Author Topic: Heat (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) ECF Game #1 5/17/23  (Read 34909 times)

Re: Heat (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) ECF Game #1 5/17/23
« Reply #930 on: May 18, 2023, 01:34:19 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380
It's honestly hard to support Mazzulla.

I know Joe has his flaws, but I have to remember that the season started with a massive scandal that could've thrown our locker room into a tailspin. For the most part, he's gotten guys to stay on track.

Yeah I guess. It was a difficult situation for sure. And truth be told we had letdowns even with Ime last season

I still get super annoyed with his timeout strategies though. Not just when the other team is making a big run, but late in games when it's a close game, he seems to pick and choose when to call timeouts or let them play it out. No set strategy

Coaches need to do more than just manage a locker room.  If that's all it took, teams would hire therapists and actors as coaches.  The in-game stuff matters.

I never said that's all that coaches need to do, but it is a part of their job.

I've been around the forums awhile, and no matter what, people complain about the coach. People complained about Doc. People complained about Brad. People complained about Ime. Now people are complaining about Joe. And it's usually the same people. If y'all think you can do better, throw your resume in the ring.
Amen! TP

Like it or not this is our team for the rest of these playoffs. Ride or die with them. They have warts but it’s not out of the question they win a title. What does constant complaining about the coach help right now? Save that for the off-season.

« Reply #931 on: May 18, 2023, 01:41:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3778
  • Yup
Anyone have the feeling we're kind of locked into a 7 game series now?  With game 7 being a crapshoot?

Losing Game 1 at home is such a kick in the nuts. 

Again...

But they somehow seem to find a way to win more 7 game series than they lose.  Which is no small accomplishment. 

Weirdest team ever.
Yup

« Reply #932 on: May 18, 2023, 01:41:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I know Joe has his flaws, but I have to remember that the season started with a massive scandal that could've thrown our locker room into a tailspin. For the most part, he's gotten guys to stay on track.

Yeah I guess. It was a difficult situation for sure. And truth be told we had letdowns even with Ime last season

I still get super annoyed with his timeout strategies though. Not just when the other team is making a big run, but late in games when it's a close game, he seems to pick and choose when to call timeouts or let them play it out. No set strategy

Coaches need to do more than just manage a locker room.  If that's all it took, teams would hire therapists and actors as coaches.  The in-game stuff matters.

I've been around the forums awhile, and no matter what, people complain about the coach. People complained about Doc. People complained about Brad. People complained about Ime. Now people are complaining about Joe. And it's usually the same people. If y'all think you can do better, throw your resume in the ring.
Amen! TP

Like it or not this is our team for the rest of these playoffs. Ride or die with them. They have warts but it’s not out of the question they win a title. What does constant complaining about the coach help right now? Save that for the off-season.

If you think that that coach is actively damaging the team's title chances, why not talk about it?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #933 on: May 18, 2023, 01:42:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Anyone have the feeling we're kind of locked into a 7 game series now?  With game 7 being a crapshoot?

Again...

But they somehow seem to find a way to win more 7 game series than they lose.  Which is no small accomplishment. 

Weirdest tea ever.

I'll be happy if it goes seven games after that performance.  The Celtics should be worried that it ends in five.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #934 on: May 18, 2023, 01:44:53 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Like Roy...I am a bit nervous the Heat just will themselves to the series in 5 games.

Game two once again is a must. Lose that one and this is over in 5 or 6.

« Reply #935 on: May 18, 2023, 01:45:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Do you think he's a good coach?  The best possible coach for a championship contending team?

And...  the "you do better" argument is so lame and overused.  I'm not a professional chef, but I know garbage if it's served to me.  Joe is judged against his peers, not posters on a message board.  Although, my guess is that some bloggers on here could, in fact, do better.  All Joe offers is personality skills, and even those have some question marks.  At least now when he's frustrated he's throwing clipboards and walking out of huddles now, instead of choking women.

New theory:  Joe doesn't call timeouts in critical moments because he's concerned that if he does, he'll give into his short temper and will feloniously assault somebody (for the third time).  Better to keep his potential victims on the floor, far away from him.  We've all seen what happens when Joe gets mad.

« Reply #936 on: May 18, 2023, 01:48:09 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380

Amen! TP

If you think that that coach is actively damaging the team's title chances, why not talk about it?
Ya, i get your point. I’d prefer it stays in the Fire Joe thread I guess. I get tired of the negativity. I’m an inherently “sky is falling” kind of guy so I need optimism on this site.

