Author Topic: Celtics (28-7) at Pacers (20-15) Game #36 1/8/24  (Read 15397 times)

Re: Celtics (28-7) at Pacers (20-15) Game #36 1/8/24
« Reply #315 on: January 09, 2024, 07:59:44 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1274
Celtics are going to be ticked about this loss and beat Minnesota by 20 on Wednesday.  Book it.

Hm, last time the Celtics lost 2 in a row was back in early November.

They have the Wolves at home next followed by a b2b night AT Milwaukee. I don't like the looks of that, this could get ugly real quick esp if they drop 3 in a row.

The Bucks don’t look to be imposing at the moment. I’m more worried about Minny. But I think we’ll go 2-0 on that stretch.

We do play very well against the bucks typically but what is this crap where everyone is saying the bucks are terrible and we are clear favorites? There’s like a 3 game difference between us. Nonsense.

Who said anything about us being clear favorites? I just said they don’t look imposing at the moment because they are 1-4 on their last five games, with that lone victory being a close win against the Spurs. Geez.

« Reply #316 on: January 09, 2024, 08:03:48 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Bucks look pretty terrible right now.
Celts should win that one.

But to be jobbed out of that win is ridiculous. The 2 old refs last night were a joke. Young Jeezy should have taken control.

« Reply #317 on: January 09, 2024, 08:14:20 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I missed the game due to the college football championship.

What was the ref's explanation for the overturn?  I saw that Jaylen said he got hit in the head, and Buddy Hield basically confirmed the foul.  What were they thinking?  Any devil's advocates in here who think they got it right?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #318 on: January 09, 2024, 08:16:22 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
How was that not a jump ball when the refs reversed the foul call and took Brown's free throws away? The ball was in the air when the whistle blew, nobody had possession.

I was wondering this too. Made absolutely no sense

I thought about this afterwards too, but was too annoyed to back and look.  Did a Pacer catch the air ball? (I know this would not matter because of the whistle, but it might be why they decided to give it to the Pacers regardless. 
Yup

« Reply #319 on: January 09, 2024, 08:24:13 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1039
The ref (and replay center) incompetence is what it is.

The important thing for the Celtics moving forward is the late game (or in this case, the entire second half) execution. I know Tatum usually gets the ball in that spot, and Brown deserved it with the great game he was having to go win it. But even had he made the shot or the foul actually called, he still left a couple seconds on the clock. Absolutely no reason that shot goes up with 3-4 seconds remaining. He took it way too early to give the home team a crack at it when worst case you go to OT.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #320 on: January 09, 2024, 08:33:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The important thing for the Celtics moving forward is the late game (or in this case, the entire second half) execution. I know Tatum usually gets the ball in that spot, and Brown deserved it with the great game he was having to go win it. But even had he made the shot or the foul actually called, he still left a couple seconds on the clock. Absolutely no reason that shot goes up with 3-4 seconds remaining. He took it way too early to give the home team a crack at it when worst case you go to OT.

I'm not sure if it's the case here, but sometimes teams start a little early in case there's a chance at an offensive rebound and putback?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #321 on: January 09, 2024, 08:45:27 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 998

I'm not sure if it's the case here, but sometimes teams start a little early in case there's a chance at an offensive rebound and putback?

Also, if the refs hadn’t blown the whistle for the supposed non-foul on JB, the Pacers catch the ball and call a timeout with about 1.5 seconds left, maybe less.  They stopped the clock right as the ball was released because that’s when the whistle was blown, and then the ball travelled through the air and went to the Pacers when time was stopped. The timing was pretty good on that play — maybe a half second later would have been more optimal, but at that level of precision it’s more important to start shooting when you think you can make it or draw a foul.

« Reply #322 on: January 09, 2024, 09:34:59 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419

What was the ref's explanation for the overturn?  I saw that Jaylen said he got hit in the head, and Buddy Hield basically confirmed the foul.  What were they thinking?  Any devil's advocates in here who think they got it right?

I'm very curious to see what the 2min ref report says.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #323 on: January 09, 2024, 09:59:22 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009

Per Jaylen, the ref told him there was no contact to the head, which, if so, is a pretty major screw up and pretty ridiculous to get wrong even on a replay.

Do the actual refs make that call there or Secaucus? I think it’s the actual refs there, but not sure, as I know each call varies with who has responsibility for reviewing it.

« Reply #324 on: January 09, 2024, 10:15:24 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 580

Also, if the refs hadn’t blown the whistle for the supposed non-foul on JB, the Pacers catch the ball and call a timeout with about 1.5 seconds left, maybe less.  They stopped the clock right as the ball was released because that’s when the whistle was blown, and then the ball travelled through the air and went to the Pacers when time was stopped. The timing was pretty good on that play — maybe a half second later would have been more optimal, but at that level of precision it’s more important to start shooting when you think you can make it or draw a foul.

Yep, it really is remarkable all the ways in which that call screwed the c's.

1) Missed the arm to head contact that is an obvious foul.
2) Decided the pacers had the ball off the rebound even though everyone stopped playing at the whistle.
3) Saved Pacers time by setting the time to when the foul was called, rather than when they would have had the rebound.

The timing on that final play wasn't perfect, shooting it .5-1.0 seconds later would have been ideal. But the ref's needed to epically screw up in exactly the way they did for it to matter.

Going to be real interesting to see how this one is justified on the 2m report.

« Reply #325 on: January 09, 2024, 10:23:10 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4601

Devil's advocate, not that they got it right, but that they just didn't see it.  Watching the replay they were so focused on Hield's hand (which cleanly blocked the ball) that they didn't even notice Hield's arm hitting Jaylen's head.  And from the main angle of the replay, Brown's head kind of blends in with the background (and not something you usually focus on when looking at replays). 

I know when I saw it live, and the first replay, I didn't even notice the head contact until Scal pointed it out, because I wasn't looking for it, I was focused on the hand.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #326 on: January 09, 2024, 10:39:15 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380

Devil's advocate, not that they got it right, but that they just didn't see it.  Watching the replay they were so focused on Hield's hand (which cleanly blocked the ball) that they didn't even notice Hield's arm hitting Jaylen's head.  And from the main angle of the replay, Brown's head kind of blends in with the background (and not something you usually focus on when looking at replays). 

I know when I saw it live, and the first replay, I didn't even notice the head contact until Scal pointed it out, because I wasn't looking for it, I was focused on the hand.
But Jaylen was insisting he got hit in the head.  If they didn’t look for it, they should’ve gone back and taken another look. No?

« Reply #327 on: January 09, 2024, 10:41:55 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be

But Jaylen was insisting he got hit in the head.  If they didn’t look for it, they should’ve gone back and taken another look. No?

Karalis made the point last night that it may have simply been the interpretation of the rule was wrong.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #328 on: January 09, 2024, 10:43:24 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Did Porzingis hit Mathurin's arm at end of game? I could not see it on replay.   Refs on review claim he hit his arm.

« Reply #329 on: January 09, 2024, 10:44:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
This game, ironically, was lost when Haliburton went down.   You could see the energy of the Pacers pick up, and the Celtics seemed to just coast.