Author Topic: Monroe Buyout / Signing with Celtics (merged threads)  (Read 36693 times)

Re: Per Wojo: Monroe signing with Boston
« Reply #330 on: February 02, 2018, 02:37:49 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
they need to train him to do nothing except box out tristan thompson.  if he can provide that one essential and previously non existent service then i feel good about our chances. :)

How about training the entire team to box out?
No one does it, except maybe Horford.
I would have said no one does it, especially not Horford.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #331 on: February 02, 2018, 02:38:35 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 445
they need to train him to do nothing except box out tristan thompson.  if he can provide that one essential and previously non existent service then i feel good about our chances. :)

Marcus Smart does box out occasionally.

« Reply #332 on: February 02, 2018, 02:39:34 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Lol, TP.

Hopefully, Monroe doesn't come to Boston and pickup whatever rebounding allergy the team has.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #333 on: February 02, 2018, 02:42:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I am thrilled.  Monroe should help us a lot and we gave up exactly nothing.

As far as Cleveland, they will probably pick up Lopez or something but even with that, we have a chance against them.  I don't think the Celtics are quite as good as some here seem to think but they are better than they were yesterday.

« Reply #334 on: February 02, 2018, 02:48:37 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038

We have already become a much better rebounding team this season. Baynes, Theis, Tatum, etc have taken us from 27th in DRB% to 12th this year.

Our rebounding struggles are now exaggerated.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #335 on: February 02, 2018, 02:51:33 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Great news. Monroe fills two needs--rebounding and scoring. He and Horford make a formidable front line. Al really likes the 4 role, and Monroe is a natural 5.

I don't see him as a backup to Baynes/Theis, as some in the media are suggesting. He's a better player than either of those guys. I think Baynes is a bit overrated by the local media. He just isn't long enough to defend other bigs and is not an offensive player. The Celtics, however, may choose to use Monroe to anchor the 2nd unit for more offense there.

This was the move everyone was waiting for. It was clear NO was out of it when they traded for Mirotic, and the Celtics were the likely destination for Monroe. 

They used that injury exception to their advantage, and saved $3.4M in the process.

« Reply #336 on: February 02, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
MOOSE

Man, am I jacked. Been on the Moose train for a long time. Was real disappointed when we didn't even give him a sit-down when he entered FA after he had the courage to take the QO from the Pistons.

Now that he costs so little and fits the needs of strong, big rebounder and inside scorer and insurance policy and Horford rester, I guess he's more valued.

Aside from all his obvious positives (rebounding, passing, low-post scoring, durability), one thing that's rarely talked about is his willingness to run the floor. You guys will be pleasantly surprised about that.

I know for awhile there at the end of his Bucks' stint to the beginning of the Suns' banishment, he wasn't in the best of shape. Hopefully he is now, and if he is, you'll see him running the floor at every opportunity.

Moose is still young and has a lot of room for growth. Glad he'll do some of that growing here.

Now, one more 'Reke present under the shamrock tree, and watch out Dubs!!!!!

« Reply #337 on: February 02, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
TP to CFAN60's for your enthusiasm!! Make room for me on the train!!

« Reply #338 on: February 02, 2018, 02:54:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

We have already become a much better rebounding team this season. Baynes, Theis, Tatum, etc have taken us from 27th in DRB% to 12th this year.

Our rebounding struggles are now exaggerated.

Indeed they are, but they do often pop up during our losses.  It’s still a relative weakness, especially against some opponents, and it’s nice to have someone who’s made his living on the boards, who’s also a good post scorer and passer.  There may be some matchups he gets utilized less, but the Pistons no longer will pose much of a first-round scare, for instance.

« Reply #339 on: February 02, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
I think the obvious decline in Baynes, especially offensively, has enhanced the need for someone like Monroe. See Baynes' minutes dropping significantly.

« Reply #340 on: February 02, 2018, 02:57:33 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 445
I think the obvious decline in Baynes, especially offensively, has enhanced the need for someone like Monroe. See Baynes' minutes dropping significantly.

Yeah I love Baynes but he gets winded pretty quickly and his lift seems to be gone (see all the previous missed stand still dunk attempts) and the left handed hook is scary BUT his massive presence and verticality is still very useful.

« Reply #341 on: February 02, 2018, 02:59:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Lol, TP.

Hopefully, Monroe doesn't come to Boston and pickup whatever rebounding allergy the team has.
This team boxes out. Baynes and Theis in particular are rather good. The problem is that Baynes has run out of steam at this stage of the season, and Theis just doesn't have enough beef to keep people at bay when he plays the 5.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #342 on: February 02, 2018, 02:59:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Does he start?   

Do the Celtics need his offense with the starters or the bench?

You know what, this feels like a poll question.   I will go start one. 

« Reply #343 on: February 02, 2018, 03:01:29 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP to CFAN60's for your enthusiasm!! Make room for me on the train!!

Back atcha footey, you're on board!!!!...........Looking good Billy RayCeltics.............Feelin' Good Lewis Celtics fans.

« Reply #344 on: February 02, 2018, 03:02:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Does he start?   

Do the Celtics need his offense with the starters or the bench?

You know what, this feels like a poll question.   I will go start one.
He absolutely starts, I think. He was a 15 and 9 guy in fewer than 30 minutes before the Pistons inexplicably decided to put him on the pine. He should get 25+ minutes either way, though, because we can't play small all the time, and Baynes is kind of spent right now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."