Author Topic: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?  (Read 67643 times)

Re: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?
« Reply #240 on: January 23, 2023, 05:51:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501
Saw the second episode of Last of Us while I still have a free trial. I don't have too much experience with the video game so far it's mediocre. Maybe it's because the big budget I expect more, but to me it's been like Walking Dead with lots of talking and drama with not as much action. The action has been good and I will definitely say that these creatures are a lot scarier than any other zombie shows. So far it's not enough for me to keep HBO. I might do a month in the future once all episodes are out though.

I mean, it’s going to take more than 2 episodes for the story to unfold. What exactly do you find to be mediocre? I think the acting, cinematography, and special effects/CGI are excellent.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #241 on: January 23, 2023, 07:05:23 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Saw the second episode of Last of Us while I still have a free trial. I don't have too much experience with the video game so far it's mediocre. Maybe it's because the big budget I expect more, but to me it's been like Walking Dead with lots of talking and drama with not as much action. The action has been good and I will definitely say that these creatures are a lot scarier than any other zombie shows. So far it's not enough for me to keep HBO. I might do a month in the future once all episodes are out though.

I mean, it’s going to take more than 2 episodes for the story to unfold. What exactly do you find to be mediocre? I think the acting, cinematography, and special effects/CGI are excellent.

I suppose it was too slow paced which brings me back to TWD and they got so slow that it turned me off. The acting is good. I like Pedro Pascal since Narco days and I said, the action was good but too far in between. Maybe being on HBO and knowing it’s a big budget show, I expected more but that’s more on me. I thought it was entertaining but not enough to keep HBO beyond the free trial. I’ll probably go back in a couple months and watch the whole thing once it’s over.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #242 on: January 23, 2023, 07:08:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I watched Maniac on Netflix the other day, with Jonah Hill and Emma Stone.  It’s a Twilight Zone-esque story about two people in an experimental drug trial.  The it’s got some weird moments, and I don’t know if it makes sense, but it’s different and it’s interesting.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #243 on: January 27, 2023, 01:26:39 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Watched "Pepsi, Where is my jet?" documentary on Netflix. 

Very enjoyable.  I distinctly remember the commercial and the whole "Pepsi stuff" campaign in the mid 90s. Definitely collected points.  Remember getting a t-shirt.  I do remember the whole harrier jet controversy.  Pretty neat look back on how that whole thing transpired.

Same. That’s a good doc.

*Spoiler Alert Below*
Hilarious that the ruling set a major precedent. Always-corporations-first appointed judges are the worst…
*Spoiler Alert Above*

« Reply #244 on: January 27, 2023, 01:31:40 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
What streaming subscriptions to people have -- and which do you think are most valuable?

I only have Netflix, Peacock (I think it's included in my cable plan) and Amazon Prime.    It drives me a little nuts to pay so much for TV that I am reluctant to keep adding subscriptions.  Yet, I think I'm missing some good TV.

In order, I'd rank the ones we have have as:

Netflix
Hulu
Disney
Paramount + Showtime
Prime
HBO Max

But it's all pretty subjective.  We like all of them enough to keep them year round.

Agree that it’s pretty subjective. Case in point, I’d probably roll with the same rankings as you, but would now flip HBO with Netflix. Although for me it’s really close between everybody after HBO depending on the time of year. HBO has been on top for me since they released Chernobyl, the best miniseries of the 2010s IMHO—I also love Maher (only place left where civil conversation occurs between the left and the right), TCM and the Warner Bros. Catalogue. So I think whoever we pick as the top dog is probably a function of having our absolute faves?

Also, Peacock is coming into its own. I’d put it above Prime.

We subscribe to Epix, Starz and AMC+ usually for 1-2 months per year, to catch up on the shows they have.

