Author Topic: Map Out Your Ideal, Quasi-Realistic Off-season  (Read 16295 times)

Re: Map Out Your Ideal, Quasi-Realistic Off-season
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2020, 05:29:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I might be the outlier here, but I'm vehemently against any trade that makes Smart our full time point guard. I love him as a player, but his constant offensive blunders in regards to turnovers and shot selection makes me think he wouldn't be a good primary ball handler for us.
Me too. I loved his 2018-19 season. Career-low in usage, his best defensive season and his best season shooting the ball by a country mile. He also cut down on his turnovers a heap. He regressed this season taking too many shots and his turnovers crept back up to nearly 2 a game.

Marcus was a much more efficient player and IMO better when he played 20-29MPG rather than 30-39MPG, which is where he belongs
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2020, 05:32:37 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
1. Trade Kemba + Theis + #14 + #26 + #30 for Ben Simmons + Mike Scott

https://tradenba.com/trades/QYhiedMUW

2. Draft Isaiah Joe or Sam Merrill at #47.
3. Pick up Semi's team option. I'm higher on Semi than most of you guys are. I believe he's a serviceable 3+D swing.
4. Re-sign Wanamaker. He's a ball handler who's perfectly happy to play off the ball. That's a pretty rare combo. Poor man's George Hill.
5. If Kanter opts in, trade him for cap relief + whatever future pick(s) we can get. If he opts out, let him walk.
6. Cut Javonte Green. He's on a non-guaranteed contract.
7. Cut Poirier and eat his salary.
8. Sign Drew Eubanks for the minimum. He is nothing special, but he plays with great motor and he's strong enough to slow down traditional Centers in the paint. Alternatively, sign Noah Vonleh for the minimum and use him as a stretch 5.
9. Sign a 3rd stringer SF for the minimum. Couldn't care less who we sign. My plan would be to give all the backup SG and SF minutes to Romeo.
10. Let Waters and Tacko walk. Wouldn't even offer them a 2-way contract. Maybe keep Tacko cause he's a cult figure? Meh, whatever.

PG: Smart - Wanamaker - Edwards
SG: Brown - Romeo - Isaiah Joe
SF: Hayward - Semi - vet/rookie min
PF: Tatum - G. Williams - Mike Scott
C: Simmons - Timelord - Eubanks

Again, give Romeo all the backup minutes at the SG and SF positions.
You're never gonna convince me that Ben Simmons will be willing and/or able to play full time center.
Yeah, because he's not a big man at all. "He's tall" is not a particularly convincing argument
So we would play him at the 4 spot instead.

The minutes shift from Kemba to him, which is a huge defensive, rebounding and playmaking upgrade, while subtracting significant shooting, but not that much less scoring. More shots for Tatum and Brown which they would take anyway.

Marcus becomes the starting point, R. Williams becomes a starter and Hayward moves to the bench, where he is the league's best 6th man. Scott adds bench scoring too. A killer defensive team. A better bench with actual scoring.

We would be a much better team.
That team goes from being one of the best shooting starting lineups in the competition to one of the worst in the blink of an eye. It also makes Philly a much better team (might be too good for us even, given how much Kemba has beaten Smart in the past). Not to mention the fact that Kemba is already the leader of our locker-room according to our players.

I think this trade would have a lot of unintended bad consequences

I agree we give up some shooting, but Tatum and Brown are ready to give us close to 55 ppg next year, and we should let them do it. That has to come from somewhere.

Half of the shooting you are worried losing about would still be here in Hayward. He'd just take shots for a bench that desperately needs it.

Philly would not be better. Defense is cumulative. Simmons was 1st team all defense last year. Kemba would be playing against the entire defense, not just Smart. I don't see swapping Simmons for Kemba making Philly any better. He isn't a player who makes others better. He's just a scorer and a good guy.

Kemba was also a slightly below average passer for an NBA starting point. Frankly, Smart is a better passer. Simmons is an outstanding passer. We finally get some passing talent on this team.

Finally, we lose a 30 year old and add a 24 year old. This is a pretty easy choice.

