Author Topic: 2019 Historical Draft Thread(TIME TO REVEAL THE WINNER!!!)  (Read 204195 times)

Re: 2019 Historical Draft Thread(Round 3 done!!!)
« Reply #765 on: August 26, 2019, 06:32:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Three teams stand out to me:

Moses, Magic and Barkley
Bird, Ewing, Malone and Tiny
Oscar, Baylor and Duncan

Nice, watching this game and the discussions. I'll give every player and the commissioner a TP!

Those teams do stand out, but I also like the front court of Durant, Antetokounmpo and Russell on defense!

And West, Wade, O'Neal isn't too shabby either. PG, SG and C might be the hardest positions to fill in terms of fit and quantity of superstars.

TP for the impartial perspective!

I think SG is a very interesting position.  It's probably the shallowest... but once you get past #3 (Wade), you get a bunch of shooters that can play off-ball well and slot into many teams offense.  They just will struggle to defend the top 2 SGs and maybe Wade too.

There’s a guy who played SG in his early days that I put right up there with Wade. I think most fans will think of him more as a SF, though, which is where he achieved the most fame.
Time to try and figure out who you meant here ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #766 on: August 26, 2019, 06:34:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Moses, Magic and Barkley
Oscar, Baylor and Duncan

Nice, watching this game and the discussions. I'll give every player and the commissioner a TP!

Those teams do stand out, but I also like the front court of Durant, Antetokounmpo and Russell on defense!

And West, Wade, O'Neal isn't too shabby either. PG, SG and C might be the hardest positions to fill in terms of fit and quantity of superstars.

I think SG is a very interesting position.  It's probably the shallowest... but once you get past #3 (Wade), you get a bunch of shooters that can play off-ball well and slot into many teams offense.  They just will struggle to defend the top 2 SGs and maybe Wade too.

There’s a guy who played SG in his early days that I put right up there with Wade. I think most fans will think of him more as a SF, though, which is where he achieved the most fame.
I got a guy to put at SG that offensively was better than Wade by a long shot, offensively on Kobe and MJ's level. He would be great in today's system.

« Reply #767 on: August 26, 2019, 06:38:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Moses, Magic and Barkley
Oscar, Baylor and Duncan

I got a guy to put at SG that offensively was better than Wade by a long shot, offensively on Kobe and MJ's level. He would be great in today's system.
I think I have an inkling as to who you're referring to...

If it is then he's the guy I'm targeting in this upcoming round!

« Reply #768 on: August 26, 2019, 06:59:08 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
There are a few other stud shooting guards out there.

Now they were not defensive beasts, but they could put up alot of buckets.

« Reply #769 on: August 26, 2019, 07:06:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
There are a few other stud shooting guards out there.

Now they were not defensive beasts, but they could put up alot of buckets.
I was just PMing someone about this. There are 7-8 really outstanding offensive SGs left. A couple that would instantly become  #1 offensive options on a couple teams in this draft. Hope those teams grab them.

« Reply #770 on: August 26, 2019, 07:22:22 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
I have one second round player still on my board, but I think I overrated him upon further review.  Maybe not though.  Dude is a warrior.  Not sure he's even the guy for that position I'd select based on my team though.

I have five third round players still on my board.

Happy to trade TPs for PM discussion on how they'd fit my team.  Although I might decline for certain GMs depending on how close your draft position is to mine and if we have similar needs.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #771 on: August 26, 2019, 07:30:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I wonder if we will see any players being traded, rather than just draft picks.

« Reply #772 on: August 26, 2019, 07:31:06 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I have one second round player still on my board, but I think I overrated him upon further review.  Maybe not though.  Dude is a warrior.  Not sure he's even the guy for that position I'd select based on my team though.

I have five third round players still on my board.

Happy to trade TPs for PM discussion on how they'd fit my team.  Although I might decline for certain GMs depending on how close your draft position is to mine and if we have similar needs.

Hit me up!

« Reply #773 on: August 26, 2019, 07:32:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I wonder if we will see any players being traded, rather than just draft picks.
I think once a few more players are selected this will definitely be on the table. Once a few guys have their mid-late round binkies taken from under their noses I feel like player trades will definitely be on the cards

« Reply #774 on: August 26, 2019, 07:56:04 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
It's 7AM Manila Time, and I have called in sick for work, and I'm bored, so I know I don't have to choose years until the end, but I think I have figured out what years for the three guys I picked will be represented for the Detroit Pistons.

