Author Topic: NBA Off-Season News  (Read 83746 times)

Re: NBA Off-Season News
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2023, 10:13:11 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2438
The injuries may or may not be his fault, but the reports about him not talking to teammates and having virtually no relationship with anyone on the team, if true, are far more problematic.
I do find that quite weird. Especially considering the bunch of guys in New Orleans have seemed to be pretty decent locker-room types (the vets at least) for a long time. It's weird.

Maybe Zion's the problem and just don't wanna play for a franchise like the Pelicans. Just a strange guy.
I think Zion's real problem is that he's not all that into playing basketball. He loves the NBA lifestyle but in terms of the sport of basketball he was someone born with the talent but isn't particularly passionate about the sport.

He seemed pretty passionate playing in college under coach K. My suspicion is that it’s because he chose to go to Duke and didn’t have a choice when he was drafted by the Pels. Hopefully he gets traded and we get to find out either way. The NBA is a better product when Zion is on the court.

Yeah, I don't believe Zion has any lack of love for basketball. He seems to have a great time when it out there on the floor and is a very good competitor.

I see two problems:

(1) Injuries. Is his playing weight too high for his body to manage? Does he need to lose weight in order to reduce injuries? Or has he just been unlucky with injuries? Or is he just injury prone and the weight doesn't matter?

(2) He has a food problem. This isn't an issue when he is out on the court as he burns off the calories and stays in reasonable shape but as soon as he gets hurt he starts binging and putting on loads of weight. This has been multiple times now this has happened. Multiple times were his return to playing action has been severely delayed because he was too fat to play.

Coach K said you just have to play Zion through it. Let him shed the weight by playing. NOP have not done that. They have sat out Zion instead. NOP's way has not worked well.

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2023, 10:25:45 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2023, 10:33:21 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I don’t think Zion ever wanted to be in New Orleans. He didn’t seem particularly thrilled on draft night and he’s been pretty unprofessional in regards to taking care of himself physically since arriving. Will be interesting to see if this changes when he goes to another team.

As Bill Simmons revealed on 'The Bill Simmons' podcast, he was told that Zion packing his bags and being dealt is going to happen before Thursday's draft.

"I had somebody tell me yesterday that I trust that he [Zion Williamson] will not be on that team on Thursday. I was like, 'really, I haven't heard that. And they were like 'you watch.'" Simmons stated.

Very curious to see what he would fetch. Dude has all the talent in the world to be a top 5 guy but injuries and conditioning are a problem for him. His off court stuff lately doesn’t help but willing to cut some slack to a rich 22 year old. It’s not like he’s flashing guns on Instagram like Morant. He just hooked up with a crazy ****star lol.

playing 114 games in 3 years is a big red flag. I get the kid is young. but sports is littered with guys who never reached their potential because they are lazy/lack the mental fortitude to improve

Maybe he can keep it up for a season or two. but ultimately history tells me his career will be a big disappointment of "what if"

That's still 83 more games than Embiid played in his first 3 seasons. Obviously Embiid is the exception, but injuries early in your career don't have to be a death sentence

That is the gamble right there.  Best case, Zion might be Embiid, a future MVP but with durability issues that require some level of minutes management or he could end up being Ben Simmons, a total head case with injury issues that he is unwilling to battle through.

On that scale, I would say that Zion's career is going to be more similar to Embiid than Simmons.  I think Zion does want to play.  He does seem a little lazy about his weight or off season conditioning.  If the story about Coach K is true, Zion probably showed up thinking he could play but NOP management said you need to be in better shape before you are cleared to go back on the court.  Maybe that was "tough love", trying to teach Zion a lesson.  Maybe it was smart from a training perspective, to protect against injury, and nothing more than that.  In any case, there seems to be some issue now in NOP.  I think either CHA or POR would be really smart to trade their pick and get Zion.  There is risk with Zion but there is probably even more risk with any draft pick.  You have 114 NBA games where he showed he can be a star in the league with Zion.  No uncertainty there.

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2023, 10:34:10 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
The injuries may or may not be his fault, but the reports about him not talking to teammates and having virtually no relationship with anyone on the team, if true, are far more problematic.
I do find that quite weird. Especially considering the bunch of guys in New Orleans have seemed to be pretty decent locker-room types (the vets at least) for a long time. It's weird.

Maybe Zion's the problem and just don't wanna play for a franchise like the Pelicans. Just a strange guy.
I think Zion's real problem is that he's not all that into playing basketball. He loves the NBA lifestyle but in terms of the sport of basketball he was someone born with the talent but isn't particularly passionate about the sport.

He seemed pretty passionate playing in college under coach K. My suspicion is that it’s because he chose to go to Duke and didn’t have a choice when he was drafted by the Pels. Hopefully he gets traded and we get to find out either way. The NBA is a better product when Zion is on the court.