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2020, 05:49:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
1. Trade Kemba + Theis + #14 + #26 + #30 for Ben Simmons + Mike Scott

https://tradenba.com/trades/QYhiedMUW

2. Draft Isaiah Joe or Sam Merrill at #47.
3. Pick up Semi's team option. I'm higher on Semi than most of you guys are. I believe he's a serviceable 3+D swing.
4. Re-sign Wanamaker. He's a ball handler who's perfectly happy to play off the ball. That's a pretty rare combo. Poor man's George Hill.
5. If Kanter opts in, trade him for cap relief + whatever future pick(s) we can get. If he opts out, let him walk.
6. Cut Javonte Green. He's on a non-guaranteed contract.
7. Cut Poirier and eat his salary.
8. Sign Drew Eubanks for the minimum. He is nothing special, but he plays with great motor and he's strong enough to slow down traditional Centers in the paint. Alternatively, sign Noah Vonleh for the minimum and use him as a stretch 5.
9. Sign a 3rd stringer SF for the minimum. Couldn't care less who we sign. My plan would be to give all the backup SG and SF minutes to Romeo.
10. Let Waters and Tacko walk. Wouldn't even offer them a 2-way contract. Maybe keep Tacko cause he's a cult figure? Meh, whatever.

PG: Smart - Wanamaker - Edwards
SG: Brown - Romeo - Isaiah Joe
SF: Hayward - Semi - vet/rookie min
PF: Tatum - G. Williams - Mike Scott
C: Simmons - Timelord - Eubanks

Again, give Romeo all the backup minutes at the SG and SF positions.
You're never gonna convince me that Ben Simmons will be willing and/or able to play full time center.
Yeah, because he's not a big man at all. "He's tall" is not a particularly convincing argument
So we would play him at the 4 spot instead.

The minutes shift from Kemba to him, which is a huge defensive, rebounding and playmaking upgrade, while subtracting significant shooting, but not that much less scoring. More shots for Tatum and Brown which they would take anyway.

Marcus becomes the starting point, R. Williams becomes a starter and Hayward moves to the bench, where he is the league's best 6th man. Scott adds bench scoring too. A killer defensive team. A better bench with actual scoring.

We would be a much better team.
That team goes from being one of the best shooting starting lineups in the competition to one of the worst in the blink of an eye. It also makes Philly a much better team (might be too good for us even, given how much Kemba has beaten Smart in the past). Not to mention the fact that Kemba is already the leader of our locker-room according to our players.

I think this trade would have a lot of unintended bad consequences

I agree we give up some shooting, but Tatum and Brown are ready to give us close to 55 ppg next year, and we should let them do it. That has to come from somewhere.

Half of the shooting you are worried losing about would still be here in Hayward. He'd just take shots for a bench that desperately needs it.

Philly would not be better. Defense is cumulative. Simmons was 1st team all defense last year. Kemba would be playing against the entire defense, not just Smart. I don't see swapping Simmons for Kemba making Philly any better. He isn't a player who makes others better. He's just a scorer and a good guy.

Kemba was also a slightly below average passer for an NBA starting point. Frankly, Smart is a better passer. Simmons is an outstanding passer. We finally get some passing talent on this team.

Finally, we lose a 30 year old and add a 24 year old. This is a pretty easy choice.
I disagree that "half" the shooting I'm worried about is made up for by Hayward. I love Hayward, but you're replacing a near-elite 3PT shooter with arguably the worst shooting perimeter player of all-time. That isn't a small downgrade at all.

In that case let's say Simmons is comparable to Horford defensively. Do you remember what Kemba did to our defence last season we had against him? He averaged 30/5/5 over a 4 game. Quick small guards have always given our defence fits, almost as much as physical genuine big men. In this scenario Philly has both, and we have nobody capable of defending either of them particularly well. Embiid would absolutely feast on this team, not to mention the potential to add genuine shooting with those draft picks.

Smart is not a better passer than Walker. He passes less than Walker, has less potential assists than Kemba, and has a worse adjusted assist numbers. Just because he generates 0.1 more assists in one season doesn't make him a better passer. Per-minute on a career basis Kemba averages more, while having a much lower TO% despite the 10% difference in usage rate. That's a huge gap.
Simmons is one of the most overrated passers in the competition. His playmaking simply does not work in half-court settings - most of his passing is predicated on fast-break offence. And if he's such a good passer, why is he going to be our PF?

Simmons is obviously a better defender and rebounder, and he's younger. But he's also had multiple injury concerns and is a Shaquille O'Neal level shooter. That's a pass from me, especially because it would ruin our chemistry

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2020, 06:07:06 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I might be the outlier here, but I'm vehemently against any trade that makes Smart our full time point guard. I love him as a player, but his constant offensive blunders in regards to turnovers and shot selection makes me think he wouldn't be a good primary ball handler for us.
Me too. I loved his 2018-19 season. Career-low in usage, his best defensive season and his best season shooting the ball by a country mile. He also cut down on his turnovers a heap. He regressed this season taking too many shots and his turnovers crept back up to nearly 2 a game.

