Author Topic: windhorst says IT should be in d-league  (Read 5358 times)

windhorst says IT should be in d-league
« on: February 01, 2018, 02:15:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1400
https://nesn.com/2018/02/brian-windhorst-suggests-isaiah-thomas-should-be-playing-in-g-league/

Is Lebron telling windhorst to say this? Please free IT he doesn't deserve this and it is costing him millions

Re: windhorst says IT should be in d-league
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Windhorst basically works for LeBron, so yeah.

With that said, I think it's not an unfair suggestion -- IT really is obviously not himself and he should probably spend a few weeks at least rehabbing in the D-League instead of starting games for a team that supposedly wants to compete for home court in the 1st round. 

IT really doesn't help a team very much unless his scoring is efficient, given how bad he is on defense.

I think it's a fair point that players returning from injury should probably be able to make use of the G-League for that purpose.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 02:22:10 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Well, he's not wrong. That or deep off the bench. He's playing very lousy basketball..

Look, IT was never a superstar. We built an entire offense and defensive system around him to make it look like he was one. I'm sure we all expected him to revert to his pre-Celtics average play... but he's even worse. I think that the injury might be career threatening.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 02:22:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

With that said, I think it's not an unfair suggestion -- IT really is obviously not himself and he should probably spend a few weeks at least rehabbing in the D-League instead of starting games for a team that supposedly wants to compete for home court in the 1st round. 

IT really doesn't help a team very much unless his scoring is efficient, given how bad he is on defense.

I think it's a fair point that players returning from injury should probably be able to make use of the G-League for that purpose.

Well IT has been back pretty close to a month now right? Even in baseball where the rehab in minors is common a month down there would be insane

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 02:26:01 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009

Pretty much this.

But, hey, if they want to keep playing him and have him continue to significantly contribute to losses, that’s fine by me.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 02:28:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

Pretty much this.

But, hey, if they want to keep playing him and have him continue to significantly contribute to losses, that’s fine by me.

Do you think they will send him down?

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:31:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
IT's got that Iverson streak, once he attains a status he'll be VERY disgruntled by any suggestion to step back.  I can't see him accepting the D-League without being incredibly insulted by it to the point it might affect his play.

That might be beside the question of whether it's the right move for Cleveland though.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 02:40:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Good point. IT should be there until he gets his conditioning & rhythm back.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 02:43:08 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
seems like anyone traded away from Brad Stevens should pretty much just retire. they're never gonna look as good again.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 330
IT is not the same player. It is pretty clear. Whether or not he gets back to last year's production is everyone's guess. I think Danny Ainge knew that a drop-off was very likely.

The fans on this blog who thought that IT was close to Kyrie are pretty quiet right now.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 02:52:03 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009

Pretty much this.

Do you think they will send him down?

No. The G-League doesn’t have the reputation of being a league where big-time NBA players can go to rehab and work out kinks, which is a shame.

I really hope Hayward plays in the G-League before coming back. It’d be a great opportunity for him to ease back into things, and I think it’d ultimately be best for the Cavs and IT, too.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 03:07:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
IT is not the same player. It is pretty clear. Whether or not he gets back to last year's production is everyone's guess. I think Danny Ainge knew that a drop-off was very likely.

The fans on this blog who thought that IT was close to Kyrie are pretty quiet right now.

I used to, last year, but the injury changed everything for me (and seeing Irving under a better coach)

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 03:21:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If a month after returning to NBA play, people think that IT still needs to go down to the G League for rehab, the questions that need to be asked are:

1. Did IT return too soon? Was he 100% honest with the Cleveland medical staff as to where he was on his ability to return? Or did the Cleveland medical staff get it wrong?

2. If after a month of getting back into NBA shape while playing at the NBA level, if IT still isn't where he should be, will any time in the G League even help? Has the injury been so severe that IT will never be what he was ever again?

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 03:35:37 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 449
Windhorst should be reporting for a high school newspaper  :laugh:

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 03:39:05 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Extremely quiet.

IT was very valuable to a team that needed his scoring (us the last couple of years) and therefore his usage rate would be sky high. However, on a team that doesn't need him to score that much (Cavs this season) or dominate the ball, he becomes a MAJOR liability because of his non-existent defense. I'm also referring to the IT pre-injury. I have serious doubts he'll ever be the same. The burst and quick change of direction are as gone as talks about the Brinks Truck.

Let this sink in...

Isaiah Thomas currently has a defensive rating of 117.5 with the Cavs.

Not only is that the worst by any player (min 25 MPG) this season, it's in fact the worst by any player in the last 25 years.