Yeah, I don't believe Zion has any lack of love for basketball. He seems to have a great time when it out there on the floor and is a very good competitor.

I see two problems:

(1) Injuries. Is his playing weight too high for his body to manage? Does he need to lose weight in order to reduce injuries? Or has he just been unlucky with injuries? Or is he just injury prone and the weight doesn't matter?

(2) He has a food problem. This isn't an issue when he is out on the court as he burns off the calories and stays in reasonable shape but as soon as he gets hurt he starts binging and putting on loads of weight. This has been multiple times now this has happened. Multiple times were his return to playing action has been severely delayed because he was too fat to play.

Coach K said you just have to play Zion through it. Let him shed the weight by playing. NOP have not done that. They have sat out Zion instead. NOP's way has not worked well.
On the one hand, his old coach probably has some grasp on how to reach his player, but on the other hand Coach K also had the benefit of coaching Zion when Zion had approximately 44,271,137 fewer dollars to his name, which may be a contributing factor to his decline.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2023, 10:50:21 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
"Himmelsbach also reports “financial obligations will not guide the roster decisions.”

yeah, I call BS!

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/19/nba-boston-celtics-runnin-it-back/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR27PLeukRQaG7MV98OflyLF0bpkBywr2TUnhGKhhvNR2QXGqviSc6evLVI

You call Brad Stevens?

I don't think this is so far fetched.  I don't think they can extend Brown until October, so we just have to wait and see on that.  Grant will take a while to sort out also.  But will you really be all that surprised if they extend Brown and match Grant?  I think Brown being extended in some form is almost a certainty at this point.  You never know, maybe we trade him for Zion or something crazy but I think that is pretty unlikely.  And Grant may get signed and traded.  We can only take back 50% of his salary (assuming his new contract is > 120% of his current) but depending on the player and the contract, maybe that is still a good trade.  But most likely, we just match and carry on.

As to a potential trade of one of Smart, White, Brogdon, that trade will not be about saving money.  That trade will be about roster balance.  We have a surplus of talent and cap tied up at the combo guard position.  The roster would be more balanced if we traded Brogdon (for example) for a 6th man of the year caliber PF.  I am not that high on John Collins but say we traded Brogdon for Collins?  Also assume that Collins bounces back and plays better, plays at a Brogdon level (which he was playing at a few seasons ago).  Isn't the team better served from a roster standpoint having that money and talent at the PF position rather than combo guard?  Again, what is it you don't believe here?

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2023, 11:03:34 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1712
On the one hand, his old coach probably has some grasp on how to reach his player, but on the other hand Coach K also had the benefit of coaching Zion when Zion had approximately 44,271,137 fewer dollars to his name, which may be a contributing factor to his decline.

Also New Orleans might be the single worst NBA city for a guy with overeating problems, lol. 

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2023, 11:09:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836

Also New Orleans might be the single worst NBA city for a guy with overeating problems, lol.

TP!! So true!!

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2023, 11:18:11 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3228

Beignet!

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2023, 11:24:18 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar

Ha! Hadn't even thought of that.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2023, 11:33:21 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
"Himmelsbach also reports “financial obligations will not guide the roster decisions.”

yeah, I call BS!

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/19/nba-boston-celtics-runnin-it-back/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR27PLeukRQaG7MV98OflyLF0bpkBywr2TUnhGKhhvNR2QXGqviSc6evLVI

I don't think this is so far fetched.  I don't think they can extend Brown until October, so we just have to wait and see on that. 

They can extend Jaylen when free agency opens next week.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2023, 12:35:15 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

yeah, I call BS!

I don't think this is so far fetched.  I don't think they can extend Brown until October, so we just have to wait and see on that. 

They can extend Jaylen when free agency opens next week.

OK, my bad, this should be settled sooner rather than later than.

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2023, 01:36:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
The Nuggets are trading the least favorable of its 2024 first-round picks in deal to move into the first-round and early second in Thursday's NBA Draft, per sources.
Quote Tweet
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
12m
The Denver Nuggets are trading 2024 first-round pick and 2023 40th pick to the Indiana Pacers for No. 29 and 32 on Thursday, sources tell ESPN.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2023, 03:10:37 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1497
Marc Stein: Hornets GM Mitch Kupchak said today at a pre-draft press conference that final say on who Charlotte selects at No. 2 on Thursday night — Brandon Miller or Scoot Henderson — will belong to outgoing owner Michael Jordan. – via Twitter TheSteinLine
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2023, 03:11:25 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Marc Stein: Hornets GM Mitch Kupchak said today at a pre-draft press conference that final say on who Charlotte selects at No. 2 on Thursday night — Brandon Miller or Scoot Henderson — will belong to outgoing owner Michael Jordan. – via Twitter TheSteinLine

Why...?

I don't understand Charlotte at all.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2023, 04:04:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2438

Why...?

I don't understand Charlotte at all.

That is strange ...