Author Topic: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?  (Read 67615 times)

Re: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?
« Reply #210 on: January 19, 2023, 08:13:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just binge-watched The Bear all in one sitting.  I had planned to watch only the first three episodes, but the rhythm of the show kept me hooked.

It's a really good watch.  Jeremy Allen White is tremendous in it.  I initially thought it was an odd follow-up for him after Shameless, both shows being set in Chicago with some of the same plot themes.  But, it worked.  He carries the show, but Ayo Edebiri is excellent, as well.  Really, almost all of the cast is excellent.

But, despite a rave review, I thought that some of the plot points seemed a little too contrived, which I thought were out of place.  The entire season was about 4 hours long, so I'm wondering if they felt they needed to shortcut a few things here and there to add drama, instead of building to it.  I'm excited for season two, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #211 on: January 19, 2023, 09:44:40 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I have been watching Schnigadoo (spl) on Apple+ with the wifey. It's basically about a couple that inadvertently goes to a town where everything is a musical and  they can't get out. It has I think Kenan, a recognizable comedian. It's surprisingly tolerable for a show as a couple. You can tell they have made legitimate effort with the musicals and it's funny at times.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #212 on: January 19, 2023, 09:46:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I have been watching Schnigadoo (spl) on Apple+ with the wifey. It's basically about a couple that inadvertently goes to a town where everything is a musical and  they can't get out. It has I think Kenan, a recognizable comedian. It's surprisingly tolerable for a show as a couple. You can tell they have made legitimate effort with the musicals and it's funny at times.

That's pretty much a perfect description.  "Surprisingly tolerable" for one of my wife's picks.  It beats Grey's Anatomy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #213 on: January 19, 2023, 09:50:34 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 167
Just re-watched season one of Reacher in preparation for season 2. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #214 on: January 19, 2023, 09:57:39 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 998

Schmigadoon.  My wife and I are both Broadway nerds, so we loved it.  It stars Keegan-Michael Key (Key and Peele) and Cecily Strong (SNL), with a bunch of other recognizable names (depending on your level of familiarity with the genre) hopping in and out of the episodes.  It's a parody of 40s-50s musical theater (Rogers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Loewe, The Music Man), so the more of that you know, the more jokes you'll get (and the songs will be simultaneously hilarious and good, because they're all parodies too).  But just like SNL (this is produced by Lorne Michaels), enough of the jokes are funny on their own -- they're simply funnier if you understand the references.

« Reply #215 on: January 19, 2023, 11:23:48 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583

That's pretty much a perfect description.  "Surprisingly tolerable" for one of my wife's picks.  It beats Grey's Anatomy.

Hah -- I assume also beats Gilmore Girls.

« Reply #216 on: January 19, 2023, 11:28:48 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
What streaming subscriptions to people have -- and which do you think are most valuable?

I only have Netflix, Peacock (I think it's included in my cable plan) and Amazon Prime.    It drives me a little nuts to pay so much for TV that I am reluctant to keep adding subscriptions.  Yet, I think I'm missing some good TV.

« Reply #217 on: January 19, 2023, 11:50:39 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501
What streaming subscriptions to people have -- and which do you think are most valuable?

I only have Netflix, Peacock (I think it's included in my cable plan) and Amazon Prime.    It drives me a little nuts to pay so much for TV that I am reluctant to keep adding subscriptions.  Yet, I think I'm missing some good TV.

HBO is a must, IMO. There are so many good shows both new and old. I don’t think any other network comes close in terms of content quality. For $10/month, it’s absolutely worth it.

I recently signed up for a free trial of Hulu and have been impressed. Black sails, Fargo(the series), Only murders in the building, The Bear are some of the shows I’m watching/plan to watch in the future on Hulu.

Netflix on the other hand has gone way downhill lately and they charge almost twice what other streaming service providers do. Overall, have been really disappointed with their content  the last few years.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 11:59:22 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #218 on: January 19, 2023, 12:11:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

In order, I'd rank the ones we have have as:

Netflix
Hulu
Disney
Paramount + Showtime
Prime
HBO Max

But it's all pretty subjective.  We like all of them enough to keep them year round.

We subscribe to Epix, Starz and AMC+ usually for 1-2 months per year, to catch up on the shows they have.

« Reply #219 on: January 19, 2023, 12:20:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
I got rid of "cable" and just use an antenna for networks (there are a lot more channels than you would think) and then just pay for the streaming.  So we have the Disney Bundle (Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+), Paramount+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Peacock Premium, and Netflix.  On the whole we save a bunch of money since we had most of those with the cable anyway.  The only negative I've found is I don't have regular ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, TNT, or TBS so it does limit some of the sports I can watch, though you can always just buy the sports package if you are missing something.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #220 on: January 19, 2023, 12:30:31 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2524

The Paramount+ Showtime bundle is $130 per year. There is a LOT of stuff on there. If you're a Star Trek fan it's a must. But there's a wide variety of content, from CBS procedurals to reality TV series to the Comedy Central library. And of course the more serious Showtime and Paramount exclusives.  Lots of movies too.

I randomly threw on a few episodes of the original Beavis and Butt-head a while back. Haven't laughed like that in years. God bless Mike Judge.

But really all the major streamers are pretty decent. And, even all combined,  it's still cheaper than cable. The big hurdle is the relative lack of live sports, particularly regional sports networks. NESN finally has an ala carte option but it's a whopping $30 a month. And Celtics fans have no options outside of YoutubeTV or Fubo, which are both $60+.

« Reply #221 on: January 19, 2023, 01:19:41 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup

The Paramount+ Showtime bundle is $130 per year. There is a LOT of stuff on there. If you're a Star Trek fan it's a must. But there's a wide variety of content, from CBS procedurals to reality TV series to the Comedy Central library. And of course the more serious Showtime and Paramount exclusives.  Lots of movies too.

I randomly threw on a few episodes of the original Beavis and Butt-head a while back. Haven't laughed like that in years. God bless Mike Judge.

But really all the major streamers are pretty decent. And, even all combined,  it's still cheaper than cable. The big hurdle is the relative lack of live sports, particularly regional sports networks. NESN finally has an ala carte option but it's a whopping $30 a month. And Celtics fans have no options outside of YoutubeTV or Fubo, which are both $60+.

Does Paramount have Deep Space 9?  I was making my way through that when it got bounced off Netflix.
Yup

« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2023, 01:21:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Does Paramount have Deep Space 9?  I was making my way through that when it got bounced off Netflix.

It does.  And also Strange New Worlds, the best Trek adaption in years.

« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2023, 01:25:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

Yes and you don't need the Showtime add on to watch those.  The Showtime add on is worth it if you like the Showtime shows, but otherwise Paramount + is pretty solid on its own given the CBS, Comedy Central, Nick, MTV, and a few other hubs that it has plus all of the Paramount movies over the years (or at least most of them).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2023, 01:36:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yes and you don't need the Showtime add on to watch those.  The Showtime add on is worth it if you like the Showtime shows, but otherwise Paramount + is pretty solid on its own given the CBS, Comedy Central, Nick, MTV, and a few other hubs that it has plus all of the Paramount movies over the years (or at least most of them).

What are they charging for the Showtime add-on now?  I know I got it for like $3 per month.  I like several of the series on there, including City On A Hill, Let The Right One In, and Your Honor.