Author Topic: Do shoe brands make a difference?  (Read 3232 times)

Do shoe brands make a difference?
« on: July 25, 2018, 10:43:09 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This is a general question, but also one specific to Gordon Hayward, who is a sneaker free agent:

One company with strong interest in Hayward is New Balance, which would look to re-launch its dormant basketball category with the Celtics star. The company’s commitment to re-engage in hoops isn’t entirely a secret, as it recently partnered with the Celtics on the team’s new 70,000-square-foot Auerbach Center, the franchise’s new state-of-the-art training facility. In addition to New Balance’s expected interest, Chinese brand Anta could also emerge as a strong contender to sign Hayward. While Klay Thompson is the brand’s current headliner in China, where his “KT” signature line has been a huge hit for the brand that boasts more than 10,600 retail stores throughout Asia, the company’s familiarity with the Celtics could come into play for Hayward. Two of Anta’s initial signature athletes were Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo, both of whom signed just after their 2008 championship season in Boston, establishing a connection for Anta fans with the team ever since. – via ESPN

Nike vs. Puma vs. Adidas vs. New Balance vs. whatever. Does it make a difference, particularly in Hayward’s case related to stability of the ankle / foot?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Do shoe brands make a difference?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 10:54:03 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This is a general question, but also one specific to Gordon Hayward, who is a sneaker free agent:

One company with strong interest in Hayward is New Balance, which would look to re-launch its dormant basketball category with the Celtics star. The company’s commitment to re-engage in hoops isn’t entirely a secret, as it recently partnered with the Celtics on the team’s new 70,000-square-foot Auerbach Center, the franchise’s new state-of-the-art training facility. In addition to New Balance’s expected interest, Chinese brand Anta could also emerge as a strong contender to sign Hayward. While Klay Thompson is the brand’s current headliner in China, where his “KT” signature line has been a huge hit for the brand that boasts more than 10,600 retail stores throughout Asia, the company’s familiarity with the Celtics could come into play for Hayward. Two of Anta’s initial signature athletes were Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo, both of whom signed just after their 2008 championship season in Boston, establishing a connection for Anta fans with the team ever since. – via ESPN

Nike vs. Puma vs. Adidas vs. New Balance vs. whatever. Does it make a difference, particularly in Hayward’s case related to stability of the ankle / foot?

I wear old school Cons on the black top ($19.99) and notice no difference.  My jumper is as inconsistent as ever.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:56:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I like NB sneakers, especially the 574's and the 1500's, so seeing them make some new basketball shoes would be pretty cool.

In terms of ankle stability, I have no clue though. It would be interesting to see any sort of study regarding the fact. The general trend has obviously been towards low-cut basketball shoes though, with the KD's, PG's and low-cut HyperDunks all being very popular these days.
I always felt as though that trend may contribute to ankle issues, but in my personal experience in low cut shoes it hasn't changed anything.

I'm sure that there is a difference, mainly due to the different technologies used by different brands, but at the end of the day I anticipate Hayward to be wearing a brace regardless of the shoe he wears, so it shouldn't matter (hopefully).
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
They certainly do for running.  I'm sure its likewise for basketball.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 10:58:17 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Yes it does because each brand has a different "DNA" in designing their shoes, which slightly affects their performance, eg. Adidas' DNA is to include very prominent support features for most of their shoes/Nike does support in a more subtler way that's still effective. I really don't suggest him joining brands like NB or Puma that are looking to revive their shoe brands, the shoes they've released recently are rather bad in ankle support and lockdown. I'd suggest him to either stay in Nike or jump ship to Anta, the latter which has been churning out great shoes for great prices, ntm he would have a sig line. Chinese brands also value stuff like support and durability in their shoes a lot due to the majority of Chinese people being outdoor hoopers, so it would also benefit Hayward's ankle compared to say Puma or NB.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 10:59:48 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Not really, contrary to popular belief, most shoe brands share similar basics in terms of design and technology. The rest is just marketing and brand loyalty. Once you're at the level of a professional NBA player, you can wear the crappy EVA cushion and boring traction from Walmart shoes and be just fine. For even more context on this, a significant amount of players still wear the retro Jordan models, which are the equivalent of modern day Walmart basketball shoes in terms of technology and design. Don't get it twisted guys, the retro Jordans are not fun shoes to hoop in; it's like wearing ankleweights. I would be concern for Gordon if he chose a brand that literally started overnight, but New Balance (and Puma for that matter) have been in the shoe business for decades. They know what are the fundamental needs of a basketball player. If Gordon plans to be their star spokesman, I doubt that the shoe will be worn if he's not comfortable on it.

That being said, there is one aspect of shoe brands that SHOULD matter more to a fan. See the pictures of this tweet.
https://twitter.com/GotEm_Coach/status/1021806889645080576
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 11:15:45 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Different shoe brands have different basic designs. I've played a lot of basketball and my observation is that if I play in anything other than Nike, it feels really odd because I'm used to their design (been wearing Nike's to play ball for 25+ years). The weight, the cushion, the shape, the tread. At the end of the day, the differences are minor, but if I were blindfolded I would know fairly well if it's a Nike or not. Worst was a pair of And1's I bought for $25. God those things were heavy. I felt like I was playing basketball in cement shoes. Probably had more to do with the price point than the brand, but even cheap Nike's feel great on me.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 11:16:41 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Not really, contrary to popular belief, most shoe brands share similar basics in terms of design and technology. The rest is just marketing and brand loyalty. Once you're at the level of a professional NBA player, you can wear the crappy EVA cushion and boring traction from Walmart shoes and be just fine. For even more context on this, a significant amount of players still wear the retro Jordan models, which are the equivalent of modern day Walmart basketball shoes in terms of technology and design. Don't get it twisted guys, the retro Jordans are not fun shoes to hoop in; it's like wearing ankleweights. I would be concern for Gordon if he chose a brand that literally started overnight, but New Balance (and Puma for that matter) have been in the shoe business for decades. They know what are the fundamental needs of a basketball player. If Gordon plans to be their star spokesman, I doubt that the shoe will be worn if he's not comfortable on it.