Marcus was a much more efficient player and IMO better when he played 20-29MPG rather than 30-39MPG, which is where he belongs

It's almost shocking to see how many shots Smart actually takes considering his poor shooting efficiency and having four scorers of the caliber of Tatum, Walker, Brown and Hayward on your team.

Smart took 12.8 shots per 36 minutes. Some other players:

Butler 13.9
Lowry 13.8
Richardson 13.7
J. Harris 13.3
D. Robinson 11.4

Last season Smart only took 9.3 shots per 36 minutes and that gave him a career high of a respectable (only above .500 season) EFG% at .533. In fact last year only Robert Williams had lesser attempts per minute on the team.
Coach needs to rein him back in.

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2020, 06:13:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

It's almost shocking to see how many shots Smart actually takes considering his poor shooting efficiency and having four scorers of the caliber of Tatum, Walker, Brown and Hayward on your team.

Smart took 12.8 shots per 36 minutes. Some other players:

Butler 13.9
Lowry 13.8
Richardson 13.7
J. Harris 13.3
D. Robinson 11.4

Last season Smart only took 9.3 shots per 36 minutes and that gave him a career high of a respectable (only above .500 season) EFG% at .533. In fact last year only Robert Williams had lesser attempts per minute on the team.
Coach needs to rein him back in.
Exactly. The more he shoots the less efficient he shoots, it's pretty simple. He's best used in spurts and not overly relied upon. Don't know if it was due to injuries or not that he thought he had to shoot more, but whatever it was it needs to be fixed

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
The trade idea in the original post for Turner and Oladipo had me researching.  On the surface Turner seems like a fine get, but when Turner was the lone center playing (minus Sabonis in the game) against playoff caliber teams the Pacers had a net rating of -3.3 whereas when Sabonis was the lone center playing against playoff caliber teams the Pacers had a net rating of +5.1.  That’s a big swing.  Maybe under Stevens Turner can pull a Robert Parish and really jump start his career as I find him a little overrated, and Sabonis is the guy I would want from the Pacers.  Also Oladipo after coming back from a very bad quad injury averaged 14.5 points on 39.4% shooting.  He might be closer to Isaiah Thomas 2.0 than his old self.

I think we also have to be careful what we ask for in more bench scoring.  We saw what things looked like when we had Rozier and Morris on the team.  In general I’d like a little more versatility and depth from bench.  Saying that I think our bench can improve in a hurry with my next point.

This was basically Romeo Langford’s red shirt Reggie Lewis like rookie year.  He showed some nice flashes this season, and I really like his talent.  Let’s say Romeo and Robert Williams make a good jump in their play that alone with improve the bench.  Grant Williams can improve on his solid play, and Kanter has his place.  We have the taxpayer exception, and I could see several good players settling for that in this murky market.  Let’s say we are able to sign Gallinari or Millsap or someone like that, and IT 3.0 version or Wes Matthews with the biannual. Oh and Smart will be back on the bench too with Hayward back in the starting lineup.  I was also pleased with Wannamaker as well, but more like an 8th-10th man this can push him too.  Suddenly our bench is looking very strong, and deep without making drastic moves.

Now our starting lineup.  If our starting lineup is healthy, and hitting on all cylinders I’d put it up against anyone. Obviously it hurt not having Hayward healthy for the playoffs, and I don’t think Walker was completely healthy himself.  If we had a healthy Hayward I feel pretty strongly we could have gotten by the Heat, and make the finals interesting.  The Hayward, Tatum, and Brown wing tandem when all 3 were healthy made the team elite during the regular season.  Lastly we should also expect more improvement from Tatum and Brown at 22 and 23 years old. Another year removed from Hayward’s brutal injury will help too.

Long story short I’m taking the boring way out with no trades lol, well maybe we’ll make a trade consolidating our picks and move up (like Killian Hayes but granted I don’t know this draft well). 

I did come up with a trade in another thread but that was just for fun Theis, Hayward, and the 14th pick for Wiggins and the 2nd pick (thinking Weisman?) but that would make us worse in the short run and a big downgrade in passing from Hayward to Wiggins. 

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2020, 06:12:52 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Why in the world would a division rival trade a 24 year-old all-NBA two-way player on a cost-controlled five-year contract for our 30 year-old all-star being paid top dollar? Does anybody really think the 76ers are going to hand us a Big 3 of Simmons, Tatum and Brown, all in their early twenties? And if we trade Kemba, one of the most popular player among the players, after one season, do you really think we’ll ever land another top free agent in the next decade?

With regards to trading Brown, Langford and six first-round picks for Giannis or Kawhi, that’s the price to get an all-NBA first team player/potential 2020-2021 MVP. Obviously we get Milwaukee to give Giannis the supermax with an agreement for the trade to occur immediately afterward. Kawhi would be a two year rental possibly, but if we welcome him like KG, we could have another legend the next 7-8 years.

