Author Topic: Let Kyrie walk, don't go after AD, build around young core  (Read 6957 times)

Re: Let Kyrie walk, don't go after AD, build around young core
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2019, 05:32:30 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
It should be fun either way, with AD & Kyrie or with Tatum & all.

If you are talking championships.....superstars are the way to go....if superstars implode the team, only way that team loses in the Finals.

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2019, 06:25:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
Boo hiss to all this .

AD all the way !

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2019, 06:32:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I want to keep him but if anything I wouldn't let him walk I'd opt for a sign and trade or sign him then trade him Dec or deadline. Get something

« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2019, 06:47:12 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 563
I want to keep him but if anything I wouldn't let him walk I'd opt for a sign and trade or sign him then trade him Dec or deadline. Get something
If Kyrie decides to leave, he'll just leave.  There isn't going to be a sign and trade. 

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2019, 07:14:16 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1671
Boo hiss to all this .

AD all the way !

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2019, 07:18:17 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
One thing I think people overlook is that even if Kyrie leaves, it is not a given that we will be able to keep our young core together long term.  Sure, we a get a few years of cost controlled production, but eventually these guys are going to hit free agency.   I think it is more likely than not that NONE of the young guys retire as Celtics.  There is just so much player movement nowadays.  Tatum may say stuff about wanting to be a Celtic now, but I'm sure AD has made similar comments about the Pelicans in the past.  Thoughts of a dynasty built around our youth is a bit of a pipe dream.

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2019, 07:23:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
One thing I think people overlook is that even if Kyrie leaves, it is not a given that we will be able to keep our young core together long term.  Sure, we a get a few years of cost controlled production, but eventually these guys are going to hit free agency.   I think it is more likely than not that NONE of the young guys retire as Celtics.  There is just so much player movement nowadays.  Tatum may say stuff about wanting to be a Celtic now, but I'm sure AD has made similar comments about the Pelicans in the past.  Thoughts of a dynasty built around our youth is a bit of a pipe dream.
He had said numerous times about wanting to be a Pelican for his whole career. Players fall out of love with their franchises very quickly
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2019, 07:41:21 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
The young core is solid but not good enough to build a contender. Perhaps if/when Hayward returns to his pre-injury level and if Horford ages very, very well. Could see a Pistons 04/Spurs 14 type of championship team emerging out of that. Very uncertain though - those two things, plus youth developing nicely, would need to happen.

Best to keep Irving and trade for Anthony Davis.

Davis is a top-5 player in the league. Just needs health/continuity to be at an MVP level.

Always possible to trade Irving if things don't work out. But all should be fine if the team is well structured.

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2019, 07:53:58 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3089
  • On To Banner 18!
Just an observation I'm making, but it seems the "veterans" on here are pushing for the AD deal, while the newer and/or younger folks here (myself included) are not so sold on it for several different reasons. Just thought that was interesting  :P

I've been on the board since the '08 team and have been a Celtics fan since 1969 - I am for the young core, Phantom - I think that is the best chance to add to that great avatar you have, as in more Boston titles. Look how the Warriors were built.

I think we still could use another potential young star though regardless what happens in the AD/Kyrie summer saga. That's where the Memphis Pick could become gold and then we develop Brown, Tatum, Williams further while having Horford, Smart, Hayward, etc. Keeping Kyrie would be nice in addition to all that.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2019, 08:21:08 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I think we're stuck with the Irving/AD angle for now. If it somehow doesn't work out, Ainge will trade for the "other" ethereal player(s) who can get the team to the title.

The Pacers are great and fun and they're never going to win....ever. Hell, when they're playing other teams I root for them.

First round picks total 6 over the next two drafts. There is no where to put them. Ainge has to trade them.

Last night Brown and Rozier got it going at the 9 minute mark in the 4th and it was like a flash back from last May. Stealing balls and hitting big threes. We all loved that team and they weren't going to beat GSW or Houston or I don't know if they could've even beaten San Antonio in a 7 game series.

They were so much more fun than these guys.

« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2019, 08:49:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If Kyrie decides to leave, he'll just leave.  There isn't going to be a sign and trade.
Depends on where he goes doesn't it? Or do you mean C's rather clear cap and get under the tax again?

« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2019, 09:12:26 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
Are we really have this discussion? if we wanted him gone we would have traded him everything relies on what happens in the playoffs...

Anything less then the Conference finals means he's gone.

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2019, 09:50:21 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 502
Like it or not, Kryie = finals appearances going forward. Regardless of what is beside him, this is his team. The best teams going forward involve Kyrie. Kyrie + Davis = shot at title. Kyrie + Tatum and Brown = shot at title.

Brown + Tatum + whatever = hoping for a Title.

So Let's go Kyrie

Obviously if we dont go all in on Kyrie, we need to clean house on the morris' and Rozier of the world. Dissention is a problem.
#JKJB

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2019, 10:37:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
I discussed the roster left behind in the event that Irving walks in a recent post.

As much as I want to see this team take the necessary steps to compete for a championship next season I (like many Cs fans) have grown very pessimistic that will happen.

If Irving leaves I 100% think the risk associated with an AD trade is to much for the Cs to take.

As much as the step back in over all roster talent will hurt the fact remains that the Cs have players who are currently being underutilized in their current roles and who could theoretically thrive in bigger roles.

Tatum, he is currently averaging 16ppg in 31min with 13FGA. I wouldn't be shocked to see him make a McGrady like leap in his 3rd year if he becomes the teams #1 option. T-Mac went from 15ppg in 31mpg on 13 FGA per game as a 20 year old 3rd year play to 27ppg in 40min with 22 FGA in his 4th season after signing with Orlando. I'm not saying Tatum will play that many minutes or take that many shots but a 22 +ppg season is a very realistic expectation.

Brown, he statistical regression this season is largely due to an inconsistent role and his early season injury. Much like Tatum I think he would thrive in a more consistent role and could put up numbers like he did in last years playoffs 18ppg in an expanded role next season.   

Hayward, its hard to clearly predict what the rest of his career will look like but I suspect another year removed from his injury and a larger offensive load would see Hayward trend more toward the player he was in Utah. Without Irving he would likely take on a much bigger play making role for the Cs this could be the key to allowing Tatum and Brown to expand their games.

Ojeleye, he will never be a stats guy but I really want to see Semi play a larger role on the team. If he can consistently shoot the 3 in the 33-35% percent range then I would like to see him player consistent minutes as the 7th-8th man off the bench. His strength and defense along with Smart would be a nice step towards a new identity for the Cs.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet