Author Topic: Heat (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) ECF Game #1 5/17/23  (Read 34910 times)

Re: Heat (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) ECF Game #1 5/17/23
« Reply #945 on: May 18, 2023, 02:46:28 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Anyone have the feeling we're kind of locked into a 7 game series now?  With game 7 being a crapshoot?

Losing Game 1 at home is such a kick in the nuts. 

Again...

But they somehow seem to find a way to win more 7 game series than they lose.  Which is no small accomplishment. 

Weirdest team ever.

No. I still think it's a 6 game series. I figured the Heat would steal a game or two so I'm not panicking. Taking a step back, they shot an absurd 52% from 3 and only beat us by 7.

Same.  I'm not terribly worried right now.  I think last night was a bit fluky.  I also expected MIA to win some games this series.

Celtics should still win this series but last night wasn’t fluky. That’s the scary part.
I don’t care what the heats record was this year or how bad their offense was in the regular season. They’re currently playing the best basketball they’ve played in a year and half.  Not a fluke.

Even so, they haven't been an elite 3 point shooting team in the playoffs either so 52% from 3 is a bit flukey. I don't see that being sustainable.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #946 on: May 18, 2023, 02:54:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2740
Anyone have the feeling we're kind of locked into a 7 game series now?  With game 7 being a crapshoot?

Again...

But they somehow seem to find a way to win more 7 game series than they lose.  Which is no small accomplishment. 

Weirdest team ever.

No. I still think it's a 6 game series. I figured the Heat would steal a game or two so I'm not panicking. Taking a step back, they shot an absurd 52% from 3 and only beat us by 7.

Same.  I'm not terribly worried right now.  I think last night was a bit fluky.  I also expected MIA to win some games this series.

Celtics should still win this series but last night wasn’t fluky. That’s the scary part.
I don’t care what the heats record was this year or how bad their offense was in the regular season. They’re currently playing the best basketball they’ve played in a year and half.  Not a fluke.

Even so, they haven't been an elite 3 point shooting team in the playoffs either so 52% from 3 is a bit flukey. I don't see that being sustainable.

If you leave them open at the 3pt line all game it is more than sustainable.

« Reply #947 on: May 18, 2023, 03:01:12 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1027
Like Roy...I am a bit nervous the Heat just will themselves to the series in 5 games.

Game two once again is a must. Lose that one and this is over in 5 or 6.

Yes this team isn't winning two straight in Miami if they're down 0-2. You don't ever wanna be in an 0-2 hole if you're the team that started with home court advantage. Certainly don't wanna be down 3-1 either.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #948 on: May 18, 2023, 03:09:36 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986

Again...

Weirdest team ever.

If you leave them open at the 3pt line all game it is more than sustainable.

Sadly this.

The Heat were 8-13 on "open" 3PA and 8-12 on "wide open" 3PA

0-6 on "tight" contested 3PA

What a crazy concept! 25 of their 31 were open/wide open. Maybe guard the line a little bit more in Game 2

https://twitter.com/stoolgreenie/status/1659204209584275456?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

« Reply #949 on: May 18, 2023, 03:13:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
Like Roy...I am a bit nervous the Heat just will themselves to the series in 5 games.

Miami don't have the talent. Willpower + talent is a special combination. Willpower without talent will only get you so far.

« Reply #950 on: May 18, 2023, 03:17:53 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 302

Miami don't have the talent. Willpower + talent is a special combination. Willpower without talent will only get you so far.

The other side of the equation is talent + lack of desire will only get you so far too.

« Reply #951 on: May 18, 2023, 03:20:20 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1652

miami absolutely can beat us. they do not beat themselves like us and have superior coaching.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #952 on: May 18, 2023, 03:26:58 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

miami absolutely can beat us. they do not beat themselves like us and have superior coaching.

Miami is a 44-win team that lost the 7th seed to the Hawks in the play-in. I get that they're catching fire at the right time, but can we stop canonizing them as this unbeatable and unshakeable team?

If they were as consistent and good as so many posters here think they are, they're not an 8th seed.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #953 on: May 18, 2023, 03:37:54 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 378

Miami is a 44-win team that lost the 7th seed to the Hawks in the play-in. I get that they're catching fire at the right time, but can we stop canonizing them as this unbeatable and unshakeable team?