NBA Trade Machine projects a 27-win boost for us if we get Giannis and only lose Brown, Langford and many first-round picks. It would make sense for him to force such a trade after seeing AD go from zero to hero in LA. We’d be in an arms race with the Heat to get him, too, so it’s going to cost.

https://tradenba.com/trades/kTyYfBvO5

Kawhi boosts us by 18. Obviously the appeal is pairing up with Tatum, Smart, Kemba and Hayward (A lot better than PG-13) to dethrone LeBron. These guys now have enough power to force these kind of trades.

https://tradenba.com/trades/K9RDLsVup
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 06:30:36 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2020, 07:42:38 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Several folks have suggested Hayward opting out for 4yr/75-80M deal.  I don't see that as realistic when he has a 1yr/34M option.  If he does opt out, I'd expect him to get 4yr/100M range.   

Same people though Horford would do the exact same thing for us. Economically speaking, Hayward would, in essence, take a 3yr/$46M extension? Even when his value is at an all-time low, that’s still not a good contract for him to get stuck into if he regains his all-star form. If he doesn’t, it doesn’t really matter, he’s already got that nine-figure deal under his belt.

If he opts out (I don’t think he does, I believe he gambles on himself having a great 2021 season), I’m sure the money will be there from someone (like it was for Horford).

I think with Covid and the cap taking a hit due to the Rockets/China controversy, it's not as simple as betting on himself. I believe he'd consider locking in a longterm deal if it made financial sense.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2020, 10:04:23 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Call me crazy but I'm not enamoured with the idea of us getting Simmons unless we have a lineup of Kemba, Jaylen, Tatum and KAT around him :laugh:. Really don't like him assuming any role on offence other than the "Draymond Green" role with some tweaks to account for his superior finishing but worse shooting (eg. park him in the short corner whenever he's not setting screens or going downhill in transition/the high post).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2020, 10:36:21 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Why in the world would a division rival trade a 24 year-old all-NBA two-way player on a cost-controlled five-year contract for our 30 year-old all-star being paid top dollar? Does anybody really think the 76ers are going to hand us a Big 3 of Simmons, Tatum and Brown, all in their early twenties? And if we trade Kemba, one of the most popular player among the players, after one season, do you really think we’ll ever land another top free agent in the next decade?

With regards to trading Brown, Langford and six first-round picks for Giannis or Kawhi, that’s the price to get an all-NBA first team player/potential 2020-2021 MVP. Obviously we get Milwaukee to give Giannis the supermax with an agreement for the trade to occur immediately afterward. Kawhi would be a two year rental possibly, but if we welcome him like KG, we could have another legend the next 7-8 years.

NBA Trade Machine projects a 27-win boost for us if we get Giannis and only lose Brown, Langford and many first-round picks. It would make sense for him to force such a trade after seeing AD go from zero to hero in LA. We’d be in an arms race with the Heat to get him, too, so it’s going to cost.

https://tradenba.com/trades/kTyYfBvO5

Kawhi boosts us by 18. Obviously the appeal is pairing up with Tatum, Smart, Kemba and Hayward (A lot better than PG-13) to dethrone LeBron. These guys now have enough power to force these kind of trades.

https://tradenba.com/trades/K9RDLsVup

First, I would be all over a Kemba for Simmons trade (although I do love Kemba), but I generally agree with you that Philly would have no interest. If for some reason we did come to an agreement, I think we could somewhat redeem ourselves by signing IT. In fact, I think that is the only way we could trade Kemba and not look terrible.

In terms of a Giannis deal, I don't know who MIA could offer that would be better than Jaylen. Are they trading Bam? If not, Jaylen is a MUCH better prospect than Herro, and Butler isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore. Jaylen is on a newly signed 4-yr contract. I know we often talk about how lucky we are to be able to build around Tatum, but there are so many teams who would kill to have Jaylen Brown at this stage in his career.

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2020, 01:15:16 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Houston has some players that could push a team into true contention.  Not sure if Houston wants to hold onto them or if they're ready to call it quits and do a slight re-tool, still with Harden and Westbrook, or at least Harden, but aiming for a few years from now rather than next year.  I don't now if they have cap space.  If they do, I guess they should try again and hope Westbrook is healthy this time...regular season Russ would have helped instead of hurt them in the playoffs. 

But if they do want to do a small re-tool and get a bit younger, I'd be interested in PJ Tucker for our run next year.  Tucker's grit and 3 point shooting, leadership, etc.  What a get he'd be for the C's.  At 35 I think he probably has 2 good seasons left, and a third at slightly lower level.

