Author Topic: Celtics (11-2) at Hornets (3-9) Game #14 11/20/23  (Read 19420 times)

Re: Celtics (11-2) at Hornets (3-9) Game #14 11/20/23
« Reply #540 on: November 21, 2023, 12:52:10 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
https://x.com/BillSimmons/status/1726994960707399863?s=20

Wow, the awful JB shot down the stretch was truly worse than we even realized. Look how wide open KP was under the basket.

This guy really does hurt the team with his poor BBIQ. Just a truly atrocious shot, particularly given he was 5-17 last night.

« Reply #541 on: November 21, 2023, 01:09:18 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 580
https://x.com/BillSimmons/status/1726994960707399863?s=20

Wow, the awful JB shot down the stretch was truly worse than we even realized. Look how wide open KP was under the basket.

This guy really does hurt the team with his poor BBIQ. Just a truly atrocious shot, particularly given he was 5-17 last night.

Ehh, guys miss passes sometimes. Especially when the ball swings to him and he's trying to get it off for a two for one opportunity which they did end up getting.

« Reply #542 on: November 21, 2023, 02:03:39 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Holiday hits those 2 free throws and game over.

« Reply #543 on: November 21, 2023, 02:33:54 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
Holiday hits those 2 free throws and game over.

Joe keeps the bench n and game over:

Brissett +17

Kornet +25

Pritchard +16

Mykhailiuk +7

« Reply #544 on: November 21, 2023, 02:36:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
There are always so many more posts when the Celtics lose than when they win.

Hmmmm....

Dude have you seen Twitter in the past 12 hours. You would think the Celtics and Bruins were officially eliminated from the playoffs after last night's results  :laugh:

LOL

« Reply #545 on: November 21, 2023, 03:56:48 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 259
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
brown and tatum need to wake up.

« Reply #546 on: November 21, 2023, 04:50:14 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1883

I've got no big issues with JT;  Brown needs to wake up and play as a teammate.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #547 on: November 21, 2023, 04:50:19 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1041
Imagine a loss like this may cost the Celtics the #1 seed down the road. I know this is November, but every game counts since Game #1 lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #548 on: November 21, 2023, 05:54:20 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753

I've got no big issues with JT;  Brown needs to wake up and play as a teammate.

For a guy who is reportedly highly intelligent off the court, his basketball IQ is pretty disappointing. He's not an inexperienced young player anymore, he's a veteran all-star. There's something about basketball instinct. Some guys have it and some don't.

« Reply #549 on: November 21, 2023, 05:55:18 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I think people have a right to be critical from a macro perspective. The micro of one regular season win or loss isn't as important, obviously. There were a lot of reasons they lost yesterday besides Brown's bad shooting night and questionable shot selection.

It's more about whether Brown can find his role in this offense. It's about whether he can reduce his inefficiency and make the right pass. It's about whether he can actually play disciplined defense for long stretches and be physical without fouling. It's whether he can make the right decision enough times so that he doesn't seriously hurt the team in the playoffs when execution is paramount. These are questions that have dogged Jaylen for awhile and aren't new, which is why a segment of the fan base is skeptical.

As talented as they are, you can't really function as a well-oiled machine if one player is still not really sure about his role or doesn't know how to contribute if his shot isn't falling.

« Reply #550 on: November 21, 2023, 06:07:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753
I think people have a right to be critical from a macro perspective. The micro of one regular season win or loss isn't as important, obviously. There were a lot of reasons they lost yesterday besides Brown's bad shooting night and questionable shot selection.

It's more about whether Brown can find his role in this offense. It's about whether he can reduce his inefficiency and make the right pass. It's about whether he can actually play disciplined defense for long stretches and be physical without fouling. It's whether he can make the right decision enough times so that he doesn't seriously hurt the team in the playoffs when execution is paramount. These are questions that have dogged Jaylen for awhile and aren't new, which is why a segment of the fan base is skeptical.

