Author Topic: Title Edit: The great Celtics are 10-3 with a healthy starting five  (Read 5781 times)

Re: Shouldn't the 9-3 record with a healthy team quiet down the forum?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 09:07:51 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The Celts won nearly 50 games last year but lost in the first round.  They then signed a veteran all-star, drafted the #3 pick and are clearly aiming to make a big trade for a superstar.  We came into this season with big expectations and the team has not only not met them but seemed to have regressed a bit.  So it's not like fans are totally unreasonable to be a little cranky.

But it is good to get a reality check.  This is a good team of good guys with a good coach and a good GM.  We should appreciate that.

Mike

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 09:41:09 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
This is Boston. Anything short of a championship is considered failure. And this holds for all the pro sports teams. I mean, think about how the Boston radio talking heads routinely lambast BB and the Kraft family?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 09:45:48 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I don't know.  I think people are just whiny.  It has nothing to do with wanting a championship. People shat their pants in the first half of the memphis game as well.  It's one thing to criticize certain things but most people aren't capable of doing that themselves.

I'm trying to figure out demographics and I just think most fans aren't that knowledgable and fall off a cliff at the first sign of trouble.  It can look sheepish over the internet. I had to step away and just enjoy teh game like i usually do.  Teams go on runs.  It happens.

If people were falling off  a cliff like that it would be sort of annoying in reality. I don't know what the demographics are here though if it's millennials or what.

People have always been that way since the beginning of time but in person these same people would either be just as annoying or quiet down and watch the games.

What's worse is when these same people start talking ****.  I used to be nicer but some people really aren't as nice as they think they are.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:00:48 AM by walker834 »

Re: Shouldn't the 10-3 record with a healthy team quiet down the forum?
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 11:07:16 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Just adjusting the topic title.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 11:08:36 AM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
I think someone's numbers are off.  Not sure the source of 8-3 heading into Miami, but according to the stats I'm looking at right now from bball-reference, Thomas/Horford/Crowder have played 13 games together (9-4 record) and Thomas/Horford/Crowder/Smart have played 10 games together (7-3)...

I tracked down the info. Sorry for not nailing it better.

This is from a Boston Globe article:

When the Celtics have been healthy, they have been a tough out; and that’s exactly what they were this past week after Isaiah Thomas returned from a groin injury. The 5-foot-9 point guard led Boston to wins over the Hornets and Heat, improving the team’s record to 9-3 with its starting five fully intact.

While the year has gone anything but smoothly so far, the above was the basic point.

As to the quality of opponents, I recognize that you and others are correct we haven't beaten many good teams. The grain of salt must be taken for both negative and positive evaluations.

We almost beat Houston.

We are beating the scrub teams.

Memphis has quite a home court advantage when they have the refs protecting their bully ball. If basketball was combined with football, the Grizzlies would be the favorite to win everything. And Scal says he no longer understands what is a common foul, a flagrant one or a flagrant two.

I don't think the NBA needs to be turned into figure skating with no contact, but it is too long a season with injuries playing a big role seemingly every year for every team. Basketball is clearly tilted in favor of teams with the best, most strong-willed players. Maybe that has a bit to do with the refs' stars versus scrubs officiating system. Maybe it's a bit to do with basketball as boxing in which the best of the best have an extreme in-built advantage. It is a form of the rich getting richer. For this reason, I can understand why some folks are nervous and want a super duper trade to have happened yesterday.

Oh, and although we didn't play well against Toronto, we didn't get pounded. We didn't look out of their league. The same result happened against the Spurs and Cleveland. We almost beat Oklahoma and Houston.

And the rebounding problem seems to be a result of the system and is a work in progress. The Celtics like to have a guard rebound. It's not like Avery took his own initiative and has emerged as a hidden rebounder.

The 2008 Celtics weren't that good at rebounding if I remember correctly. They were very good at shooting unlike the current team.

Danny seems to be going for a mix of offense and defense. Memphis will never win anything because they are too top-heavy for defense and bullying.

We were in jeopardy last night of breaking the modern record for least scoring ever in a game.

