Author Topic: Just wondering why there is always so much pessimism around here...  (Read 8633 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Right after the deadline...

Rarely do superstars get traded during the trade deadline. It just doesn't happen most of the time.

The Celtics have made a grand total of 2 in the past 17 years.

Can you name them?

Regardless, that is only TWO players traded during the trade deadline, and one of them is currently with us right now.

I honestly wasn't expecting Butler, or George. Everything usually tends to happen during summer.

Credit to a Celticslife writer for my thread:
Could a roster capable of beating the Cleveland Cavaliers have been put together? With their mortality showing, just maybe. Let me emphasize the "maybe". And there'd still be whatever behemoth rises from the West to contend with, this year, next year, maybe even the year after that. No young players, likely, to build for a future, and no Hall of Fame first-ballot guys with a little gas in the tank to move (sorry, Isaiah, you aren't even close to that level, not yet).

I know you want fireworks. But sometimes, if handled incorrectly, fireworks can blow off a few of your fingers, and you're going to need those in the future.

Repeat after me: the Celtics make their moves in the summer.
http://www.celticslife.com/2017/02/the-mostly-boring-history-of-celtics-at.html

Another player I also felt like would have ended up being great, and is teethering towards that with added consistency is James Johnson. I love his humble, and aggressive style. I always felt like he could've been so much better, and he's been having an absolutely fantastic year.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Just wondering why there is always so much pessimism around here...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:21:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
I actually think the vast majority of posters are relieved that we didn't break the bank for George or Butler with the Brooklyn picks and our core guys.

I think most of the pessimism is due to the fact that we did absolutely nothing to help any of our current weaknesses in the bigs rotation and rebounding departments, even though we have plenty of other, lesser assets to use in that regard.

Personally, I'm relieved we didn't break the bank for George or Butler, but I am still salty that we didn't do the Ibaka deal, who to me would've been an absolute perfect fit here that we didn't even have to resign this summer if we didn't want to. I would've gladly given up either the Memphis or Clippers pick with Rozier to get him. I do think Danny was being too stingy in that regard. Ibaka is certainly worth Rozier at this point with how bad our bigs have been at times.

I also would've liked a Noel deal, especially at that price, but I understand why Danny didn't do it if he feels we have a good shot at signing big free agents this summer.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:23:25 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214

Rarely do superstars get traded during the trade deadline. It just doesn't happen most of the time.

Can you name them?

Regardless, that is only TWO players traded during the trade deadline, and one of them is currently with us right now.

I honestly wasn't expecting Butler, or George. Everything usually tends to happen during summer.

Could a roster capable of beating the Cleveland Cavaliers have been put together? With their mortality showing, just maybe. Let me emphasize the "maybe". And there'd still be whatever behemoth rises from the West to contend with, this year, next year, maybe even the year after that. No young players, likely, to build for a future, and no Hall of Fame first-ballot guys with a little gas in the tank to move (sorry, Isaiah, you aren't even close to that level, not yet).

I know you want fireworks. But sometimes, if handled incorrectly, fireworks can blow off a few of your fingers, and you're going to need those in the future.

Another player I also felt like would have ended up being great, and is teethering towards that with added consistency is James Johnson. I love his humble, and aggressive style. I always felt like he could've been so much better, and he's been having an absolutely fantastic year.

I'd assume Isaiah is one of those players, and also assume that Jerebko and Gigi (acquired in a minor deal the same day) are not

Another deadline trade off the top of my head would be Perk for Uncle Snooze, but I doubt that's it either

I guess maybe Walker on his return to the Cs?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:24:32 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 326
The Cliff Notes answer to your question:

1) Wyc's "fireworks" comment

2) New Englanders' notorious sports-related pessimism

3) The buildup of expectations by sports journalists nationwide regarding Boston's "treasure trove of assets that could be used to acquire virtually any player at any given time"

I've been on the pessimistic side of the fence often enough, so I understand what the pessimists are feeling and thinking, but I'm learning to stop worrying and love the bomb that is Danny Ainge.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 11:27:42 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I actually think the vast majority of posters are relieved that we didn't break the bank for George or Butler with the Brooklyn picks and our core guys.

