Author Topic: Title Edit: The great Celtics are 10-3 with a healthy starting five  (Read 5770 times)

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
It was mentioned we were 8-3 with a full roster heading into the Miami game.

That means we are now 9-3 in games in which we are not missing Horford, Isaiah, Jae, Kelly, Marcus and whoever else might have been banged up. (Apparently Gerald Green is nursing a hamstring, but he's been piling up dnp-cd's anyway.)

I see next to no comments on the actual Celtics. I see mostly trade speculation or general whining of how much we suck and how we will never win another title without a fireworks trade.

It gets very stale.

Rollie is one of the only posters who starts positive threads that have to do with the actual team and players that matter. Cousins doesn't matter. If we are going to smoke pipe dreams, then maybe try for Anthony Davis?

Tonight is a huge game with implications. Each game is an epic update on the entire season. When guys were out like Isaiah and Al Horford, we found out a lot of information. Now we are getting the info for when the team is healthy.

I know this. One year we had Rasheed Wallace and he was basically mediocre at best during the year and probably worse than that. But when the playoffs happened, he became our best chance to win it all. He fell a bit short. He got too old or was too banged up once he finally woke up. Amir could be that player this year. We are going nowhere without a solid Amir Johnson.

Let's look at Amir. Of course Johnson has been underwhelming. Maybe he has felt overshadowed by Horford or this is one of the adjustments one can't merely snap a finger and voila there's your chemistry and contending. The NBA is not fast food for the impatient. It's much more complex than that. This team deserves time to grow. Negative fans are putting the cart in front of the horse. They are asking for ulcers.

I don't care about what Thomas will be asking for in two years. I don't care much about opinions that Danny must do something now. It is easy to predict what opinions will pop up after losses. It seems that this board collectively hedges its bets towards treadmill and tanking theories. That is not everyone and why I still return.

We are watching things unfold and develop. No one knows with certainty what will happen.

Maybe we are meant to take it one game at a time, but I am looking at the next three games. I expect nothing less than two out of three wins and am thinking sweep for my opinion.

We are about to have a huge home court advantage after the next two. Memphis and Indiana are also not that domineering for teams. Taking care of business will mean beating them. It will also mean winning at home against Oklahoma.

Most teams have pride. Since it is still too early for also-rans to gift wrap wins to solid opponents, I can't guarantee the three straight wins.

It is the uncertainty which makes sports fun.

Doc would point out that when we had the 2008 starters together, we were undefeated in Finals.

He was right. We finally have the current team healthy and are winning games at a top rate with a healthy roster. That should be the news.

You can't look at the Celtics as on a treadmill until seeing what they've got.

In between all the threads on Boogie Cousins to Boston, Danny sitting on the pot, Smart sucks, Isaiah should come off the bench and Horford is dramatically overpaid is the actual 2016-17 Boston Celtics.

I will continue to watch each game. I think we know what we are getting from Isaiah, Bradley, Crowder and Horford and it's very good. It's the other six guys Brad is trying to figure out.

Olynyk is on the clock. He might not be here next year or he will have a new contract and be a rotation fixture.

Rozier is emerging.

Jaylen Brown is extremely fun to watch and it's interesting to see how much he can develop in his rookie year. He is a top talent, no doubt.

There's about six hours to go before tip off. Memphis might be 18-11, but they've played five extra home games. They are at a -.3 for overall point differential. These are away games for us, but I expect us to beat both Memphis and Indiana. It is time for the C's to solidify the third seed in the East.

Ball don't lie and 9-3 don't lie. Brad Stevens' teams improving as seasons progress is not a lie.

The next two months will go by fast. The trade deadline will pass. No one can predict what Danny will do or not do. It does take two to tango. Brooklyn continues to lose games. We are sitting pretty, pretty good. Why not bask in the situation?

There is the "comments from the other side" threads after each game in which one can see what other fan bases are thinking. It's usually anonymous posters claiming they'd like to punch Stevens or another Celtic in the face or how they are watching a must loss for their tanking hopes.