« Reply #937 on: May 18, 2023, 01:48:35 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 195

Again...

Weirdest team ever.

After the way that game turned out last night and the more talk I hear coming from that heat locker room specifically the extreme confidence jimmy butler has that they will win this series, I think the heat at the very least are taking this 7. Wouldn’t shock me at all if they’re in the finals and not us.
Also don’t care if they’re the 8 seed.they were the 1 seed last season and are currently playing better than they were last year. They punked the bucks in the first round, emasculated the knicks in the second and then were given “no chance” against us. Lol.

« Reply #938 on: May 18, 2023, 01:48:46 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Again...

Weirdest team ever.

No. I still think it's a 6 game series. I figured the Heat would steal a game or two so I'm not panicking. Taking a step back, they shot an absurd 52% from 3 and only beat us by 7.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #939 on: May 18, 2023, 01:51:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Amen! TP

Ya, i get your point. I’d prefer it stays in the Fire Joe thread I guess. I get tired of the negativity. I’m an inherently “sky is falling” kind of guy so I need optimism on this site.

I get it.  The game thread probably isn't a safe space from that stuff, though, because it's in the moment and in the aftermath.  And even in the Grant Williams thread, so much of it is coaching dependent.

But, I understand.  By tomorrow night, I think all of us will be hopeful and cheering the team on. 

« Reply #940 on: May 18, 2023, 01:53:51 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Amen! TP

I think you might be in the wrong place for optimism. This place can often fall into being an echochamber of whininess. At those points, I just peace out for a month or two.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #941 on: May 18, 2023, 02:12:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1645
  • What a Pub Should Be

Again...

Weirdest team ever.

No. I still think it's a 6 game series. I figured the Heat would steal a game or two so I'm not panicking. Taking a step back, they shot an absurd 52% from 3 and only beat us by 7.

Same.  I'm not terribly worried right now.  I think last night was a bit fluky.  I also expected MIA to win some games this series. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #942 on: May 18, 2023, 02:15:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 889

Amen! TP

I think you might be in the wrong place for optimism. This place can often fall into being an echochamber of whininess. At those points, I just peace out for a month or two.

My feelings are a long these same lines.  This is a forum of avid fans.  You can't come here and then not expect the nit-picky second guessing and complaining or whatever.  It is what fans do.  I feel the complaining about coach Mazzulla is out of control.  Even dredging up some of things from his past now.  He is a rookie coach who is doing OK at best in my view, based on his overall body of work.  He was 3rd in the CoY voting so the view from the outside seems to be quite different than what you are getting from here right now.  But I just read, react (sometimes) and move on.  I understand how avid fans can get worked up about something like this.  There are always some good points mixed in with drone of complaints.

I find the complaining about the coach to be tiresome because I don't feel it is always warranted and also I think the players are just playing through it.  I don't think they are that worried about this time out or that time out.  Or whether Grant plays.  They did seem to have some feelings about getting RWill back as a starter.  But if we lose this series to MIA or otherwise squander a title, this will be about what the players did in big moments far more so than what the coach did.  There are now some good coaches who lost their jobs (or at least who appear to be good coaches).  There is an eccentric side to Mazzulla that is getting revealed as the pressure and visibility mount.  I don't think he will be fired over a time out call or how much Grant plays but there may be some larger issues that warrant off season consideration.

« Reply #943 on: May 18, 2023, 02:22:07 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 195

Again...

Weirdest team ever.

Same.  I'm not terribly worried right now.  I think last night was a bit fluky.  I also expected MIA to win some games this series.

Celtics should still win this series but last night wasn’t fluky. That’s the scary part.
I don’t care what the heats record was this year or how bad their offense was in the regular season. They’re currently playing the best basketball they’ve played in a year and half.  Not a fluke.

« Reply #944 on: May 18, 2023, 02:26:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1645
  • What a Pub Should Be

Again...

Weirdest team ever.

Celtics should still win this series but last night wasn’t fluky. That’s the scary part.
I don’t care what the heats record was this year or how bad their offense was in the regular season. They’re currently playing the best basketball they’ve played in a year and half.  Not a fluke.

You think they're gonna shoot like that again on Friday night or have another 46 point quarter?

I sure as hell don't.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team