Author Topic: NBA Off-Season News  (Read 82203 times)

Re: NBA Off-Season News
« Reply #675 on: October 09, 2023, 01:49:29 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I just noticed that Clippers have quietly signed Josh Primo last week.

IMO it’s a bad look for the Clippers. Not only for the fact that Primo still have pending criminal charges in Texas, but that he has yet to take responsibility for his actions.

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #676 on: October 09, 2023, 02:02:38 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
For those that don’t remember the incidents, Dr. Cauthen alleged that Primo exposed himself to her nine times. The Bexar County Sheriff's Office began a preliminary investigation into Primo in November, 2022.

Here’s Josh Primo’s previous statements,

Primo, through his attorney, denied any wrongdoing and lashed out at Cauthen’s claims, saying she is “playing to ugly stereotypes and racially charged fears for her own financial benefit,” and calling it an act of betrayal against a client.

“Dr. Cauthen’s allegations are either a complete fabrication, a gross embellishment or utter fantasy,” the attorney, William J. Briggs II, said. “Josh Primo never intentionally exposed himself to her or anyone else and was not even aware that his private parts were visible outside of his workout shorts.”

After his contract was terminated by the Spurs, Primo issued this statement to ESPN

"I know that you all are surprised by today's announcement. I've been seeking help to deal with previous trauma I suffered and will now take this time to focus on my mental health treatment more fully," Primo said. "I hope to be able to discuss these issues in the future so I can help others who have suffered in a similar way. I appreciate privacy at this time."
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #677 on: October 09, 2023, 03:48:39 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Now Kai Jones is on Twitter saying he formally asked the Hornets to trade him. I figure they will just cut him at this point.

« Reply #678 on: October 09, 2023, 05:23:06 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 493
Now Kai Jones is on Twitter saying he formally asked the Hornets to trade him. I figure they will just cut him at this point.

Kai has fallen off his Rocker.  The cs could use a talented young big but I'm not sure he's worth it.  Especially after calling out his teammates and that crazy tic tock video.

« Reply #679 on: October 09, 2023, 05:30:01 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Kai has fallen off his Rocker.  The cs could use a talented young big but I'm not sure he's worth it.  Especially after calling out his teammates and that crazy tic tock video.

Yeah, there seems to be some mental health issues happening there. Hopefully, he gets some help.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #680 on: October 18, 2023, 02:25:05 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Kevin Porter Jr's girlfriend is now saying he never hit her, and the argument was so minor as to be inconsequential.

Kevin Porter Jr.'s ex-girlfriend said the former Houston Rockets guard "didn't hit me" during an alleged fight at a New York City hotel last month that led to his arrest.

"He never balled his fists up and hit me," Kysre Gondrezick, a former WNBA player, told the New York Post on Tuesday. "And he definitely didn't punch me in the face numerous times. That is a lie. I don't have any injuries to support that."

Porter was arrested after the alleged attack and initially charged with multiple felonies, including assault and strangulation. However, Manhattan prosecutors dropped one of the assault charges Monday after acknowledging Porter did not fracture Gondrezick's neck vertebrae during the incident.

Porter still faces charges of second-degree strangulation and third-degree assault, to which he has pleaded not guilty.

A police spokesperson said shortly after the alleged attack that officers were informed Gondrezick "sustained a laceration to the right side of her face and was complaining about pain to her neck." She was transported to the hospital for evaluation.

Gondrezick said prosecutors didn't wait to interview her before releasing details of her injuries.

"It happened very fast, not to the degree of what was reported," she told the Post. "And it was an argument that occurred in the room for not even 10 seconds."

Porter on Tuesday was traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder, and sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski that they plan to waive him.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38683020/former-rockets-guard-kevin-porter-ex-girlfriend-says-hit-me

Money talks?!?!  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #681 on: October 18, 2023, 07:20:23 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
The Toronto Raptors kept Scottie Barnes "off limits" in trade talks for both Kevin Durant and Damian Lillard, sources tell Zach Lowe of ESPN.

« Reply #682 on: October 18, 2023, 07:28:10 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
Kevin Porter Jr's girlfriend is now saying he never hit her, and the argument was so minor as to be inconsequential.