I think Houston will hang onto Covington, based on his age and how much they gave up to get him.  And I'm sure they'd like to keep the 31 year old Gordon.  But in case, here it goes.

https://tradenba.com/trades/RtxH-d3Tl

to Houston:  Smart, Wiggins, R. Williams, Kanter,
Houston has no picks and no centers.  Voila. 

to Warriors:  Eric Gordon, Covington, Poirier (add pick 27 and 47 to Warriors..remove 27 from Rocket's)
perfect for their attempt to thwart the Lakers next year

to Knicks:  pick #2 in the draft

To Celtics:  P.J. Tucker, Kevon Looney, Austin Rivers, Pick 8  (C's draft at 8, 14, 26 and 30)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 01:23:53 PM by wiley »

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2020, 02:53:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
1. Trade Hayward + #30 to Dallas for Tim Hardaway Jr & Seth Curry

2. Trade Kanter + Ojeleye to Portland for a future protected 2nd rounder

3. Trade #26 & #14 for #7-9

4. Draft Haliburton or Cole Anthony or similar (guard w/ some scoring potential)

5. Salary dump / cut Poirier, Edwards; let Wanamaker walk in FA

6. Sign Baynes, M. Leonard, A. Len, W. Hernangomez or similar to a 1+1 (team option) MLE deal (think the Amir Johnson signing)

7. Sign T. Waters to multi-year minimum deal

8. Tacko Fall --> 2 way

9. Sign a couple veteran forwards to minimum deals (e.g. Lance Thomas & Garett Temple)

Kemba / Curry / Waters
Smart / Hardaway / Rookie
Brown / Langford / Vet
Tatum / Grant / Vet
Theis / Timelord / FA / Tacko
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:10:03 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2020, 04:34:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Houston has some players that could push a team into true contention.  Not sure if Houston wants to hold onto them or if they're ready to call it quits and do a slight re-tool, still with Harden and Westbrook, or at least Harden, but aiming for a few years from now rather than next year.  I don't now if they have cap space.  If they do, I guess they should try again and hope Westbrook is healthy this time...regular season Russ would have helped instead of hurt them in the playoffs. 

But if they do want to do a small re-tool and get a bit younger, I'd be interested in PJ Tucker for our run next year.  Tucker's grit and 3 point shooting, leadership, etc.  What a get he'd be for the C's.  At 35 I think he probably has 2 good seasons left, and a third at slightly lower level.

I think Houston will hang onto Covington, based on his age and how much they gave up to get him.  And I'm sure they'd like to keep the 31 year old Gordon.  But in case, here it goes.

https://tradenba.com/trades/RtxH-d3Tl

to Houston:  Smart, Wiggins, R. Williams, Kanter,
Houston has no picks and no centers.  Voila. 

to Warriors:  Eric Gordon, Covington, Poirier (add pick 27 and 47 to Warriors..remove 27 from Rocket's)
perfect for their attempt to thwart the Lakers next year

to Knicks:  pick #2 in the draft

To Celtics:  P.J. Tucker, Kevon Looney, Austin Rivers, Pick 8  (C's draft at 8, 14, 26 and 30)
The only team that doesn't hang up the phone here is New York

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2020, 04:40:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You're not convincing me that trading Smart is a good idea unless the return would make the Celts a no-doubt favorite to win the title.

Certainly not exchanging him with other pieces to add a different set of supporting pieces / picks.

Smart is the heart and soul of a team that has enjoyed considerable success ever since he took the floor.  I don't think it's entirely irrational sentimentality to think that the team would need to be getting a huge return to consider moving on from him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
You're not convincing me that trading Smart is a good idea unless the return would make the Celts a no-doubt favorite to win the title.

Certainly not exchanging him with other pieces to add a different set of supporting pieces / picks.

Smart is the heart and soul of a team that has enjoyed considerable success ever since he took the floor.  I don't think it's entirely irrational sentimentality to think that the team would need to be getting a huge return to consider moving on from him.
To an extent I agree with this. Unless Smart is a filler in a trade to acquire a guy like Giannis or Doncic (unquestionable all-time great talents) then I'm finding it hard to agree with any deal that moves him. Even then I'd want to be absolutely certain. Don't want look like Orlando did trading Ben Wallace for the shell of Grant Hill

I do think that his best role was the one he played in 2018-19, so if he can somehow return to that level of play I don't really see why we should ever move him. All-NBA 1st team defence, locker-room leader and game changer. You don't trade guys like that for pennies on the dime.