Author Topic: If Sheed was a mistake what were the other realistic options?  (Read 10520 times)

Re: If Sheed was a mistake what were the other realistic options?
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2009, 09:16:47 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I was always in favour of signing Dice instead: way better rebounder, better defender, great mid-range game, fiery competitor, plays with lot of energy and can play 4/5.

I agree with most of this, but I think Rasheed is a significantly better defender...particularly in the post, where I think he is remarkably close to Perkins as one of the best in the game.  And like I said before, I think Wallace brings more to the offense, if he can learn when not to shoot, because he can really open things up inside much more than McDyess can.

I agree about the post defence, but IMO McDyess is better on everything else defensively. I'm not sure if an efficient 20ft shooter like McDyess isn't a better tool to space the floor than a relatively inefficient 3pt shooter like Sheed.

Other Options

Antonio McDyess, Zaza Pachulia, Brandon Bass, Ramon Sessions, Carlos Delfino, Jamario Moon, Anthony Parker, Drew Gooden, Allen Iverson, Rasho Nesterovic, Channing Frye ... maybe Grant Hill? Would the MLE have gotten him out of Phoenix? Hard to tell.

Options vs Wallace

Do any of those options scream out as superior players to Wallace? As players who could offer more in their possible Celtics' role than Wallace can as the lead backup big man?

(1) I think Sessions is a better player (best player in the mix) but I don't see him making a larger impact due to a minutes squeeze behind Rondo. Plus I don't like having another point player/perimeter player who can't shoot the ball.

(2) Antonio McDyess is a fair question but he's struggling just as much, more so even, than Rasheed is so that's a tough question to answer.

(3) Brandon Bass is a maybe. It makes us quite small up front but maybe.

(4) Grant Hill is a legitimate possibility but I don't know how possible that would have been. Signing him away from Phoenix I mean.

1. Agreed with the last sentence - no way we could handle another guard who can't shoot out of 5 ft, but not that Sessions is the better player in the mix.

3. In abstract, I think Bass is a better player with a much friendlier contract. However I'd also be worried about length inside.

4. Hasn't Donnie Walsh offered him a full-MLE contract? I think I read something about it, not sure though. In any case, is Grant Hill + LLE Big Man (who?) > Marquis Daniels + Wallace? Not sure about this either, I don't think it would be.

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2009, 09:37:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
4. Hasn't Donnie Walsh offered him a full-MLE contract? I think I read something about it, not sure though.
Yes, Donnie Walsh made that offer ... but there's a big difference between the Knicks offering that contract and a title contender like the Celtics.

That could swing the decision the other way, but it's impossible to know. It may have made no difference. We'll never know.

In any case, is Grant Hill + LLE Big Man (who?) > Marquis Daniels + Wallace? Not sure about this either, I don't think it would be.
Great point.

We're probably talking about Rasho Nesterovic (LLE), Ryan Hollins (a little over the LLE), Channing Frye (LLE like deal) ... plus minimum contract bigs were Joe Smith, Ike Diogu, Adonal Foyle, Sean Marks, Theo Ratliff, Brian Skinner and so forth.

Not sure if we should included Marquis Daniels since he didn't sign for almost another two weeks + the Celtics got lucky that he was willing to take less money to play for a contender. Information Danny wouldn't have known for sure when he agreed to a contract agreement with Sheed ... but very good point nonetheless ... Sheed + Daniels looks a lot better than Hill + other big man options.

Maybe if they could have gotten two of those guys to split the MLE like Drew Gooden and Bass.

But it may only seem that way now. They probably were looking for someone who could beat out Glen Davis and I don't think Bass could. He almost didn't beat out Ryan Anderson
Brandon Bass signed for $18 million over four years. Drew Gooden got $5 million for one year.

It would have taken nearly the majority of the MLE to sign either one of them. I don't think the Celtics would have been able to convince them to take that large of a pay cut.

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2009, 09:42:27 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I still like the Sheed signing. 
Give it more than 20 games... we aren't even out of November yet.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2009, 09:51:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Other Options

Antonio McDyess, Zaza Pachulia, Brandon Bass, Ramon Sessions, Carlos Delfino, Jamario Moon, Anthony Parker, Drew Gooden, Allen Iverson, Rasho Nesterovic, Channing Frye ... maybe Grant Hill? Would the MLE have gotten him out of Phoenix? Hard to tell.

I don't know that everyone available was really an option. Were Bass, Frye or Sessions going to go somewhere that they had no hope of starting and probably wouldn't see a lot of crunch time minutes.

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2009, 09:59:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Other Options

I don't know that everyone available was really an option. Were Bass, Frye or Sessions going to go somewhere that they had no hope of starting and probably wouldn't see a lot of crunch time minutes.
Bass isn't going to get minutes like that in Orlando either.

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2009, 10:16:55 PM »

Offline revcummings

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
Sheed wasn't a mistake! Danny, Doc, and the big three all wanted him the most, I think that speaks volumes about what kind of player he is. Even though his shot has been off from outside, the guy has still helped the team, and once he finds his groove again these threads will all disappear.