That being said, there is one aspect of shoe brands that SHOULD matter more to a fan. See the pictures of this tweet.
https://twitter.com/GotEm_Coach/status/1021806889645080576
Um no. First off, those "crappy shoes" "work just fine for NBA players" because they have a lot of upgrades for NBA players only: eg. Non commercial use insoles for cushion for most brands/full length zoom unit for Nike clients (Kyrie had exactly that for his crappy cushioned Kyrie 2s/3s), special rubber compounds if the traction is shaky (Kawhi when he was wearing the AJ 31s), special PEs with better material uppers if the upper is sketchy, etc. As for retro Jordans, you clearly haven't really read up on how ahead of their time some models are. Models like the AJ 12 have full length top loaded zoom air, a technology that is still being used today and is regarded as one of the best cushion setups on the market. Even models such as Eddie Jones' Jordan models have zoom air in the forefoot and an air unit in the heel, which is a very acceptable setup even compared to today's standards, especially with Nike cutting costs more and more by using less and less quality tech in their shoes. As for their weight, a lot of shoe testers online who test shoes and give reviews on them online with considerable credibility (eg. Nightwing2303) have never really complained about Jordans being as brick heavy like you say. Sure they're a bit heavier, but they're nothing like ankle weights. Finally, you mean out of the basketball shoe business for decades, Puma has just made a return to the basketball field by going on a signing spree and released a chunky looking retro shoe that doesn't look close to having good support for their clients. Sure they probably have some hidden stuff to ensure the shoes won't kill their clients' feet, but it's a far cry compared to what other brands like Nike and Anta have been churning out these recent years, and I think Hayward should err on the safer side on this. If he wants money he could always go to Anta and earn a ton of Chinese money while not risking his feet lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 11:19:32 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I like NB sneakers, especially the 574's and the 1500's, so seeing them make some new basketball shoes would be pretty cool.

In terms of ankle stability, I have no clue though. It would be interesting to see any sort of study regarding the fact. The general trend has obviously been towards low-cut basketball shoes though, with the KD's, PG's and low-cut HyperDunks all being very popular these days.
I always felt as though that trend may contribute to ankle issues, but in my personal experience in low cut shoes it hasn't changed anything.

I'm sure that there is a difference, mainly due to the different technologies used by different brands, but at the end of the day I anticipate Hayward to be wearing a brace regardless of the shoe he wears, so it shouldn't matter (hopefully).
The cut actually doesn't affect ankle support, it's the stability of the base and whether the shoe keeps your foot locked in on the footbed and in the heel. So technically a low-mid cut sneaker that has a very solid heel counter, a very wide base, an exaggerated outrigger that isn't overboard and an upper that contains your foot/a midsole that comes up a bit to cup your foot for lockdown/an excellent lacing system can have excellent support.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 11:29:08 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I don't think any sneaker can prevent an ankle injury. I imagine the best thing to use is an actual ankle brace. I remember only using a brace for about a week or two when playing, after spraining or fracturing my ankles. I don't know what the braces look like today, but I remember them feeling cumbersome while wearing a sneaker.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 11:30:34 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I wear old school Cons on the black top ($19.99) and notice no difference.  My jumper is as inconsistent as ever.

Are you playing wheel chair basketball!?!?

When you say old school Cons I'm picturing these:

I use these because they're a great weight lifting shoe, with the flat, hard soles.  But my gym also has a basketball court which I'll try to hit up when I'm done lifting.  I notice a HUGE uncomfortable difference when I try to play basketball in these.  It's miserable jumping or cutting in those shoes.  So incredibly uncomfortable.  I have to put my regular sneakers back on before I hit the basketball courts at my gym, otherwise it's just miserable.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 11:53:03 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
But my gym also has a basketball court which I'll try to hit up when I'm done lifting.

You play basketball after lifting? You must be super human!

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 12:00:02 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
My 8yr old son says Nike makes him faster.

My belief is that different shoes fit different people's feet. I really only like running in Asics, they feel the best on my feet. Other shoes just have a different "feel" to them....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 12:07:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
My 8yr old son says Nike makes him faster.

My belief is that different shoes fit different people's feet. I really only like running in Asics, they feel the best on my feet. Other shoes just have a different "feel" to them....
Are his Nikes by any chance red? ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 12:27:21 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
When Hayward was injured, I think he was wearing Nike 2017 hyperdunk low. Kyrie and Tatum tend to wear Nike Kyrie 4. Brown wears adidas crazy explosive and crazy light and tmacs

They all have shoe deals with the company that they wear.  All these shoes are good (I’ve not worn any of them but read a lot of reviews on the shoes.) the Adidas crazy explosives especially seem to be really liked by non professional basketball players
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:33:01 PM by CelticsElite »