Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 306291 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #2520 on: March 15, 2023, 09:28:54 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I got to say though I respect that the Bucks, a team that won it all two years ago, are still playing every night hard and like they have a chip on their shoulders, no matter who the opponent and what the situation is. Even when there's some adversity in games or their schedule, they handle it head on and at times they also play selfless basketball.

C's could learn a thing. They haven't won anything yet, yet still act like they can coast and "flip a switch" when needed. The Bucks are taking care of business against bad teams while the C's can't even beat the Rockets nowadays

The Bucks are doing what Boston did last year. They want home court and play like it is a goal. The Celtics are just cruising like the bucks did last season. They have flip flopped.

« Reply #2521 on: March 15, 2023, 10:23:28 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I got to say though I respect that the Bucks, a team that won it all two years ago, are still playing every night hard and like they have a chip on their shoulders, no matter who the opponent and what the situation is. Even when there's some adversity in games or their schedule, they handle it head on and at times they also play selfless basketball.

C's could learn a thing. They haven't won anything yet, yet still act like they can coast and "flip a switch" when needed. The Bucks are taking care of business against bad teams while the C's can't even beat the Rockets nowadays

The Bucks are doing what Boston did last year. They want home court and play like it is a goal. The Celtics are just cruising like the bucks did last season. They have flip flopped.

Not really. The Bucks lost Middleton last year, and its tough to win a title when your second best player is out.

The difference between the Bucks and the Celtics is the difference between Giannis's leadership and Tatum's. Giannis is the most valuable guy in the league in large part because he always brings it, every single game.

Tatum loves to play, but he's not on that level competitively. He has games where he gets frustrated, or doesn't bring enough energy. That's normal. That's what most players do. But the Bucks get something more from Giannis.

« Reply #2522 on: March 15, 2023, 10:59:44 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009

Not really. The Bucks lost Middleton last year, and its tough to win a title when your second best player is out.

The difference between the Bucks and the Celtics is the difference between Giannis's leadership and Tatum's. Giannis is the most valuable guy in the league in large part because he always brings it, every single game.

Tatum loves to play, but he's not on that level competitively. He has games where he gets frustrated, or doesn't bring enough energy. That's normal. That's what most players do. But the Bucks get something more from Giannis.

Well, I think it’s more than that. I think raw talent has a lot to do with it. Tatum is ridiculously talented, and because of that talent I think he’s got by a lot of times without having to go full energy and intensity every play. He can generally score effortlessly against anyone with his combination of footwork, ball handling, and size.

Comparatively, Giannis is less talented, but is substantially more physically gifted. But to maximize his physical gifts, he has to play harder most of the time.

So I think that has a lot to do with it. JT is going to have to learn to rely less on his talent and up his overall energy and intensity more frequently to truly get in that conversation for best in the league/MVP. I think hos inconsistency is the only thing holding him back right now.

« Reply #2523 on: March 15, 2023, 11:00:50 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar

Well, I think it’s more than that. I think raw talent has a lot to do with it. Tatum is ridiculously talented, and because of that talent I think he’s got by a lot of times without having to go full energy and intensity every play. He can generally score effortlessly against anyone with his combination of footwork, ball handling, and size.

Comparatively, Giannis is less talented, but is substantially more physically gifted. But to maximize his physical gifts, he has to play harder most of the time.

So I think that has a lot to do with it. JT is going to have to learn to rely less on his talent and up his overall energy and intensity more frequently to truly get in that conversation for best in the league/MVP. I think hos inconsistency is the only thing holding him back right now.