Kawhi Leonard:

With our 1st round pick, I'm choosing the 2017-17 season. It's very tempting to pick the 2018-19 year where he won the NBA Title with the Toronto Raptors, and the Finals MVP, and had a magical playoff run. What has been overlooked is his 17-18 season is as good, if not better, not just during the regular season, but also in the postseason.

During the regular season, Kawhi averaged 25.5 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.8 steals on 48/38/88 shooting splits. In the Playoffs that year, he took it up a notch by averaging 27.7 points, 7.8 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 1.7 steals on an incredible 52/45/92 shooting splits. The only thing that stopped Kawhi Leonard was an ankle injury. Accidental or not, let's save it for a different discussion.

With that said, no matter how great, how magical his championship winning season is with Toronto, we are taking the 16-17 San Antonio version. He's as good, if not better, and he had a quiet, but insane post season numbers on top of it, which is SO Kawhi.

Accolades:
All NBA 1st Team
All NBA Defensive 1st Team
NBA All-Star (2x)

John Havlicek:

This was hard, because Hondo had good seasons while winning the title, and he had better seasons but didn't. In the end, I'm choosing the 1970-1971 season. 

28.9 points, 9 rebounds, 7.5 assists, 45% shooting and 81% from the FT line. By the basic numbers standpoint, this is Hondo's best year, and we can't go wrong with taking it. We would need a boost in scoring along the way, and we are confident in getting that from Hondo playing the way he played in '70-'71.

Yeah, he didn't make the post season that year, but we are still taking the '70-'71 season.

Accolades:
All NBA 2nd Team
All NBA Defensive 1st Team
NBA All-Star (6x)
League leader in minutes played

John Stockton:

Another tough selection as he has so many great years, but ultimately, we are choosing the the 1990-1991 season.

Great year for Stockton, averaging 17.2 points, 2.9 rebounds, 14.2 assists, 2.9 steals on an efficient 50/34/83 shooting splits. He also brought it during the post season, logging in 18.2 points, 4.7 rebounds, 13.8 assists, 2.2 steals on 53/40/83 splits. Quiet, silent, but a beastly season. And with two legitimate scorers on the fold, we'd need someone who can get them the ball, and be out of their way while also continuing to be a threat, and that is '90-'91 John Stockton in a nutshell.

Accolades:
All NBA 3rd Team
All NBA Defensive 2nd Team
NBA All-Star (3x)
League leader in Assists

We have a strong team brewing, and with those seasons in tow, we are going to bring it, on both ends of the floor. And we cannot wait to bring in more top notch talent in the next rounds upcoming
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #775 on: August 26, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Have seen several sources calling D Wade the 3rd best SG ever behind Michael and Kobe.

Dude won 3 2nd team defensive awards....I guess he won those for his rebounding?

I have an idea why he is viewed negatively but don't want to discuss this in the thread.

This "guy" folks are talking about is NOT a better overall player than DWade.

But YEAH - I'm open to trading DWade.

« Reply #776 on: August 26, 2019, 09:14:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Have seen several sources calling D Wade the 3rd best SG ever behind Michael and Kobe.

Dude won 3 2nd team defensive awards....I guess he won those for his rebounding?

I have an idea why he is viewed negatively but don't want to discuss this in the thread.

This "guy" folks are talking about is NOT a better overall player than DWade.

But YEAH - I'm open to trading DWade.
In my opinion, in terms of peak, after MJ the debate for the next 4-5 SG's could go on forever. It's really just personal preference for my mind. I think he'd be quite a good fit next to West though. Plus, he's the best shot-blocking guard of all time!

« Reply #777 on: August 26, 2019, 09:23:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
Wade is the 3rd best SG of all time, but I just don't like his game in this type of draft.  Ball dominant, poor shooter, good but not great defender, etc.  He needs the right team around him and I don't think he is good enough to be the centerpiece.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #778 on: August 26, 2019, 09:31:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Wade is the 3rd best SG of all time, but I just don't like his game in this type of draft.  Ball dominant, poor shooter, good but not great defender, etc.  He needs the right team around him and I don't think he is good enough to be the centerpiece.
Then luckily he will be third banana behind Shaq and The Logo. I think having Shaq and West is having the right guys around Wade.

« Reply #779 on: August 26, 2019, 09:32:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Then luckily he will be third banana behind Shaq and The Logo. I think having Shaq and West is having the right guys around Wade.
Yeah, and Wade throughout his career showed lots of flexibility in regards to roles he'd take. Guy always bought in it seemed to me