Poll

Brown for Bamba straight up. Who says no?

Boston
34 (60.7%)
Orlando
4 (7.1%)
both teams say no
11 (19.6%)
seems like a fair trade
7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Trade idea: Brown for Bamba  (Read 11105 times)

Re: Trade idea: Brown for Bamba
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 02:08:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Sorry, I disagree with you and agree with Pho. It's better to have good wings than good big guys. Especially big guys with very limited range or inability to defensively switch onto smaller players.

To be clear, I see an important distinction between traditional paint-focused big men like Bamba, Gobert, Drummond, Adams, etc, and do-it-all big men like AD, Jokic, Marc Gasol, etc.

A do-everything big is one of the most valuable pieces you can have on your team.  Horford, in some sense, is that kind of player.  He's got a hand in everything the Celtics do.  The team basically runs through him.

Bamba is not that kind of big man, in my opinion.  The rim running / rim protecting / board grabbing big man, though still valuable, is less crucial and more easily replaced than ever before.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 02:18:01 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Sorry, I disagree with you and agree with Pho. It's better to have good wings than good big guys. Especially big guys with very limited range or inability to defensively switch onto smaller players.

To be clear, I see an important distinction between traditional paint-focused big men like Bamba, Gobert, Drummond, Adams, etc, and do-it-all big men like AD, Jokic, Marc Gasol, etc.

A do-everything big is one of the most valuable pieces you can have on your team.  Horford, in some sense, is that kind of player.  He's got a hand in everything the Celtics do.  The team basically runs through him.

Bamba is not that kind of big man, in my opinion.  The rim running / rim protecting / board grabbing big man, though still valuable, is less crucial and more easily replaced than ever before.

This is a really good distinction.

In general, this is true of every position. Guards, Wings, and Bigs that can do-it-all are more valuable than single-talent players.

Jaylen projects to be a player than can do everything (I'm actually pretty high on his passing one day -- maybe he won't be elite, but I could definitely see him averaging 3-4 assists).

Bamba doesn't project that way. At that point, you have to ask whether the things that Bamba might do will be elite enough to change a whole game, even if he can't do other things (ala Gobert with rim protection, or Reddick with shooting).

I like Bamba, but I'm not sure he will ever dominate a game, even with his measurables. If he can't do that, and he isn't an all-around player, then he is relatively replaceable.

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 03:38:45 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I think you understated the case.  Horford is EXACTLY that kind of player.  He saw where the league was going and developed a 3-point shot.  He also serves as a point-center in the high post.  I don't see Bamba getting there, nor Williams for that matter.

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 04:07:22 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I think Orlando would have to add value. Brown (especially) and Rozier is too much for Isaac and Bamba right now.

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think that Williams and Bamba are very similar and we have no need for Bamba if we have Williams. 

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 04:50:04 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Stevens hasn't shown much inclination to play rim protectors, so I think this dog won't hunt.

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 10:46:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Stevens hasn't shown much inclination to play rim protectors, so I think this dog won't hunt.
Stevens has never had a rim protector that was any good either (I have no idea if Bamba will actually be any good though).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 11:47:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I always get confused by what people consider a good rim protector. Is a rim protector someone who is a big who plays great defense in the paint and limits teams from scoring inside or is a rim protector a big who plays great defense inside AND blocks a lot of shots?

Because if the desired result is to play great interior defense and limit points inside then, isn't Baynes a tremendous rim protector or because he doesn't swat a lot of shots, is he not a rim protector?

Because if blocking shots is the prerequisite, I would rather have the non rim protector Baynes playing for me than the block shotting, rim protecting Robert Williams or Mo Bamba.

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 01:11:03 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
If Orlando is dealing, they are going to trade Nikola Vučević and I think he could be had for a package beginning with Rozier.  They need a young PG to fit with that team. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 08:54:55 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
If Orlando is dealing, they are going to trade Nikola Vučević and I think he could be had for a package beginning with Rozier.  They need a young PG to fit with that team.

It's not possible to match his salary without giving up other valuable players.

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 10:15:05 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Save all assets for AD

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 01:23:43 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Boston tried to trade up in the draft and offered Brown as part of their package.
Orlando chose to stay put and draft Bomba so why would they trade him now?

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 04:12:04 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Boston tried to trade up in the draft and offered Brown as part of their package.
Orlando chose to stay put and draft Bomba so why would they trade him now?

Because only Cs fans believe they have gold in JB but the reality is or was JB couldn't fetch us a top 5 pick in the recent draft.... We may get Jeff Green himself back in a trade against The Wizards... That's how much value JB has dropped... Laughable but true.

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 06:25:50 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Forget Brown for Bamba, C's should be trading Rozier and Yab for Jonathan Isaac if it's a deal with the Magic. There a small chance Magic might still go for that.

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 06:53:46 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Forget Brown for Bamba, C's should be trading Rozier and Yab for Jonathan Isaac if it's a deal with the Magic. There a small chance Magic might still go for that.
I think they value Isaac a lot more than that.  His numbers don't look great but they are in love with his defense from what I read.  But I agree, I'd rather have Isaac than Bamba even though both are redundant with the Timelord.  Vucevic is the one that really would fit in with the Celtics, plus he's in his prime and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.