As talented as they are, you can't really function as a well-oiled machine if one player is still not really sure about his role or doesn't know how to contribute if his shot isn't falling.

Well put. It took Pierce most of his career to figure it out, and it took Doc drilling it into him, but then again he had never been in a good system with a solid coach until then. Brown has had plenty of time, good vet teammates around him, and good coaches. It is reasonable for Celtics fans to be a bit frustrated by now.

I don't think it's selfishness or anything, I think he legit tries to make the right plays, he just doesn't get it. For example that three point shot last night, I think he was so focused on going for a 2 for 1 that he never thought to look inside and totally missed Porzingis.

« Reply #551 on: November 21, 2023, 08:46:48 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I did not watch the game, but I was sent this image this morning. Accurate summary?

Good Lord. That is incredibly bad.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #552 on: November 21, 2023, 09:28:36 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501

I did not watch the game, but I was sent this image this morning. Accurate summary?

Hope someone sends that image to Jaylen. Not sure which is worse, Jaylens tunnel vision or Jrues missed free throws.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 09:52:19 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #553 on: November 21, 2023, 10:03:41 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550

If there was ever an illustration of why Jaylen isn't worth his contract - that's it.  He's average - at best - in a half court game.  If he doesn't have to think too much and just plays - different story. Unfortunately to win in the playoffs you have to excel at half court basketball.

« Reply #554 on: November 22, 2023, 01:57:24 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
As i stated earlier. the celtics' have been messing around these past several games not respecting their competition. Can't get stops, offence looks disinterested. Joe just playing around with lineups. they need to stop messing around. This isn't a championship team right now, despite what the record says.

You realize they’re coming off a 6 game winning streak and still have the best record in the league?

The win against the 76ers is the only qualify win out of those 6. Their schedule has been incredibly easy and they’re barely beating these crap teams all while being praised as the best team in the league.
They’re not. They were literally playing better to start last season. Can we not anoint this team after they do anything decent

So in your eyes we're 11-3 but really 1-13?

Lol. This board is... something.
I would have never become a Celtics fan if this forum existed in the 80s.  The whiney, entitlement and complete distortion from reality of some of the posts is unbelievable.  My only question is whether it is a Celtics fan deal or generally applies to Boston fans?

Speaking as someone from Boston, sports fans around here are pretty entitled  :angel: that’s why they call it Titletown  :police:

Talk radio here really gets fans worked up. But, and I’m happy to be corrected, a lot of folks on CS don’t actually live in Boston…so maybe it is a Cs thing I don’t know  :laugh:

I get upset for bout 5 min then the analytical side of my brain takes over the lizard brain and I actually get detached from it and want to now the X’s and O’s on why they lost. They played bad, deserved to lose. I refuse to let them ruin my night  :laugh:

It really shows how wins can paper over how you feel about a team…we played bad yesterday but finished the game 2 pts I’m the lead so everyone was happy. Tonight we also played bad but finished 3 pts behind and everyone slitting wrists…both games were bad but very different reactions to each. If they had won tonight we’d be talking about how they gutted it out and relied on the bench to shine to win…if they lost yesterday people would be getting stuck into all the usual suspects, Joe, Jaylen, Luke, etc.

I just think some folks haven’t been happy with that team for a while and when they lose it reinforces everything they hate about the Cs :o

The underlying unhappiness I would say has to do with the Celtics being the most storied, most successful NBA team over the history of the league, but then suffering thru so many heartbreaks going all the way back to Len Bias. Then we finally are successful with the Garnett team only to have two more titles kinda pulled out from under us. And now, this rebuild, as brilliant as it has been at times, has had its share of failures, roster adjustments, horrible injury and coaching luck and it just feels like, by now, we should have already won one or two titles with this Tatum/Brown core. Frustration after frustration for the most passionate fans in pro basketball can be very painful.

Yup, nothing worse than the feeling of unfulfilled expectations. If we expect them to be bad, and they are bad, it somehow doesn't feel as bad  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D