We are like no other team because of the KG-Pierce trade and Brooklyn hitting the skids. Danny is keeping both options available, to let things brew like tea and to also be ready to make a big deal or sign the next big free agent.

My opinion is that too many fans do not realize how good of a spot we are in. If they could see that, then perhaps they'd have more fun following the season.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:55:57 AM by CelticPride2016 »

Re: Shouldn't the 9-3 record with a healthy team quiet down the forum?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
no. We havent beaten anyone worth caring about while healthy.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 03:06:05 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599
I think someone's numbers are off.  Not sure the source of 8-3 heading into Miami, but according to the stats I'm looking at right now from bball-reference, Thomas/Horford/Crowder have played 13 games together (9-4 record) and Thomas/Horford/Crowder/Smart have played 10 games together (7-3).

The problem is those 7 to 9 wins came against:

Brooklyn 2x
Charlotte 2x
Detroit 1x
Minnesota 1x
Sacramento 1x
Philly 1x
Miami 1x

While 3 of the 4 losses came against teams with winning records.

So the C's record with a full lineup against teams above .500 (as of today)? It's more like 2-3, with Charlotte being the only team with a winning record the C's have beaten, and they were missing Kemba Walker one game.

I'm not hating on the C's here, it's a small sample size with the injuries.  But if you only want us to consider this "9-3" record, you have to look at the level of competition too.

And no matter the C's health, losses against 1-9 New Orleans or 1-5 Washington are cause for concern.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 03:08:17 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Simply this

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 05:28:12 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

I would argue that the wins over Chicago and the Hornets (twice) are both worth caring about.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 05:32:12 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
They have a great opportunity this week to really shut-up the doubters:

Beat a good Memphis team on the road (Western Conference playoff team road win - CHECK)
Beat Indiana on the road (Eastern Conference playoff team road win - CHECK)
Beat a OKC at home (Revenge Game for blown opportunity - CHECK)

I would take 2 of either 3 but all 3 would be sweet going into the holidays.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
To the OP: you'd think so
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nah, we have a lot of master of panic types or the sky is falling guys.   We even have folks that think that we would be better with a guy who has not played a game yet for Toronto.  Like we have magic powers so guys do not get hurt, which is certainly not the case. 

So I am guessing no settling down.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 05:49:51 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I would argue that the wins over Chicago and the Hornets (twice) are both worth caring about.
eh. The second hornets win they didnt have Kemba which is similar to us being without Isaiah.

I think Charlotte is decent, but Chicago isnt great and they beat us like two days before that. We also match up really well with Charlotte.

The teams that I want to see us beat are actual good teams: GS, SAS, Cle, Tor, LAC, Houston, Utah and Memphis.

Really those first 5, but wins over Memphis and OKC in the next few days would be a great statement.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 12:50:57 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We have won three in a row, and we are in third place in the Eastern Conference.
And we have Brooklyn's first round picks for the next two years.

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 01:02:11 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
We have won three in a row, and we are in third place in the Eastern Conference.
All good, and with Mem first win over a 0.600+ team feels good too.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 01:05:42 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
Sometimes life is good. And when it is s we need to enjoy. It. Tonight's game is a case in point.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 08:29:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Boston is built for the regular season not the post season.  Until this team actually proves that statement incorrect and does something in the playoffs, there are reasons for concern.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 08:51:37 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
Boston is built for the regular season not the post season.  Until this team actually proves that statement incorrect and does something in the playoffs, there are reasons for concern.
And none for joy? We seem to watch the games for different reasons.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1793
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

There are always reasons for concern. Look no further than last year's record breaking Warriors or even the 12-2 Patriots who just sealed a first week bye in the playoffs (many think they won't win). Until a team comes out and goes 82-0 and wins every game by 50+, a fan base will always look at what their team can improve upon.

But, no, we certainly aren't perfect and hopefully Danny can address the rebounding problem before the deadline.