Author Topic: Celtics (11-2) at Hornets (3-9) Game #14 11/20/23  (Read 19422 times)

Re: Celtics (11-2) at Hornets (3-9) Game #14 11/20/23
« Reply #495 on: November 20, 2023, 10:24:27 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 204
As i stated earlier. the celtics' have been messing around these past several games not respecting their competition. Can't get stops, offence looks disinterested. Joe just playing around with lineups. they need to stop messing around. This isn't a championship team right now, despite what the record says.

You realize they’re coming off a 6 game winning streak and still have the best record in the league?

The win against the 76ers is the only qualify win out of those 6. Their schedule has been incredibly easy and they’re barely beating these crap teams all while being praised as the best team in the league.
They’re not. They were literally playing better to start last season. Can we not anoint this team after they do anything decent

So in your eyes we're 11-3 but really 1-13?

Lol. This board is... something.

No? Our record is what our record is and we are a legit contender I’m just stating what should be obvious, a team labeled as a consensus favorite and the best team in the league they have only 2 quality wins I don’t see how anyone could argue otherwise

The problem is you're legitimately the only one saying this, because it's just not true.

Per you, only wins against two to three other teams would be considered quality - regardless of the major contextual factors that play into the quality of a win like road vs home, travel load, rest load, injuries, momentum/streaks, etc. When all that is taken into consideration, there's a reason that we've been consistently ranked as one of the toughest schedules thus far, especially given our travel- and road-heavy schedule thus far.

Genuinely curious what you think there quality wins are other then the 6ers and heat?

« Reply #496 on: November 20, 2023, 10:25:47 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/11/celtics-hurt-by-controversial-clock-issue-in-overtime-loss-to-hornets.html

So we officially lost 1.4 seconds on the clock due to the refs' screw up.

Again - we lost the game all by ourselves without the refs' help, but that's inexcusable. This isn't even a situation of a subjective foul call. They just literally didn't do their job and ensure the clock was right and relied on a potentially biased home scoring table, even when it was brought to their attention by the team.

You have to petition the NBA to replay the end of this game. It's doubtful they agree to it (I think they've only ever done it a handful of times), but you have to at least try, as that's something that should never happen and is a fundamental duty of the NBA ref to ensure the clock is correct - which they usually do multiple times a game.

2.2 seconds on the clock is so much different than .8 on the clock.

« Reply #497 on: November 20, 2023, 10:26:50 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
And the choke is complete! These boys sure love a good panic job. Well deserved loss.

Shout out to Joe too for not alerting the refs about that clock screwup at the end

I mean, can you blame him? HE WOULD ACTUALLY HAVE TO DO SOMETHING, MAN! That's way too much to expect of a head coach. He's here to collect a check and "let them figure it out themselves".

He's such an incompetent Timeout Gollum.

All the Celtics including Joe M we’re flipping out about it, the refs just ignored them and were preparing to inbound the ball, so Joe said “forget it get your heads back in the game, they’re inbounding!”

Should Joe have walked out to half court to disrupt play and gotten himself ejected in protest?

He could have called a timeout? That would've forced them to have to look at the clock instead of try to rush the play on. And, hell, it's better than having the timeout so that he can draw up an awful ATO play with .8 seconds left anyways.

But, we all know that wouldn't have happened, as Joe is saving up all of his timeouts so he can trade them in for cookies at the end of the season.

Use a timeout in that spot, get 3 seconds added; then, you have 2.8 seconds left after the free throw and no ability to advance the ball. Come on, man, you know better.

« Reply #498 on: November 20, 2023, 10:27:54 PM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/11/celtics-hurt-by-controversial-clock-issue-in-overtime-loss-to-hornets.html

So we officially lost 1.4 seconds on the clock due to the refs' screw up.

Again - we lost the game all by ourselves without the refs' help, but that's inexcusable. This isn't even a situation of a subjective foul call. They just literally didn't do their job and ensure the clock was right and relied on a potentially biased home scoring table, even when it was brought to their attention by the team.