By the end of it, Scal and Mike were discussing whether good offense or good defense wins in the end.

Memphis showed that good offense will beat them.

The Celtics showed tremendous composure last night. Memphis is incredible for defense. That felt like playoff defense.

But we kept sticking around. Memphis looked awful on offense. When push comes to shove, they basically have Gasol and Conley, and that's pretty much it. They should have had a 20-30 point lead the way they shut us down. It would get up around 17, but as the second half progressed, it became apparent Memphis cannot stop great offense.

Brad made some good decisions last night. Smart was not going to help us too much because we were behind and his shooting is clearly broken.

Smart and Crowder could easily fit into the Grizzlies' style.

Brad didn't blink and kept going to Olynyk instead of Zeller.

If Zeller can't get into games when we are being destroyed by a big center, there's just no place for him on the team. I wanted Zeller in there. I felt we needed to throw all the fouls we could at Gasol. I was wrong. Stevens was correct.

By the end of the game, Gasol looked old.

Horford looked a bit old too, but Crowder looks strong. Isaiah Thomas is clearly at the top of his game and in his prime, as is Bradley.

We need a center. Johnson and Olynyk are band-aids for what we need. Horford can't do it alone.

Smart's lousy shooting is disturbing. I will concede that is a solid worry point.

I think Olynyk is pretty good. He always looks awkward making it seem he is worse than he is. He is the opposite of graceful. But he is clearly much better at bigs defense than it looked like he would end up as.

I remember from lurking that Celtics4ever was correct from the start of the Olynyk-Sullinger era, that they just didn't look like a combination which could succeed. They were solid for offense for young players, but on defense Sully was too short and that was pre-tough guy Olynyk.

Olynyk did what he had to last night. He is active at getting steals. He had the growth spurt and it's taken him some years to get comfortable as a tall guy.

His dinosaur arms are what they are. He will never be a starting center. But when the opponents are not strong for bigs, Olynyk starts to look like Bill Walton.

Kelly Olynyk is a solid two-way player for now. I hope he continues playing well. I also want to see more efficiency with Smart. He needs to stop shooting as if he is a primary scorer.

I don't count games from 1950 when comparing teams to history. It looked like we were going to end up with 50 points total. In 1996, Miami beat Philadelphia 66-57. In 2002, the Celtics beat the Pistons 66-64.

Last night we were pitiful in the first half ending up with 31 points. We then scored 31 in the third, 35 in the fourth and 15 in a five minute overtime.

So not only was last night a signature win, it was equally impressive how it was won. We have put together some solid halves. The first half against Miami was perfect. The second half against Memphis was close to that.

Barring new injuries to top players, it feels like we are finally putting it all together and are the 50-60 win team everyone thought we had coming into the year.

When Danny goes to fortify the team, I hope he can upgrade Zeller. I don't think we need to make the big move yet. Zeller seems pointless. If Marcus Smart is a shooting guard who can't shoot, Zeller is a center who can't defend centers. Maybe Danny can trade Zeller and James Young to a Chinese team which has the role playing center we need for this bridge year. I see I wrote the name Zeller four times in this paragraph. Maybe I am able to feel positive because I am so negative towards him and Young.

And I found it funny that Gerald Green thought he was finally a big part of the team. He was standing right in the huddle during a timeout after his stint.

Green could've emerged, but he is too much like RJ Hunter. If you're a scorer, then you might want to actually hit your shots and layups. Maybe Gerald will find a role by the end of the regular season. He is like an Amir or Rasheed with NBA experience. I wasn't surprised Rozier, Brown and Smart tailed off for offense under the intense Memphis pressure.

Isaiah won us that game! Horford looked weak but somehow put together a decent performance.

It looks tough trying to integrate so many young guys into a winning team. I am like the players and can't wait for the trading deadline to pass. You can see how contracts and trading rumors can affect players. Fluctuations in playing time can affect them.

