Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 281255 times)

Re: Fire Joe!
« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2023, 04:11:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Joe Mazzulla: "Hindsight is 20/20, I should have called (a timeout at end of OT) to help us get a 2-for-1 or get a couple more possessions. Obviously, 14 seconds left, down 1, you want as many chances as you can. So, definitely learn from that."
A high school coach would be embarrassed not to make that decision correctly. An NBA coach, a supposed finalist for COTY? Astonishing.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #241 on: May 08, 2023, 04:13:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Joe just called himself the worst coach ever. Prescience or sarcasm?

“I am the worst coach ever,” Mazzulla could be heard saying as he made his way off-camera on Thursday afternoon.

Joe Mazzulla wrapping his presser today: “I am the worst coach ever.”https://t.co/VEIOBVqdOl pic.twitter.com/xMdbvrWqqu

— Bobby Manning (@RealBobManning) May 4, 2023

He was right all along

« Reply #242 on: May 08, 2023, 04:21:43 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
He’s not the right coach for this team. He’s going to cost them this series and burn another year if JB and JTs contracts. Brutal decision to hire this guy for this roster.

« Reply #243 on: May 08, 2023, 04:28:25 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 384
He’s not the right coach for this team. He’s going to cost them this series and burn another year if JB and JTs contracts. Brutal decision to hire this guy for this roster.

I kinda agree with this.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #244 on: May 08, 2023, 04:38:39 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1041

This. Him at the helm is wasting Tatum and Brown's year if we don't win banner 18 this year.

And IDK how JB feels being with the Celtics long-term. He might test the market and want to team up with his boii Kyrie. It's important to capitalize winning right away, but F/O on the other hand...ugh.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #245 on: May 08, 2023, 04:55:59 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
The problem is he puts to much trust and respect in these guys. He acts like we're the Duncan Spurs with championships to our name. The fact of the matter is this team hasn't won a thing and needs someone to keep them in check as well as humbled.

« Reply #246 on: May 08, 2023, 04:59:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Agree that he is not the right coach. Unsure if he'll definitely cost us the series with how much more talented we are, but he's doing his best.

It is such a shame that Brad put together such a solid roster only to have it wasted like this. Brogdon (and Gallo) were both good gets.

« Reply #247 on: May 08, 2023, 05:08:42 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 303
I feel like fans are so used to seeing coaches call so many timeouts at the end of games, that they can't comprehend when one team doesn't follow the same routine. All of these out of timeout plays have been run in practice, so is there really any need to call a timeout to set it up?

It's not the coach, it's the lack of execution by the players. We are seeing the same issues pop up every year with this core, yet we're on the third different head coach. At some point, the blame has to be placed solely on the players.

I doubt all three head coaches are telling Jaylen Brown to defer to Tatum in the fourth, but are also fine with Smart taking all the big shots that Tatum passes up on.

« Reply #248 on: May 08, 2023, 05:38:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I feel like fans are so used to seeing coaches call so many timeouts at the end of games, that they can't comprehend when one team doesn't follow the same routine. All of these out of timeout plays have been run in practice, so is there really any need to call a timeout to set it up?

It's not the coach, it's the lack of execution by the players. We are seeing the same issues pop up every year with this core, yet we're on the third different head coach. At some point, the blame has to be placed solely on the players.

I doubt all three head coaches are telling Jaylen Brown to defer to Tatum in the fourth, but are also fine with Smart taking all the big shots that Tatum passes up on.
The lack of timeout also precluded us from having our best offensive lineup out there. It was a failure by Joe

« Reply #249 on: May 08, 2023, 05:57:57 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 384
Joe Mazzulla: "Hindsight is 20/20, I should have called (a timeout at end of OT) to help us get a 2-for-1 or get a couple more possessions. Obviously, 14 seconds left, down 1, you want as many chances as you can. So, definitely learn from that."
A high school coach would be embarrassed not to make that decision correctly. An NBA coach, a supposed finalist for COTY? Astonishing.

"Learn from that"....Nah dude you had all year to learn from that and you FAILED miserably...It's the NBA Playoffs now...2 Timeouts left and you let the team walk the ball up the court and waste time.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #250 on: May 08, 2023, 07:14:58 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 326

"Learn from that"....Nah dude you had all year to learn from that and you FAILED miserably...It's the NBA Playoffs now...2 Timeouts left and you let the team walk the ball up the court and waste time.

I hear people defending this by stating that playing on prevented the Sixers from setting their defense ... yet walking the ball up the court allowed Philly to do just that. The only difference is that the Sixers weren't able to sub, but I don't know if that would've mattered.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #251 on: May 08, 2023, 07:51:05 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1039

He’s been a head coach for less than a year. I’m not sure what you’re expecting from a rookie head coach. Didn’t Budenholzer do exactly the same thing? He’s won a championship and still made that mistake. Because guess what… all coaches make mistakes. Just like players.

You don’t become an elite head coach without growing pains. Just because the core has been to the Finals last season and a few trips to the ECF doesn’t negate the fact that Joe has been learning on the fly.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #252 on: May 08, 2023, 08:40:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He’s been a head coach for less than a year. I’m not sure what you’re expecting from a rookie head coach. Didn’t Budenholzer do exactly the same thing? He’s won a championship and still made that mistake. Because guess what… all coaches make mistakes. Just like players.

You don’t become an elite head coach without growing pains. Just because the core has been to the Finals last season and a few trips to the ECF doesn’t negate the fact that Joe has been learning on the fly.

Then we should have hired a coach who wasn't quite so inexperienced.  Even for a rookie coach, Joe seems unprepared and unable to adapt.  He seems to process information very slowly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #253 on: May 08, 2023, 08:50:10 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
I have no doubt that Joe does some things very well that are unseen by fans.

That said, the 2 timeout opportunities were ‘spotlight’ moments and, especially after the first one resulted in a Smart 3 attempt (which couldn’t have been anyone’s 1st or 2nd choice), he wilted and opted to let the players take over rather than coaching the team.   Joe wilted under pressure twice. The first cost them a decent chance to win in regulation, the 2nd cost them the game. Hopefully it won’t end up costing the series.

« Reply #254 on: May 08, 2023, 08:53:20 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1041

Then we should have hired a coach who wasn't quite so inexperienced.  Even for a rookie coach, Joe seems unprepared and unable to adapt.  He seems to process information very slowly.

He hasn't had enough experience as an NBA assistant coach. And if he is gonna head coach, he should be coaching for a garbage/rebuilding team first to get the experience. He was under Stevens (whom I was getting tired already and wanting a new face, basically he was another Mazz) and then under Udoka.

This on Stevens for making the immediate transition midseason. Should've just waited it out since Nick Nurse or other candidates are available now. As for Joe, yeah, I blame him too for these losses and will def be on him if this team gets bounced in the playoffs.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)