You have to petition the NBA to replay the end of this game. It's doubtful they agree to it (I think they've only ever done it once), but you have to at least try, as that's something that should never happen and is a fundamental duty of the NBA ref to ensure the clock is correct - which they usually do multiple times a game.

2.2 seconds on the clock is so much different than .8 on the clock.

9/10 whenever a player starts running around and waving their finger in a circle they review. warranted or not.

« Reply #499 on: November 20, 2023, 10:29:44 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
As i stated earlier. the celtics' have been messing around these past several games not respecting their competition. Can't get stops, offence looks disinterested. Joe just playing around with lineups. they need to stop messing around. This isn't a championship team right now, despite what the record says.

You realize they’re coming off a 6 game winning streak and still have the best record in the league?

The win against the 76ers is the only qualify win out of those 6. Their schedule has been incredibly easy and they’re barely beating these crap teams all while being praised as the best team in the league.
They’re not. They were literally playing better to start last season. Can we not anoint this team after they do anything decent

No? Our record is what our record is and we are a legit contender I’m just stating what should be obvious, a team labeled as a consensus favorite and the best team in the league they have only 2 quality wins I don’t see how anyone could argue otherwise

The Celtics entering tonight have literally played the second toughest schedule in terms of opponent winning percentage (.568)  and have played the most road games of any team in the league.  What world do you live in?

I don’t view any of these “above .500” teams as contenders or quality teams that will even remain above .500. They’ve literally beat the knicks, grizzlies, nets, raptors wizards and pacers without haliburton.
 Again, I stand by the heat and 6ers being they’re only good wins

I'm curious to see how they fare against more of the Western teams, because it doesn't seem like the East is as deep this year. I think their record would be worse if they had to play a Western conference-heavy schedule.

« Reply #500 on: November 20, 2023, 10:31:12 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
And the choke is complete! These boys sure love a good panic job. Well deserved loss.

Shout out to Joe too for not alerting the refs about that clock screwup at the end

I mean, can you blame him? HE WOULD ACTUALLY HAVE TO DO SOMETHING, MAN! That's way too much to expect of a head coach. He's here to collect a check and "let them figure it out themselves".

He's such an incompetent Timeout Gollum.

All the Celtics including Joe M we’re flipping out about it, the refs just ignored them and were preparing to inbound the ball, so Joe said “forget it get your heads back in the game, they’re inbounding!”

Should Joe have walked out to half court to disrupt play and gotten himself ejected in protest?

He could have called a timeout? That would've forced them to have to look at the clock instead of try to rush the play on. And, hell, it's better than having the timeout so that he can draw up an awful ATO play with .8 seconds left anyways.

But, we all know that wouldn't have happened, as Joe is saving up all of his timeouts so he can trade them in for cookies at the end of the season.

Use a timeout in that spot, get 3 seconds added; then, you have 2.8 seconds left after the free throw and no ability to advance the ball. Come on, man, you know better.

Yes, what happened was truly a better outcome. Joe draws up an ATO that leads to Jrue throwing a dangerous cross-court path to (checks box score) 5-17 from the floor/0-5 from three JB for the tie.

You know what? You're right. That's definitely the better play and worth keeping the timeout and losing the extra time for.  ;)

« Reply #501 on: November 20, 2023, 10:33:50 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 204

The Celtics entering tonight have literally played the second toughest schedule in terms of opponent winning percentage (.568)  and have played the most road games of any team in the league.  What world do you live in?

I don’t view any of these “above .500” teams as contenders or quality teams that will even remain above .500. They’ve literally beat the knicks, grizzlies, nets, raptors wizards and pacers without haliburton.

I'm curious to see how they fare against more of the Western teams, because it doesn't seem like the East is as deep this year. I think their record would be worse if they had to play a Western conference-heavy schedule.

