Author Topic: 2019 Historical Draft Thread(TIME TO REVEAL THE WINNER!!!)  (Read 199183 times)

Re: 2019 Historical Draft Thread(Weekend is over and Round 3 is open!!!)
« Reply #705 on: August 26, 2019, 02:28:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
10th pick - golden state - Giannis
Another pick I believe to be early...extremely early.

« Reply #706 on: August 26, 2019, 02:30:15 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #707 on: August 26, 2019, 02:31:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Board is a bit wonky today. Double posts have happened to me twice even though I haven't had any delays.

« Reply #708 on: August 26, 2019, 02:33:34 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I am shocked that, for me, a top 20 player in league history, is still on the board.
Ah him. I mean there are some concerns over whether he'd fit the modern NBA, but yeah I'm surprised to see no one pick him.
Again, imagine these players all having grown up with all the same training, diets, supplements, AAU teams, financial freedom, and playing in the same rules.

What do their games look like now? What would their stats look like now? How dominant would they be now?

This player not chosen would dominate today's game.

I confirmed with nick to make sure we had the same player, and yep, he’d be a beast.

I think there are 3 guys, all at different positions, who could be that player.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #709 on: August 26, 2019, 02:33:36 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
Another guy I think you need to build your whole team around in order to get a strong showing from that player.

Tough to do that offensively with Russell there.

The defense will be a monster though.

« Reply #710 on: August 26, 2019, 02:36:17 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Well at least there is 1 shooter on that team. Lol.

And i dont see giannis as a top 36 player alltime. But thats perhaps just me

« Reply #711 on: August 26, 2019, 02:36:27 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
I had him rated higher than McGrady, Paul, and Wade.  He just won the MVP and finished 2nd in DPOY in a season he averaged 28/12.5/6 and was an active steal generator and shot blocker.  He also poses incredible match-up difficulties given his length, ball handling ability, etc.  Plus, his team had the best record in basketball and made the conference finals.  Sure his career doesn't measure up to the greats of the past, but with 1 season, I'd easily put his 1 season on par with just about anyone left.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #712 on: August 26, 2019, 02:37:36 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561

doesn't have to be, but his best season probably is a top 36 best season all time (obviously that means you only count 1 season per player).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #713 on: August 26, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
I had him rated higher than McGrady, Paul, and Wade.  He just won the MVP and finished 2nd in DPOY in a season he averaged 28/12.5/6 and was an active steal generator and shot blocker.  He also poses incredible match-up difficulties given his length, ball handling ability, etc.  Plus, his team had the best record in basketball and made the conference finals.  Sure his career doesn't measure up to the greats of the past, but with 1 season, I'd easily put his 1 season on par with just about anyone left.

Sorry for the double post. But, yes this is my interpretation, this past season was an all timer for efficiency and defense. I thought about the Russell pairing but giannis is a perimeter to hoop kind of guy, not an under the hoop type of player. I really like the 3 level combination of Durant, Russell, and giannis. The defense is really my primary concern - with all time greats at every position I feel the mismatch and versatility is paramount.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 02:48:00 PM by greenrunsdeep41 »
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #714 on: August 26, 2019, 02:46:12 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Tracey, wade and paul going too early imo.

Great for ke getting more of my guys later
I also think it is a round, maybe 2, early for all 3 of those guys.  There are several players at each of their positions that I think are better, both in career and in a single season. 

McGrady at least has the super gaudy stats in that 02-03 season, but with mediocre at best defense and no playoff success, I'm surprised he went in the 3rd round.  I figured middle to late 4th round at best.

Wade had a ton of playoff success and showed he could integrate and play well with others (i.e. Shaq early on and then James/Bosh later on), but he was never very efficient and was also a mediocre at best defender.  I think early 4th round was probably more appropriate for him, so middle to late 3rd isn't a terrible reach.

Paul was an elite defender and an excellent passer, but I never trusted his scoring, his health, or his attitude.  Plus he was fairly ball dominant.  3rd round is just way too high for him.  I didn't do a full board, but just thinking about who is still left, I think he is much more suited as a 5th round pick.

Wade was 2nd team All-NBA defender, an elite scorer and one of the top SGs all-time. One of the top shot-blocking guards all time.

We have proven Finals-MVP success for entire team.

I'd strongly suggest that you look at picking some mobile, athletic Bigs for your team, Moranis. Moses - while strong - was not the most athletic.

« Reply #715 on: August 26, 2019, 02:50:02 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

The hilarious thing here is you rate Wade too early...knock his efficiency at scoring but yet you ignore Giannis' lack of shooting.

« Reply #716 on: August 26, 2019, 02:58:46 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

doesn't have to be, but his best season probably is a top 36 best season all time (obviously that means you only count 1 season per player).

I wouldn't say Giannis 2019 was a top 36 best season of all time, especially when you factor in postseason play.  Despite his MVP award, I'm pretty positive he wasn't even the best player in all of 2019 postseason included (Kawhi).

But this game isn't about just finding the best players of all time, it's about finding guys that fit.  I will certainly pass on better seasons of players to get players that fit my team.  There are some recent MVP winners that I essentially will label as "do not draft" based on fit.  So you just gotta make sure Giannis fits your team that's what's most important.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #717 on: August 26, 2019, 03:00:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

The hilarious thing here is you rate Wade too early...knock his efficiency at scoring but yet you ignore Giannis' lack of shooting.

Another learning lesson here. gifs and memes that are aimed at making, in my opinion, a derogatory comment, won't fly here. And as I said in an earlier announcement and warnings, there are ways to voice disagreement and calling someone's opinion ridiculous will not fly here. 

« Reply #718 on: August 26, 2019, 03:04:32 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Tracey, wade and paul going too early imo.

Great for ke getting more of my guys later

You know - CP3 is one of the few strong PGs out there that could've managed Kobe's HUGE (and at times destructive) ego.

I worry more about CP3's ego than Kobe's.

I think you gotta build your whole offense around CP3 if he is on your team. Kobe, on the other hand, can at least play in different systems. He'll go off on his own at times but overall ... I am more confident in Kobe's ability alongside other stars than CP3.

Agreed.

And kobe is a proven playoffs winner.

« Reply #719 on: August 26, 2019, 03:05:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Another learning lesson here. gifs and memes that are aimed at making, in my opinion, a derogatory comment, won't fly here. And as I said in an earlier announcement and warnings, there are ways to voice disagreement and calling someone's opinion ridiculous will not fly here. 

Nick - I get it.

But as I just PM'd you - I won't sit by and let Moranis take shots at me or my team. HE's been doing this for several days now - especially in The other thread.