Author Topic: Predictions for 09 Rookie of the year  (Read 13161 times)

Re: Predictions for 09 Rookie of the year
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 11:35:38 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
My darkhorse pick for ROY is Marresse Speights.  Great shooter with a 6-10 NBA-ready body.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 11:42:05 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
My darkhorse pick for ROY is Marresse Speights.  Great shooter with a 6-10 NBA-ready body.

Speights was terribly average playing against a weak SEC this year.  He doesn't know how to use his athleticism and size yet - I wouldn't expect big things from him for a couple season.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 11:45:24 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Yup

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 11:57:06 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

But yes sir I do. He played only 29mpg in college, he'll play more in the pros and he'll very likely get more touches than he did in college (it was weird how few touches and post ups he got in college despite clearly being skilled enough, mostly due to his early season wrist injury no doubt). His defense will there from the word GO.

There is a reason he only played 29 minutes.  foul trouble and lack of conditioning.  Also i mean look at his summer league games last year.  He was in some absolutely ridiculous foul trouble.  There is one game i remember where he had 10 fouls.  thats some solid defense right there....
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 12:03:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

But yes sir I do. He played only 29mpg in college, he'll play more in the pros and he'll very likely get more touches than he did in college (it was weird how few touches and post ups he got in college despite clearly being skilled enough, mostly due to his early season wrist injury no doubt). His defense will there from the word GO.

There is a reason he only played 29 minutes.  foul trouble and lack of conditioning.  Also i mean look at his summer league games last year.  He was in some absolutely ridiculous foul trouble.  There is one game i remember where he had 10 fouls.  thats some solid defense right there....
You're in for a pleasant surprise next season if you're judging Oden on his 2 summer league games. Enjoy the ride. It'll be great.

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 12:04:42 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
As much of an O.J. Mayo nuthugger as I am, I have to say Michael Beasley. I think he's going to come in at a borderline All-Star level right away and put up good numbers.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 12:06:48 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
The point is that he has only played 2 summer league games.  And hasnt played in over a year.  Coming of a knee injury.  And wasnt one of his legs already an inch and a half longer than the other?  That sounds like rookie of the year material. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 12:20:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The point is that he has only played 2 summer league games.  And hasnt played in over a year.  Coming of a knee injury.  And wasnt one of his legs already an inch and a half longer than the other?  That sounds like rookie of the year material. 
His leg is shorter than the other one? That's going to stop him from being a dominant player? C'mon.

The recovery time for Oden's injury is 6 months. It's already been 10 months since the surgery. He'll have another 4 months before his first NBA game. He isn't rushing back from anything.

Micro-fracture is a serious surgery but Oden had a very small lesion, far smaller than other NBA players, reducing the potential severity of the injury drastically. He's also very young and the medical staff have already said he's a freakish healer. His body type despite adding 30lbs of weight while injured got back into top shape far quicker than they expected. He did absolutely everything asked of him while injured to give him the best possible turnaround when healthy.

He's already back on the court and has been since the end of the regular season (he was dunking again before the season ended). He's back in playing shape already. He's gradually cranking up his workouts, building up the strength and confidence in his knee, and is likely to top out his workouts in the middle of the summer break which is ages before training camp even begins.

Greg Oden will be in great shape for next season

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 12:30:12 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
1.5 inches shorter than the other leg.  Thats all i gotta say.

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 05:35:32 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Greg Oden

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 08:03:37 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I am going with Derrick Rose.  The guy is an outstanding playmaker.  His combination of speed, strength, height, and playmaking ability for the PG position combine to form an electric package.  The Bulls don't really have any 'goto' scorers either, so I expect Rose to be able to make a huge impact in his rookie season.  I've been watching this guy for a couple years and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him be extremely successful in the NBA.  Silly me, I wanted the Celtics to draft him, but he ended up being drafted in the wrong year.  As much as I love his game, I'll take NBA championship #17 over Rose in any case.  Go Celtics!!!

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 08:09:13 PM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
I'll say it'l be between Mayo and Rose
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 08:12:50 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
my prediction is the rookie game will be sad, as this class is poor in comparrison to recent rookie classes.

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 08:24:01 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Oden's going to spend half the season on the bench in foul trouble. 

Beasley will probably have the best opportunity. 

What I think will be more interesting is how many busts they're going to be from this draft.  I think some of the guys in the early second round will be much better than those picked with the 6-25 picks.

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 08:27:10 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
What I think will be more interesting is how many busts they're going to be from this draft.  I think some of the guys in the early second round will be much better than those picked with the 6-25 picks.

i agree whole-heartedly! my friend and i were having this very discussion last night.  it was brought up when the first of the lopez stiffs was drafted. ;D