So if Tatum looked like the game was harder for him, we'd appreciate his talent more?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #2524 on: March 15, 2023, 12:22:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

he was talking about the regular season.  The year the Bucks won the title, they won a game at the end of the year that meant they'd play Miami in the 1st round.  They wanted the revenge and played to get the harder match-up.  Last year Milwaukee intentionally lost the last game of the year so they could avoid Brooklyn and it gave Boston home court.  That is what he was getting at.  I think the Bucks thought they could beat anyone last year and played with less intensity throughout the regular season.  And maybe if Middleton doesn't get hurt it would have worked, but the fire they have this year is because they lost in the 2nd round last year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2525 on: March 15, 2023, 12:35:24 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501

The Bucks played poorly in December, losing 4 in a row at one point. Like the C’s they also lost to the Rockets as well. Most teams deal with ups and downs. It’s a long season.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 12:46:07 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2526 on: March 15, 2023, 02:22:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
[dang]

NBACentral
@TheNBACentral
The Clippers’ charter plane got struck by lightning on their way to Denver on Feb. 25 😳, per
@NotoriousOHM

“The plane dropped in altitude several times and shrieks could be heard from passengers in what some staffers called one of the worst moments they've experienced on a flight…Shortly after the Clippers landed safely in Colorado, the team saw a mark that took some of the paint off the tail of the Delta Air Lines plane -- the result of a midair lightning strike.”

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2527 on: March 15, 2023, 02:38:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
ESPN Sources: Grizzlies star Ja Morant met with NBA commissioner Adam Silver in New York today. Morant has left a counseling program in Florida and moves closer to ramping up for return to season now. He must wait on league announcement of findings in probe, expected soon.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2528 on: March 15, 2023, 02:42:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
ESPN Sources: Grizzlies star Ja Morant met with NBA commissioner Adam Silver in New York today. Morant has left a counseling program in Florida and moves closer to ramping up for return to season now. He must wait on league announcement of findings in probe, expected soon.

Umm that seems like a very quick amount of time in the counseling program lol

Kinda sounds like he just took a quick vacation in Florida  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2529 on: March 15, 2023, 03:54:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

So if Tatum looked like the game was harder for him, we'd appreciate his talent more?
He needs to act grumpier to win MVPs
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2530 on: March 15, 2023, 04:32:01 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

Umm that seems like a very quick amount of time in the counseling program lol

Kinda sounds like he just took a quick vacation in Florida  :P

Memphis Grizzlies star Ja Morant has been suspended eight games without pay for conduct detrimental to the league, the NBA announced Wednesday.

The suspension covers the six games he'll miss, including Wednesday at Miami. Morant is eligible to play on Monday against Dallas, the same day he's able to rejoin the Grizzlies in the team environment.

Morant met with NBA commissioner Adam Silver in New York on Wednesday over his handling of a firearm at a suburban Denver nightclub earlier this month.

"Ja's conduct was irresponsible, reckless and potentially very dangerous," said Silver in a statement. "It also has serious consequences given his enormous following and influence, particularly among young fans who look up to him. He has expressed sincere contrition and remorse for his behavior. Ja has also made it clear to me that he has learned from this incident and that he understands his obligations and responsibility to the Memphis Grizzlies and the broader NBA community extend well beyond his play on the court."
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2531 on: March 15, 2023, 04:34:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1400
I honestly thought morant might now come back this season.

« Reply #2532 on: March 15, 2023, 04:40:49 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Don't care much about that, but it would be nice if he gets to the kind of competitive consistency where he summons the will to finish off the likes of the Houston Rockets in a March regular season game.

« Reply #2533 on: March 15, 2023, 04:43:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836

The Bucks played poorly in December, losing 4 in a row at one point. Like the C’s they also lost to the Rockets as well. Most teams deal with ups and downs. It’s a long season.

Better in December than March.

« Reply #2534 on: March 15, 2023, 04:48:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Don't care much about that, but it would be nice if he gets to the kind of competitive consistency where he summons the will to finish off the likes of the Houston Rockets in a March regular season game.
Forgive me if I don't particularly care too much about that vs playoff performance, where Tatum routinely excels. His 46 point masterclass down 3-2 IN Milwaukee weighs a bit more heavily than a poor game against a meaningless opponent.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)