Kevin Porter Jr.'s ex-girlfriend said the former Houston Rockets guard "didn't hit me" during an alleged fight at a New York City hotel last month that led to his arrest.

"He never balled his fists up and hit me," Kysre Gondrezick, a former WNBA player, told the New York Post on Tuesday. "And he definitely didn't punch me in the face numerous times. That is a lie. I don't have any injuries to support that."

Porter was arrested after the alleged attack and initially charged with multiple felonies, including assault and strangulation. However, Manhattan prosecutors dropped one of the assault charges Monday after acknowledging Porter did not fracture Gondrezick's neck vertebrae during the incident.

Porter still faces charges of second-degree strangulation and third-degree assault, to which he has pleaded not guilty.

A police spokesperson said shortly after the alleged attack that officers were informed Gondrezick "sustained a laceration to the right side of her face and was complaining about pain to her neck." She was transported to the hospital for evaluation.

Gondrezick said prosecutors didn't wait to interview her before releasing details of her injuries.

"It happened very fast, not to the degree of what was reported," she told the Post. "And it was an argument that occurred in the room for not even 10 seconds."

Porter on Tuesday was traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder, and sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski that they plan to waive him.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38683020/former-rockets-guard-kevin-porter-ex-girlfriend-says-hit-me

Or fear caused by abuse.  It’s not an unusual response, and transcends incidents of domestic abusers throughout income brackets.

« Reply #683 on: October 18, 2023, 08:13:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Or fear caused by abuse.  It’s not an unusual response, and transcends incidents of domestic abusers throughout income brackets.

And not just fear.  Psychological dependence a lot of times.

As a defense attorney it was initially shocking how many victims didn't cooperate.  One of my first cases, a man slashed his girlfriend in the face with a knife.  Makes bail, breaks into her house again.  She had given a statement but retracted it and refused to cooperate.

I saw that happen similarly dozens of times over the years.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #684 on: October 18, 2023, 08:39:30 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

As a defense attorney it was initially shocking how many victims didn't cooperate.  One of my first cases, a man slashed his girlfriend in the face with a knife.  Makes bail, breaks into her house again.  She had given a statement but retracted it and refused to cooperate.

In this situation, the article says "ex-girlfriend" so they are no longer together. There is no dependence on him or ongoing threat from him. I don't think they have any children together. There is no marriage so no divorce or alimony.

Would you expect to still see things like that in a case like this?

« Reply #685 on: October 18, 2023, 01:29:18 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
As the Harden world turns, per the Athletic:

James Harden was a no-show at Philadelphia 76ers practice Wednesday, league sources said. Here’s what you need to know:

Harden has not been present with the 76ers since Sunday, missing a shootaround and Monday’s preseason win over the Brooklyn Nets — after which he did not travel home with the team.
It’s unclear when, and if, Harden will return to the 76ers team activities as he awaits a trade

League sources told The Athletic on Tuesday that Harden, 34, has not attended any of Philadelphia’s three preseason games and has only participated in one five-on-five live competition in the two weeks since training camp began.

« Reply #686 on: October 18, 2023, 02:06:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

In this situation, the article says "ex-girlfriend" so they are no longer together. There is no dependence on him or ongoing threat from him. I don't think they have any children together. There is no marriage so no divorce or alimony.

Would you expect to still see things like that in a case like this?

It's pretty prevalent regardless of whether the relationships are intact.  Some can be fear (see Miles Bridges), some can be love, some can be guilt.

In this particular case, both Porter and the victim have documented mental health issues.  That can lead to some very unhealthy relationship dynamics that last even when a relationship has ended.

Abuse is one of the most complicated issues I've encountered.  Beyond criminal defense I did a ton of family law cases, as well as child protective.  I've sat down with multiple women and told them that they needed to stay away from their abuser or they'd lose their kids (permanently).  They couldn't stay away.  In another case, a woman's abuser was in prison for murder, and she still wanted to be with him, and was taking her young son to visit him in prison (despite being advised what profoundly poor judgment that was by her protective services caseworker).

As bizarre as it is, no matter the other factors, the vast majority of victims don't do what they "should":  call the cops, cooperate with prosecutors, get a protection order and, if married, initiate a divorce.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes