Author Topic: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive  (Read 205517 times)

Re: NBA season suspended. Gobert has Covid-19
« Reply #165 on: March 11, 2020, 11:36:57 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
From ESPN:

Players from teams the Jazz have played within the past 10 days are being told to self-quarantine, sources told ESPN's Brian Windhorst. Those teams are the Cleveland Cavaliers, New York Knicks, Boston Celtics, Detroit Pistons and the Toronto Raptors.

Yep. They played them last night. They are definitely at risk.

If Gobert had it during that game, which seems likely given how long it takes for symptoms to surface, I have to imagine there is an extremely high chance someone else contracted it. Heck any of those teams that have played the Jazz - I’d be shocked if it hasn’t spread among players.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #166 on: March 11, 2020, 11:37:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I feel like Gobert should be fined or punished when the NBA resumes...

I mean he may not be entirely to blame, but that was super freakin' reckless, what he did on his part...

Not so funny now huh?

He should suspended because they had a rule of staying 6 to 8 feet from reports when he did this.
Maybe just me, but perhaps getting a disease that has the possibility to kill him or people in his family might be punishment enough.

What about the media/reporter's families? Or possibly other NBA player's families? Or people that could've been afflicted by this virus? Maybe I'm spiteful, but I would feel sick to my stomach if I got the virus or one of my loved ones contracted it. I know Gobert was trying to make light of it, but his actions seriously remind me of half the Facebook friends that post online, "but it's just the flu!" And crack jokes about it.

Gobert should definitely be punished...

But meh, maybe that's just me.
So if he or one of his family members dies, that's not punishment enough? Heck, just having that weigh on your mind isn't enough? Let's suspend him for games....if he lives?

He did something stupid. He is now realizing just how stupid he was.

« Reply #167 on: March 11, 2020, 11:39:21 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 895
  • GOT IT!!!
The economic impact this thing is creating is going to be massive.

« Reply #168 on: March 11, 2020, 11:40:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
From ESPN:

Players from teams the Jazz have played within the past 10 days are being told to self-quarantine, sources told ESPN's Brian Windhorst. Those teams are the Cleveland Cavaliers, New York Knicks, Boston Celtics, Detroit Pistons and the Toronto Raptors.

If Gobert had it during that game, which seems likely given how long it takes for symptoms to surface, I have to imagine there is an extremely high chance someone else contracted it. Heck any of those teams that have played the Jazz - I’d be shocked if it hasn’t spread among players.

And if it spread to players on other teams, then it had a chance to spread to some of their other opponents too.

« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2020, 11:40:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3223
From ESPN:

It's the teams they played and the teams that those teams played and all the fans in all those games that are at risk.

« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2020, 11:40:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3223
From ESPN:

And if it spread to players on other teams, then it had a chance to spread to some of their other opponents too.

It's like a game of six degrees of Kevin Bacon!

« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2020, 11:41:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
From ESPN:

It's the teams they played and the teams that those teams played and all the fans in all those games that are at risk.
Referees, coaching staff, medical staff, team management, owners, radio and television broadcast teams....

« Reply #172 on: March 11, 2020, 11:46:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
I’m not surprised. Right thing to do.

Tom Hanks and wife  just tested positive. Thing is spreading much more than reported.

yup ...i d say 2-3 times more people are walking around with it and won't know they have contracted it for days .

with out massive lock downs , restrictions like china did , it will get out of hand seruous way. 

best hunker down.

« Reply #173 on: March 11, 2020, 11:48:09 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I mean he may not be entirely to blame, but that was super freakin' reckless, what he did on his part...

Not so funny now huh?

He should suspended because they had a rule of staying 6 to 8 feet from reports when he did this.
Maybe just me, but perhaps getting a disease that has the possibility to kill him or people in his family might be punishment enough.

What about the media/reporter's families? Or possibly other NBA player's families? Or people that could've been afflicted by this virus? Maybe I'm spiteful, but I would feel sick to my stomach if I got the virus or one of my loved ones contracted it. I know Gobert was trying to make light of it, but his actions seriously remind me of half the Facebook friends that post online, "but it's just the flu!" And crack jokes about it.

So if he or one of his family members dies, that's not punishment enough? Heck, just having that weigh on your mind isn't enough? Let's suspend him for games....if he lives?

Nah, you're right. I think Gobert knowing what he did is punishment is enough.

I would also bet that it isn't just Gobert who was afflicted with the virus. There were probably more people involved. Such sad news.

I just hope everyone in the NBA is okay.

This virus is crazy at how fast it has been spreading globally.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #174 on: March 11, 2020, 11:48:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
man thaat virus counter is gonna spin out of control now

« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2020, 11:50:28 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Henry Abbott

@TrueHoop
Big news day:
-WHO announces pandemic.
-Primary results essentially determine Dem nominee.
-Presidential prime time address.
-NBA season suspended.
-Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson positive.
-NCAA tournament without fans.
-Harvey Weinstein sentenced to 23 years.

What did I miss?

:-\

Sad turn of events, minus the Harvey Weinstein part. He absolutely deserved it.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2020, 11:53:07 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
wash ya hands and dont touch ya grill..."face"..

the planet will be aight..

*sippin*

« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2020, 12:00:19 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup

Not so funny now huh?

Nah, you're right. I think Gobert knowing what he did is punishment is enough.

I would also bet that it isn't just Gobert who was afflicted with the virus. There were probably more people involved. Such sad news.

I just hope everyone in the NBA is okay.

This virus is crazy at how fast it has been spreading globally.

It was a stupid thing to do, but he obviously wouldn't have done it if he knew he was infected.
Yup

« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2020, 12:04:44 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
the stuff can survive on some surfaces i think for days .  take a placelike a nba game or theater .....all those rails,  posts , seating , walls , bath rooms , handles , not to mention close contact of money , high fives ,  sneezing , water fountains , Ac , on and on .  It only a few people are in a crowded area that are sick , 100 s could leave with virus , not knowing they got it and. spread it to 100 'smmore before getting sick themselves. Best to keep out of crowds , and crowded public places.
Can't tell you how excited I am that I went Sunday night and sat in the crowd. On the other hand at least they were wiping down the escalators and for once there was plenty of soap in the rest room..lol

This is the last thing the owners wanted because they're going to lose some serious revenue. I wonder whether the players have to forgo a portion of their salaries since total revenues for the league were affected?

« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2020, 12:21:10 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 744