Author Topic: Predictions for 09 Rookie of the year  (Read 13236 times)

Predictions for 09 Rookie of the year
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:48:17 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
With the draft this evening I began thinking about who would be the 2009 season rookie of the year and I decided I'm going to go with Greg Oden.

A full year of rehabilitation will have done wonders for this guy and with Portland already in the playoff mix last season, IOden gets them over the hump.Oden will be an additional 18/12 and will get Portland into the playoffs via 8th seed. Do you agree? If not, who do you think will win?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Predictions for 09 Rookie of the year
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:50:05 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Greg Oden. 

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:51:23 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Barring injury or totally busting...

Greg Oden. Solid defense, post scoring and rebounding on a team he carries into the playoffs.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:56:35 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I dont think Oden will be rookie of the year.  He is adujusting to a new game.  He has had wrist problems and now knee problems two years in a row.  and as of now he doesnt have an elite point guard giving him the ball.  Conley and him had been playing together for years before college right? 

Im going with Jerryd Bayless.  He is projected to go to the clippers.  Kaman had a breakout year last year, and Brand is going to be healthy at the start of the year.  If Bayless falls to them at 7 that projects their starting lineup to be Kaman, Brand, Magette, Mobley and Bayless thats a playoff team in the west IMO and it looks like he could be set up to have some big assist numbers and he has always been able to score. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:04:54 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I was going to say Beasley until I looked at the other posts, completely forgot about Oden. Either Beasley or Oden. Beasley will likely have the better numbers but Oden's defense and team success is likely to be the deciding factor. Most likely Oden.

My expectations for Oden are 14-16ppg, 10-12rpg and All-League defense while leading Portland in a blaze of glory as one of the West's better teams.

My expectations for Beasley are pretty similar to Elton Brand's rookie year. Possible 20-10 player.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 11:05:51 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Whomever the Celtics pick.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 11:12:46 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
My expectations for Oden are 14-16ppg, 10-12rpg and All-League defense while leading Portland in a blaze of glory as one of the West's better teams.

You expect Oden to have better stats in the pros than his one year in college? he was 15 and 9 in college.  And that was before the knee injury and not playing for a year.  I just dont see it. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 11:16:55 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't see Oden getting it either, mainly because of the style of play the Blazers have. Though just the same it may play in his favor.  Just as I don't see a huge abundance of shot attempts, he should get at the least 10 up in a consistent basis.

This almost always comes down to what player is getting the minutes.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 11:18:42 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Is Oden a rookie?  Either way, Beasley beats him out.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 11:20:04 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
greg oden. followed closely by derrick rose.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 11:25:41 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Barring injury, I think Beasley runs away with it. 

I think Rose and Oden will help their teams more, but I expect Beasley to put up incredible individual numbers...and this is not like the MVP, it is an individual honor.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 11:28:32 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Koufos for ROY and Kalathes runner up :D

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 11:28:53 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

You expect Oden to have better stats in the pros than his one year in college? he was 15 and 9 in college.  And that was before the knee injury and not playing for a year.  I just dont see it. 
I'll round up if you don't mind mind to 16 and 10 since he went for 15.7 and 9.6.

But yes sir I do. He played only 29mpg in college, he'll play more in the pros and he'll very likely get more touches than he did in college (it was weird how few touches and post ups he got in college despite clearly being skilled enough, mostly due to his early season wrist injury no doubt). His defense will there from the word GO.

Aldridge will be the biggest factor in Oden's numbers. He's a weak rebounder now, if he gets better it might be tough for Oden to get double figures. Aldridge is also a much improved post scorer but I agree with BudweiserCeltic that Oden gets around 10 shots which he'll likely hit a good clip.

Greg Oden was doing brilliantly in workouts against NBA players last summer and improving at a very fast pace. He's meant to be doing well already and I think we'll hear more and more positive news about his play over the next few months.

Don't underestimate Przybilla and Aldridge either. Joel is a legit 7-1 280lbs who's tough and plays physical. He'll be working over Oden every day in practice, because of him Oden will get used to the large size and physical play of NBA competition. Aldridge meanwhile is one of the most talented offensive bigs in the league who again will be a great practice companion for Oden.

From the first moment he steps onto an NBA court he'll be one of the best interior defenders in the league and an above average rebounder. Think quickly the number of centers that can lay claim to that. Oden is going to get large minutes from day one because he's going to be able to contribute without ever taking a shot. Now add the fact he's a skilled and intelligent big man and you have a very effective center. Those guys adapt quick. It's going to be fun to watch, I'm looking forward to it.

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 11:30:52 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Koufos for ROY and Kalathes runner up :D

koufos is american isn't he? sure sounds greek though!

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 11:35:04 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I think ROY is usually based on who has the gaudiest numbers.

I think Oden will be very solid, but Portland doesnt seem like a system that will allow any one play to put up amazing numbers.  I think Beasley has the best chance of that.  It could be like the Durant v. Horford debate this year, except with better stats.