Yeah, that’s smart. Same with Apple TV+ for Ted Lasso and now Severance. These ones are kind of a tier below such that there’s no way I would consider carrying them year-round, but they do have good stuff that makes them worth one or two months out of the year. I’m thinking about doing this approach with all the services after my annual subs expire this year (exception being an annual sub for Prime since I really have that due to all the 💩 I buy on Amazon). It’s a matter of only having so much time available rather than $’s (but why throw away $’s in a given month when I do not have enough time to watch the service that month? I mean, my time is limited when I am dedicated to one or two particular services I’m binging that month, and other priorities such as CelticsStrong 🤣)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 01:38:27 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #245 on: January 27, 2023, 01:44:57 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

I suppose it was too slow paced which brings me back to TWD and they got so slow that it turned me off. The acting is good. I like Pedro Pascal since Narco days and I said, the action was good but too far in between. Maybe being on HBO and knowing it’s a big budget show, I expected more but that’s more on me. I thought it was entertaining but not enough to keep HBO beyond the free trial. I’ll probably go back in a couple months and watch the whole thing once it’s over.

For me, I think it’s a brilliant concept that engages me. I’ve seen how that fungi works on ants in the real world via Attenborough (believe it was the Our Planet, but may be mistake as I’ve seen every nature doc he’s narrated). Absolutely terrifying to imagine a change in temperatures that results in the mutation/subsequent evolution of that fungi such that it can control humans like it does with ants already.

« Reply #246 on: January 27, 2023, 01:48:46 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Regarding above, here is one video about that fungi and how it operates among insects:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

Will absolutely add to the terror levels when watching Last of Us.

« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2023, 05:13:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just finished Inside Man on Netflix with Stanley Tucci.  very good show.  interesting concept

« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2023, 05:24:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
1899.  I couldn’t get into it when it came out.  Partially it’s because almost every character seemed to speak a different language.  Reading dialogue subtitles for seven or eight different languages was too much.

I gave it another shot with English dubbing, and really enjoyed it.  A very layered mind-twister.  I’m sad to see it cancelled.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2023, 09:22:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Regarding above, here is one video about that fungi and how it operates among insects:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

Will absolutely add to the terror levels when watching Last of Us.
well that was discomforting.  TP for adding an extra level of eeewwww to Last of Us

« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2023, 09:20:36 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I started rewatching Black Summer and I have to say, that is one of the best rawest zombie shows. Very underrated. One of the few that tackles the pandemic at its early phase and has lots of overlapping characters. They do some good scenes with those long single take shots that adds suspense.

The acting isn’t that great and there are some scenes that are a bit long. If this was a bigger budget series, it would be so much better but this is a really good show for those that like the zombie genre.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #251 on: February 01, 2023, 12:32:10 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1883
Just finished watching the 3rd episode of The Last of Us.  Powerful entertainment!  Unlike the first two episodes that focused on how the world was being overtaken by a global pandemic, this episode takes a sharp turn.  An unexpected story about two people who fall in love and take care of each other in a messed up world. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 12:44:35 AM by Silas »
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #252 on: February 01, 2023, 08:11:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Just finished watching the 3rd episode of The Last of Us.  Powerful entertainment!  Unlike the first two episodes that focused on how the world was being overtaken by a global pandemic, this episode takes a sharp turn.  An unexpected story about two people who fall in love and take care of each other in a messed up world.

Very good episode.  But...

« Reply #253 on: February 01, 2023, 09:00:50 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
Another movie, not series but the BJ Novak/Ashton Kutcher movie "Vengeance" on Amazon Prime was really entertaining.  Multi-layered story that definitely offers biting commentary on today's society.  Recommend.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #254 on: February 01, 2023, 09:55:04 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
So not a 'new' show by any means, but currently giving Oz a rewatch and it's interesting to see how dated certain aspects of the show are while others remain blueprints for 'prestige' television two decades on. If Twin Peaks was the first TV show to be shot like a film, Oz is probably the first TV show to be shot like 'an HBO show'
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.