at Washington Wizards (25-36) at Boston Celtics (37-25)
Regular Season Game #63, Home Game #33
Friday, March 1, 2019
8:00 PM ET
TV: NBCSB, NBCSWA, NBA-LP 755(DTV), 755(xfinity)
Radio: WROR 1057, WFED 1500 AM
TD GardenProbable Starting Matchups Point Guard
Kyrie Irving vs Thomas Satoransky
Marcus Smart vs Bradley Beal Small Forward
Jayson Tatum vs Jeff Green Power Forward
Marcus Morris vs Trevor Ariza Center
Al Horford vs Bobby PortisCeltics Reserves
Aron Baynes (foot) out
Terry Rozier (knee) probable
Daniel Theis (knee) game time decision
Two Way Players
P. J. Dozier
Brad StevensWizards Reserves
Troy Brown Jr
Chasson Randle Injuries
Dwight Howard (gluteal) out
John Wall (Achilles) out
Two Way Players
Celtics will be looking for their first win since the All Star break as they host the Washington Wizards. This is the second of three games between these two teams this season. The Celtics won 130-125 in overtime back on December 12. They will face each other one more time in the last game of the season on April 9 in Washington.
The Wizards have changed quite a bit since that first game in December. John Wall is out for the rest of the season. Markieff Morris, Kelly Oubre, Otto Porter, Jr., and Austin Rivers are no longer with the team. Bobby Portis and Trevor Ariza are now starting for their new team. The Celtics stood pat at the trade deadline for better or worse.
The Celtics remain 5th in the East, 2.5 games behind the 76ers. They are 3.5 games behind the Pacers. They are 5.5 games ahead of the 6th place Brooklyn Nets. They are 4-6 in their last 10 games and have lost their last 4 games. They are 23-9 at home. Washington is 11th, 3 games out of the playoffs. They are 3-7 in their last 10 games and are looking for their second straight win. They are just 8-24 on the road.
Aron Baynes is still out for the Celtics but he is close to a return and is targeting Sunday vs the Rockets for his return. Terry Rozier missed Thursday's game with a sore knee and is probable for this game. Daniel Theis is a game time decision with knee soreness. For the Wizards, John Wall is out with an Achilles tear and Dwight Howard is out with a gluteal injury.
Marcus Smart vs Bradley Beal
Bradley Beal has been playing very well in the absence of John Wall. He put up career numbers in February and is averaging 25.7 points and 5.4 assists for the season. Limiting Beal will go a long way toward getting a win for the Celtics.
Jayson Tatum vs Jeff Green
Former Celtic, Jeff Green will be looking to have a big game vs his former team. He is averaging 12.4 points and 4.4 rebounds for the season. Jayson will need to limit Green's production and at the same time, try to get his own offense going. Honorable Mention
Marcus Morris vs Trevor Ariza
Ariza has given the Celtics problems in the past and is always a player that you have to pay attention to. He is averaging 14.3 points and 7.5 rebounds per game. Marcus has been struggling somewhat in recent games and this would be a good time for him to get back to early season form. Keys to the GameDefense
- The Celtics need to make defense a priority. Defense wins games. The Wizards are averaging 114.0 points per game (7th). The Celtics are averaging 112.2 points per game (15th). The Celtics have been struggling to put the ball in the basket recently, and so they can't depend on winning a shoot out with the Wizards. They have to play tough defense to limit the Wizards scoring.
- The Celtics need to be the more aggressive team from start to finish. They need to be aggressive in going to the hoop, in crashing the boards, in fighting for loose balls and in running the court. They also have to be more aggressive on defense. They have to be the team that wants it more. If the Celtics want to get a win in this game, they have to play harder than the Wizards. Rebound
- The Celtics are averaging 44.9 rebounds per game while the Wizards are averaging 41.0 rebounds per game. The Celtics have to put out the extra effort to grab rebounds and match or exceed the Wizards efforts on the boards if they want to get a win in this game. They allowed the Trail Blazers to get way too many offensive rebounds in the last game and need to work harder on crashing the boards in this one. Play the Right Way
- The Celtics need to move the ball to find the open man and to get quality shots. However, they have to make careful passes. They also have to play team defense and be sure to have each others' backs. They have to be focused and not rush their shots and play as a team. Most of all, they need to have fun out there and not freeze up. X-Factors Home Game
- The Celtics are playing at home and should get a boost from playing in front of their home crowd and on their home court. The Wizards have struggled on the road with just an 8-24 record away from home. They need to use their home court to help them get back on track. Desperation
- The Celtics have not won since the All Star break and have lost 4 games in a row for the first time this season. They have their backs against the wall and if they are going to turn things around, they need to start with this game.