevin McHale at this stage of his career.

I'll be very interested to see what team offers Iverson a contract in the off-season.  Whoever it is better be prepared for the same prima donna he's always been.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Allen Iverson is a team player...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:20:48 AM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Stupid Pistons... Acquiring a player with a suspect team orientation mentality to use off the bench. They should have gone after a more proven teammate... You know, like Marbury.

HAHA the best part is Marbury seems to be working out great.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 10:27:55 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
What a fool... AI is as selfish as he is clueless. The guy does not get it! It's as clear to me now as it was when the deal took place, the main incentive for the Pistons was cap relief.

I can see a team like the Clippers trying to bring him in. Not sure what their cap situation in like next season but a "sign and trade" would probably be the scenario.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:36:29 AM by Jsaad »

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Iverson is going to be in for a rude awakening when he sees what his market value is going to be this offseason.  He really shouldn't be a starter at this point.  He can still put up big numbers but I think its pretty obvious that he doesn't help a team win games.  He is horrible defensively, not a pure point guard, and he dribbles too much for a shooting guard.  He is absolutely in his correct role now- 6th man scoring machine.  We had a thread on Gary Sheffield yesterday, and that's who Iverson reminds me of.  The guy is going to be a below average old player some day, and he's still going to think he should play 40 minutes and take 25 shots a game.  And if he doesn't get that, he's going to blame everyone else but himself.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:38:50 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3780
  • Yup
Makes you respect Marbury for the team player he is.

(gulps down the green soft beverage)
Yup

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:44:11 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I kind of disagree with everyone else here. Iverson is way too good to be coming off the bench, it's not his fault the Pistons made an incredibly dumb trade. Anyone could have told you that having him and Rip was a dumb choice, and that there was no way to avoid the problem with minutes that they have now. Of course AI isn't a top name anymore but he still is a premier scorer in the NBA, and to a lot of teams/fans that's all that matter. He needs to be on a team where he is the number one option with a good low post player and build around them, Minnesota comes to mind.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:49:46 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Agreed.  Marbury's attitude has been great.

Iverson needs to embrace his bench role to at least appear like a team player.  I understand his frustration about last night's game though.  He was the only one playing well against the Cavs and still didn't get more than 18 minutes. Curry did a terrible job with his rotations last night. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:51:05 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I was just looking around the league... Based on teams situations I can't see anyone bring him in! Could AI be out of the league!?  ;D

I think it would come down to the Clippers, Bobcats or Rockets for the MLE? Is that possible?

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I kind of disagree with everyone else here. Iverson is way too good to be coming off the bench, it's not his fault the Pistons made an incredibly dumb trade. Anyone could have told you that having him and Rip was a dumb choice, and that there was no way to avoid the problem with minutes that they have now. Of course AI isn't a top name anymore but he still is a premier scorer in the NBA, and to a lot of teams/fans that's all that matter. He needs to be on a team where he is the number one option with a good low post player and build around them, Minnesota comes to mind.

He's not good enough to be the #1 option anymore. And he has shown no ability to adapt and by his quote no willingness either. Earlier in the season, I was thinking that it was a possibility that we would target Iverson during the off season seeing how we almost traded for him a few years back and for him it would be a good chance to win a title. But he has shown that he isn't able to adapt to a team game with the Pistons and isn't willing to make the sacrifices to win either. Marbury might be the better choice if he continues to progress and plays well during the playoffs.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
Sign with Charlotte, AI. Perfect fit.

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 11:06:21 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Any team that uses Iverson how he would like to be used is going to be a bad team.  Any team who's leading scorer shoots 42% is going to be a bad team. 

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 11:19:51 AM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112

Man that Kool Aid's good stuff isn't it?

I have to admit being pleasantly surprised with Marbury. (So far).  Interesting that some would now keep him over signing AI.

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 11:30:25 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Man that Kool Aid's good stuff isn't it?

I have to admit being pleasantly surprised with Marbury. (So far).  Interesting that some would now keep him over signing AI.

i wouldnt go that far.

But there's no question steph has , to quote the rock, known his role and shut his mouth.

bu tim not sure he'd be happy to be a 6th man for the rest of his career. my intrest in signing him going forward is pretty low.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 11:47:04 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
There used to be a show on Sirius radio...its been off for like a year so I can't even remember it anymore :(

Anyways, Kenny Smith used to host some of them (rotating hosts, one a basketball guy like Rick Kamble, then a former player like Kenny Smith or Greg Anthony)...and he said something I thought was pretty special..im paraphrasing but..

"I went through the same thing when I turned 30. First, you realize injuries take way longer to heal, then you realize 40 mins is a long time to be playing basketball each night, and you see that maybe that first step isn't as quick as it used to be. But that is all secondary. For really good basketball players the primary thing in your head is "I can still do this like I always could.", and it takes a while for the mind to catch up with the body. It happened to Nique, it happened to Jordan, and its happening to Shaq."

Iverson despite not being the best role model has always been one of my favorite players, and we always harp on Garnett's competitive nature...Iverson is competitive about Iverson. He'll never step the court scared, or thinking anything other than he's the best player on it. If he wants to be a part of winning, or even get a chip, he'll come around. His mind though, has to catch up with the realities of his body.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 11:50:53 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
if they would have kept billups they would be a 4 seed right now....