If they were as consistent and good as so many posters here think they are, they're not an 8th seed.

Yeah this board is pretty insufferable after a loss. It's like the fans don't learn even after last series or even last year. A game 1 loss doesn't mean the series is over.

Now if they win game 2, sure. But the heat shot 52% from 3 and had a 46 point quarter. They basically played as perfect basketball as you can. Is that sustainable? Guys like Lowry/steuss/Vincent to play at that level for 7 games? Knicks who are basically just brunson won 2 games, yet Celtics will lose in 5 per some?

Let's be honest, if Miami makes the finals they are getting trounced in 4 or 5 games.

I fully expect this series to be 2-2 in a week
I

« Reply #954 on: May 18, 2023, 03:39:08 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 956

This.

Nobody is saying that Miami is unbeatable. They certainly have their issues. But there's a reason that we actually play the games instead of just looking at us vs. them on paper.

Mike

« Reply #955 on: May 18, 2023, 03:41:11 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 615

Yeah this board is pretty insufferable after a loss. It's like the fans don't learn even after last series or even last year. A game 1 loss doesn't mean the series is over.

Now if they win game 2, sure. But the heat shot 52% from 3 and had a 46 point quarter. They basically played as perfect basketball as you can. Is that sustainable? Guys like Lowry/steuss/Vincent to play at that level for 7 games? Knicks who are basically just brunson won 2 games, yet Celtics will lose in 5 per some?

Let's be honest, if Miami makes the finals they are getting trounced in 4 or 5 games.

I

It's not the loss, it's the "why" that has people(like myself) on fire.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #956 on: May 18, 2023, 03:41:16 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

Again...

Weirdest tea ever.

I'll be happy if it goes seven games after that performance.  The Celtics should be worried that it ends in five.

Did you feel the same when they lost to the Embiid less sixers? The doom and gloom is over the top...

« Reply #957 on: May 18, 2023, 03:43:03 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

I

It's not the loss, it's the "why" that has people(like myself) on fire.

Okay, but how is it any different from the sixers series or last year against Milwaukee/Miami?

Overreacting that the series is over everyone sucks, the other team is amazing after every bad loss in a series  is just over the top.

« Reply #958 on: May 18, 2023, 03:48:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Again...

Weirdest tea ever.

I thought it would be a 6 game series before it started and I still expect it to be a 6 game series.

And 6 games only because this Celtics team isn't disciplined enough in putting away teams and gives games away. They should trounce this Miami team. They won't but they should. Instead they'll let Miami hang around, steal a win or two because Boston isn't lethal enough in finishing teams off.

The Celtics did this against the Hawks in round one, against Philly in round 2, last year againt Milwaukee in round two, last year against Miami in ECF. They just keep shooting themselves in the foot and giving games away. It is a pattern at this point. It is who they are. They make life difficult for themselves.

I just expect a few miserable performances & losses at this point when a series starts. It is who they are.

.... But they are still far far far better than Miami. Boston is winning this series even if they make it tougher on themselves than it should be.

« Reply #959 on: May 18, 2023, 03:53:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Coach asleep at the switch

Team is soft

They are just a maddening team. All of this is preventable and they just cannot stop doing it.

Tatum...no shots in the 4th quarter. Max Strus being able to guard him? Same with Caleb Martin? Give me a break.

Brown turning it over at will

White has gone missing in action.

I just have accept this is who they are. None of this is fun anymore. Been watching the Celtics since 1981 and this without a doubt is a core that just is hard to cheer for because they do not play hard and make the same mistakes over and over.

Where is Grant? I mean what has happened from this guy being a main cog to not even getting in the game. Grant plays Bam well. Has been doing so for years. Why in the world is he not getting time when you need to rest a big? What is going on?

I find this is generally true throughout the league. The reliance on the three point shot for offense has made offenses more prone to extreme ups and downs. Huge blowout wins and blowout losses. Interior shots and midrange shots led to more consistent offensive nights vs the more erratic long range shooting which is more variable.

Also the clamping down on physicality on defense has led to a decrease in the effectiveness of defense which was always the best avenue for consistency in the past. Strong defensive teams were more consistent. Now with strong defenses outlawed (basically), teams have lost another avenue to consistency.

Leading to a more inconsistent set of team performances league wide.