They are just desperate, because several things are not going their way:
1. They didn't get Lebron, George, Butler, or Kawhi in a year when they thought they'd be the most attractive team for free agents or pre-free agents.
2. Fultz doesn't look like the All-star they hoped he would be.
3. They traded Tatum and a draft pick to give their biggest rival a huge advantage.
4. They are apparently not the 1st or 2nd best team in the East. They may not even by the 3rd (Bucks), and the gap between them and the 4th and 5th (Pacers and Wizards) may not be that big.
5. Their front office has been a joke in recent years.
6. Brent Brown looks like a good coach, but he also looks outmatched against the top coaches.
7. Their roster is completely unbalanced and in need of perimeter-oriented scoring. They also can't seem to make the necessary trade to make that happen. Covington, Saric, and Simmons all play the same position.
8. They have a constant low-simmer of fear that Embiid will get injured.
9. A lot of Sixer fans really like Holmes, who they traded for nothing.
Anyway. It's not surprising that they are lashing out and taking the victim mindset.