Author Topic: Celtics (2-0) at Pacers (0-2) ECF Game #3 5/25/24  (Read 19964 times)

Re: Celtics (2-0) at Pacers (0-2) ECF Game #3 5/25/24
« Reply #990 on: May 26, 2024, 01:20:15 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
Yea that Tatum behind the back pads to Horford who then hit the 3 was just insane!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #991 on: May 26, 2024, 01:24:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
God, I hate that I missed this one live and could only box score watch. Just got to watch it and what a comeback!

Couldn't watch it either, was just using phone. I thought it was officially done when it was 109-101 with 2:30 to go. Next thing you know, it's 111-111 with Jrue shooting a FT lol

Thought it was over when they were down 18. That behind the back pass by Tatum to Horford's 3 was insane

Yeah it wasn't looking good at that point either. But there was still time, like 18 minutes of gametime. We cut it to 3, then Hauser bad miss followed by 3 quick IND buckets.

I know it's cliche to say but the 2022 and 2023 Celtics don't win games like last night or even Game 1. This team is talented, relentless and also sneaky clutch. Clutch isn't just about hitting last-second shots like Doncic the other night, it's also making the smart plays and playing great defense + getting stops/turnovers. This team is doing it. Jrue is a big part of it, and so are the Jays.

People said this team was only frontrunners but this series is showing otherwise. They've had to battle in some of these 2nd halves and come back from deficits.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #992 on: May 26, 2024, 01:33:09 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
Tough series couple of games could have gone either way. Haliburton most be overrated, or Pacer's bench is underrated. Be glad to get Porzingis back...

« Reply #993 on: May 26, 2024, 02:44:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
To put into perspective. 1 win away from a Finals trip. Second one in the last 3 years, and 3rd time in the last 14 years if they advance.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #994 on: May 26, 2024, 03:02:22 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
In previous years Marc Davis would've taken the Celtics out of there game. But they hung tough and pulled out a game that was all up hill. The Crowd, Pacers playing out of their minds, Refs with so many bad one way calls.  Still a win. This team has come a long way!

Marc Davis did his best to get the Pacers the win. Not by just the stuff they called on Boston but by the stuff they ignored from Indiana. Things that were being done by the Pacers were not called and then they would be called on Boston.

Nembhard drives to the basket EVERY time and dislodges his defender with his off arm to create enough space so he can hit that fall away jumper. It is blatant. Brown did the same thing one time and was called for it. Turner and Siakim throw their big butts out on the screen. No call. The flagrant foul on White was a joke. Turner lands sideways and kicked his leg out.

It was the worst whistle the Cs have gotten all playoffs and it is no surprise it was Marc Davis. He hates Boston.

The missed foul on Jrue that led to a Turner and one was atrocious. That was a 5 point swing. Jrue should have had 2 FTs but yet Turner gets a fast break hoop and a phantom foul called.

The clear path was a joke. In every other situation that is called a clear path.

And let me say...Doris Burke is insufferable. That broadcast team spends the entire game talking about the Pacers. They did this even in game 2 when the Cs were up 20. Reddick is the only one that brings some common sense. Even Mike Breen sounded sad when the Cs were making their run.
what I want to know is how that wasn’t a transition take foul on Jrue? That was so ridiculous
are you saying the last foul by indiana on holiday should have been a clear path foul? i think the reason it was not called is because the foul is meant to apply when the offensive player is going for a score. holiday had no intention to score and wanted to play out the clock.
yup that one but how do they know what he’s going to do. I thought the rule is just the guys in front has both his shoulders in front and you foul/hold him from behind that it’s an automatic two free throws and the ball
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #995 on: May 26, 2024, 03:33:13 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753
In previous years Marc Davis would've taken the Celtics out of there game. But they hung tough and pulled out a game that was all up hill. The Crowd, Pacers playing out of their minds, Refs with so many bad one way calls.  Still a win. This team has come a long way!

Marc Davis did his best to get the Pacers the win. Not by just the stuff they called on Boston but by the stuff they ignored from Indiana. Things that were being done by the Pacers were not called and then they would be called on Boston.

Nembhard drives to the basket EVERY time and dislodges his defender with his off arm to create enough space so he can hit that fall away jumper. It is blatant. Brown did the same thing one time and was called for it. Turner and Siakim throw their big butts out on the screen. No call. The flagrant foul on White was a joke. Turner lands sideways and kicked his leg out.

It was the worst whistle the Cs have gotten all playoffs and it is no surprise it was Marc Davis. He hates Boston.