I think most of the pessimism is due to the fact that we did absolutely nothing to help any of our current weaknesses in the bigs rotation and rebounding departments, even though we have plenty of other, lesser assets to use in that regard.

Personally, I'm relieved we didn't break the bank for George or Butler, but I am still salty that we didn't do the Ibaka deal, who to me would've been an absolute perfect fit here that we didn't even have to resign this summer if we didn't want to. I would've gladly given up either the Memphis or Clippers pick with Rozier to get him. I do think Danny was being too stingy in that regard. Ibaka is certainly worth Rozier at this point with how bad our bigs have been at times.

I also would've liked a Noel deal, especially at that price, but I understand why Danny didn't do it if he feels we have a good shot at signing big free agents this summer.

I think you nailed it.  The frontcourt needs serious work, and it looks like we missed out on good/great opportunities to upgrade, two of which were potential long-term solutions.

I'm not confident any big FAs (outside of maybe Hayward) will sign with Boston in the offseason.  That makes the above even more of a head-scratcher.  But there is a lot the FOs around the league know that we don't, and hopefully we land a top 2 pick.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 11:28:39 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
There is usually a biannual salt-fest among the Celtics fan base. The first is the trade deadline, and the next is the draft. Its to be expected

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 11:28:59 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

The Cliff Notes answer to your question:

1) Wyc's "fireworks" comment

2) New Englanders' notorious sports-related pessimism

3) The buildup of expectations by sports journalists nationwide regarding Boston's "treasure trove of assets that could be used to acquire virtually any player at any given time"

I've been on the pessimistic side of the fence often enough, so I understand what the pessimists are feeling and thinking, but I'm learning to stop worrying and love the bomb that is Danny Ainge.

My only pessimistic thought with my original line of thinking when posting this thread is... Teams expect us to throw out some exorbitant amount for these Allstars. Ainge is smart, and likes to wait for better opportunities to open up.

If we wait one more year, it wouldn't even kill us to see how good our first round draft pick is, and whether or not we can sign any free agents.

Can you name them?

I'd assume Isaiah is one of those players, and also assume that Jerebko and Gigi (acquired in a minor deal the same day) are not

Another deadline trade off the top of my head would be Perk for Uncle Snooze, but I doubt that's it either

I guess maybe Walker on his return to the Cs?

Yup.

TP.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:31:07 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
New Englanders' notorious sports-related pessimism

This. New England sports teams in general are the most successful out of any city in the country, especially in the last 15 years.

Yet they are still the grumpiest fans in the world. Go figure.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 11:32:46 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

This. New England sports teams in general are the most successful out of any city in the country, especially in the last 15 years.

Yes, we are obnoxiously spoiled.  I was p---ed off for a good 2 hours today before remembering the Patriots...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 11:33:58 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

I'm not from New England, but I fell in love with Pierce, and fell in love with the Celtics then after.

Are New England fans from Boston really obnoxious? I've personally met quite a nice few and very passionate folks from that area when I visited some TD games.

That's the stereotype that I always hear.

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 11:34:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983

All this ^

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 11:48:10 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Because Celtics fans are the real deplorables.  The worst part of being a Celtics fan is other Celtics fans.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 11:51:28 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I really believe that the losing side tend to be the most loudest. If Ainge traded for Butler, the pessimism is gonna be much much worse given that there are more who prefer standing pat based on the polls.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 11:56:17 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Having grown up in Mass, but lived my entire adult life outside New England, i find the New England sports fan psychology interesting.  Ultimately it seems the need to be pessimistic to protect themselves against disappointment.  With all the success the local teams have had in the last 20 years, the attitude persists.

Don't worry, be happy Celts fans.  It's just basketball.

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 11:57:44 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Because Celtics fans are the real deplorables.  The worst part of being a Celtics fan is other Celtics fans.

You can. Root for the Lakers or 76ers then.