Absolutely.
I’m still waiting to hear where all these other quality wins are that they supposedly have other than the 6ers and heat.
I’ve listed the entire list of teams they’ve beat. It’s a bunch of middling Eastern conference first round playoff fodder or worse

« Reply #502 on: November 20, 2023, 10:40:47 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1041

That West Coast trip leading up to Christmas day is going to be critical. We need to at least go 3 out of 4 on them to call it a winning schedule.

And I need to make sure they win against the Warriors and Lakers.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #503 on: November 20, 2023, 10:45:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753
Brown with a bad 3 pt miss trying to get a 2 for 1, then just watches Bridges shoot the go ahead 3 without putting a hand up or anything.

Holiday was actually defending Bridges on that switch.

Brown was the one closest to him, and neither of them put a hand up. Nevermind Tatum completely falling asleep and losing Hayward for a layup earlier.

Go back and watch the play. It starts out with Brown on Bridges and Jrue on Ball, but there's a screen and they switch. Brown stops Ball from going to his left and Ball bumps him a bit even. Jrue is clearly the main defender on Bridges at that point, and doesn't get a hand up once he catches and shoots it.

You're right, I watched the clip again. Bad D by Holliday there.

TP for watching it again. Not the reason we ultimately lost, but I expect better D from Jrue in those situations. At least get a hand up and contest the shot.

TP for pointing out the correct play.

« Reply #504 on: November 20, 2023, 10:48:11 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 384
Same ole crap.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #505 on: November 20, 2023, 10:48:27 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I would have never become a Celtics fan if this forum existed in the 80s.  The whiney, entitlement and complete distortion from reality of some of the posts is unbelievable.  My only question is whether it is a Celtics fan deal or generally applies to Boston fans?

Speaking as someone from Boston, sports fans around here are pretty entitled  :angel: that’s why they call it Titletown  :police:

Talk radio here really gets fans worked up. But, and I’m happy to be corrected, a lot of folks on CS don’t actually live in Boston…so maybe it is a Cs thing I don’t know  :laugh:

I get upset for bout 5 min then the analytical side of my brain takes over the lizard brain and I actually get detached from it and want to now the X’s and O’s on why they lost. They played bad, deserved to lose. I refuse to let them ruin my night  :laugh:

It really shows how wins can paper over how you feel about a team…we played bad yesterday but finished the game 2 pts I’m the lead so everyone was happy. Tonight we also played bad but finished 3 pts behind and everyone slitting wrists…both games were bad but very different reactions to each. If they had won tonight we’d be talking about how they gutted it out and relied on the bench to shine to win…if they lost yesterday people would be getting stuck into all the usual suspects, Joe, Jaylen, Luke, etc.

I just think some folks haven’t been happy with that team for a while and when they lose it reinforces everything they hate about the Cs :o

The underlying unhappiness I would say has to do with the Celtics being the most storied, most successful NBA team over the history of the league, but then suffering thru so many heartbreaks going all the way back to Len Bias. Then we finally are successful with the Garnett team only to have two more titles kinda pulled out from under us. And now, this rebuild, as brilliant as it has been at times, has had its share of failures, roster adjustments, horrible injury and coaching luck and it just feels like, by now, we should have already won one or two titles with this Tatum/Brown core. Frustration after frustration for the most passionate fans in pro basketball can be very painful.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #506 on: November 20, 2023, 10:53:03 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 384
Just gave the game away by playing joe cool with 2 minutes to go...no urgency and no scoring...Weak, I thought we were over this garbage.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #507 on: November 20, 2023, 10:54:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753

I would have never become a Celtics fan if this forum existed in the 80s.  The whiney, entitlement and complete distortion from reality of some of the posts is unbelievable.  My only question is whether it is a Celtics fan deal or generally applies to Boston fans?

« Reply #508 on: November 20, 2023, 11:01:13 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 122
  • B's Up
God i hate how selfish JB can be. 5/17 shooting putting up a complete stinker and he has to be the one to chuck it at the end of regulation and OT
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #509 on: November 20, 2023, 11:43:53 PM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237
Hopefully this will be the wake up call they need!