The missed foul on Jrue that led to a Turner and one was atrocious. That was a 5 point swing. Jrue should have had 2 FTs but yet Turner gets a fast break hoop and a phantom foul called.

The clear path was a joke. In every other situation that is called a clear path.

And let me say...Doris Burke is insufferable. That broadcast team spends the entire game talking about the Pacers. They did this even in game 2 when the Cs were up 20. Reddick is the only one that brings some common sense. Even Mike Breen sounded sad when the Cs were making their run.
what I want to know is how that wasn’t a transition take foul on Jrue? That was so ridiculous
are you saying the last foul by indiana on holiday should have been a clear path foul? i think the reason it was not called is because the foul is meant to apply when the offensive player is going for a score. holiday had no intention to score and wanted to play out the clock.
yup that one but how do they know what he’s going to do. I thought the rule is just the guys in front has both his shoulders in front and you foul/hold him from behind that it’s an automatic two free throws and the ball

I think the league is still figuring this stuff out since implementing this rule, but I'm sure the rule was never intended to apply in that situation. It would have been absurd to end that game on a clear path foul call when the Celtics were obviously running out the clock to end the game. They just need to clear up the wording of the rule.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 04:17:04 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #996 on: May 26, 2024, 05:17:36 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 989
Checking I was not that drunk last night. We did actually win, right?

« Reply #997 on: May 26, 2024, 05:57:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think the league is still figuring this stuff out since implementing this rule, but I'm sure the rule was never intended to apply in that situation. It would have been absurd to end that game on a clear path foul call when the Celtics were obviously running out the clock to end the game. They just need to clear up the wording of the rule.

While you're right about that situation not being the intent of the rule, allowing refs to ignore the rule as written is arbitrary and leads to unfairness.  If the Celts lost it would have been because the refs intentionally ignored the rule book.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #998 on: May 26, 2024, 06:22:46 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 998

While you're right about that situation not being the intent of the rule, allowing refs to ignore the rule as written is arbitrary and leads to unfairness.  If the Celts lost it would have been because the refs intentionally ignored the rule book.

The transition take foul doesn’t apply when a team is in the bonus, as the Celtics were.  It’s designed to prevent teams from using a foul to create a side out in a transition play.  So it wouldn’t have applied to the Jrue case.

The Jrue play was evaluated for clear path foul, which was different, and I think the argument that Jrue tried to avoid the foul meant that it wasn’t a clear path was a rational interpretation.  It’s not explicitly a question of whether a player behind the shoulders, but also whether the foul disrupts a clear path to the basket.  Because Jrue changed direction, he was no longer going directly to the basket.  It’s a little weird they don’t have the same rule about being in the bonus for a clear path foul, but those can also be a little dangerous (as a player is fouled from behind), so maybe that’s part of the concern.

« Reply #999 on: May 26, 2024, 06:36:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The transition take foul doesn’t apply when a team is in the bonus, as the Celtics were.  It’s designed to prevent teams from using a foul to create a side out in a transition play.  So it wouldn’t have applied to the Jrue case.

The Jrue play was evaluated for clear path foul, which was different, and I think the argument that Jrue tried to avoid the foul meant that it wasn’t a clear path was a rational interpretation.  It’s not explicitly a question of whether a player behind the shoulders, but also whether the foul disrupts a clear path to the basket.  Because Jrue changed direction, he was no longer going directly to the basket.  It’s a little weird they don’t have the same rule about being in the bonus for a clear path foul, but those can also be a little dangerous (as a player is fouled from behind), so maybe that’s part of the concern.

That interpretation doesn't make sense.  It's a clear path, not a direct path.  The entire purpose of the rule is to not reward teams for fouling.  Your interpretation is that if a poor FT shooter tries to avoid contact so as not to be sent to the line, he should be punished?

A clear path to the basket foul occurs if: (i) personal foul is committed on any offensive player during his team’s transition scoring opportunity; (ii) when the foul occurs, the ball is ahead the tip of the circle in the backcourt, no defender is ahead of the offensive player with the scoring opportunity and that offensive player is in control of the ball or a pass to him has been released; and (iii) the defensive foul deprives the offensive team of a transition scoring opportunity. A clear path to the basket foul cannot occur if (i) the offensive player is fouled in the act of shooting or (ii) the foul is caused by the defender’s attempt to intercept or deflect a pass intended for the offensive player with the transition scoring opportunity

That's very clear cut, and contains none of the exceptions being imaginarily created and applied.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1000 on: June 12, 2024, 11:07:51 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2524
wrong thread hahaha