I feel a bit sorry for Gerald Green. He probably expected to be part of the rotation. We're simply better off developing Brown instead of forcing Green into a role. It was similar to when we had Humphries. He was clearly better than Olynyk and Sully, but that was a clear cut tanking season (for Marcus Smart) and Sullynyk needed their minutes.

Brad has his system. He tries to balance veterans with raw youth. He tries to be fair in figuring out who ends up in the doghouse versus who must remain as part of the core. Brad Stevens has been very stubborn with not giving up on Olynyk. He is stubborn in gutting it out with Brown. All these decisions are necessary. We are not winning anything with Green and Zeller over Brown and Olynyk. You can't play everyone. Green and Zeller are what they are and on borrowed time. Brown and Olynyk are part and parcel of the asset core. So is Marcus Smart, so he keeps getting the call to go back into the game.

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247

I readjusted it further after forced to figure out what the stat really is.

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 11:54:25 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I readjusted it further after forced to figure out what the stat really is.

Here is perhaps a more important stat:  10-7 on the road.

Folks complaining that the C's haven't beaten anyone tough need to understand this basic point about the NBA:  Winning on the road in the NBA is tough.

Right now, only 10 teams in the NBA have winning records on the road.   Last year, by the end of the season, only SIX teams had winning road records.   Home-court advantage in the NBA is a very real, very powerful thing.   

Right now, the Cs have the 5th best road record.   This is a very strong indicator of a good team, historically.   They also have had one of the rougher schedules in terms of home-road disparity, playing 17 road games to just 11 home games.

And the C's have also had one of the toughest goes of it when it comes to health and missed games, especially among their starters.  Their starting 5 have played a combined 139 minutes together.   That's way down at 27th for minutes played by a 5-man lineup.   For most teams, the starting 5 will have played over 200 minutes together by now.

So, personally, I see no reason for the Celtics to be ashamed of what their record is at this point.   
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 12:16:15 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The Celts won nearly 50 games last year but lost in the first round.  They then signed a veteran all-star, drafted the #3 pick and are clearly aiming to make a big trade for a superstar.  We came into this season with big expectations and the team has not only not met them but seemed to have regressed a bit.  So it's not like fans are totally unreasonable to be a little cranky.

But it is good to get a reality check.  This is a good team of good guys with a good coach and a good GM.  We should appreciate that.

Mike

The most level headed post I've read here in a while.  Thanks for that, Mike.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Re: Title Edit: The great Celtics are 10-3 with a healthy starting five
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 12:19:26 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
TP to mbunge
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 12:26:08 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
And thats with Amir Johnson starting..one of the worst starters in the NBA.

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 12:26:50 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2743
On a related note to the winning on he road comment, does anyone know what Scal was referring to last night when he said he knows why Bradley is a better road player than a home player and Ainge knows too, but he can't say it on air?

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2016, 12:33:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We have won three in a row, and we are in third place in the Eastern Conference.
And we have Brooklyn's first round picks for the next two years.
And if we lose the next three in a row, we may be outside of the playoffs. That's how much the record is worth at this stage.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 12:40:56 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
You can look at the season's stats or W-L breakdowns through a number of lens's but based on what I have seen on the court, I don't think they are playing as well as many thought.  I am not sure what it is.  Integrating to play with Horford (or any newly added impactful player) does take some time.

I have a new theory though that is still just a theory.  Players have tendencies and teams learn them and then are better able to defend those players.  Players then try to adjust and the back and forth chess match of sorts goes on.  I think Rondo was an example.  They figured out how to neutralize Rondo and he had a hard time adjusting.

I think the tendencies that the league has figured our are Stevens'.  As a new coach, he had some element of surprise.  Now the league is on to him and has a book on him.  The Celtics are not a super talented team and it is harder for them this season because the league has a better idea of what they are going to try to do.

I think there will be a trade or some other form of addition over the course of the season so the team the Celtics have for the playoffs may be a different team.  If not, I don't think they have enough talented size to do much in the playoffs.  It is tough to coach around that.

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2016, 12:48:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
And thats with Amir Johnson starting..one of the worst starters in the NBA.
Toronto is 20-8 with Patrick Patterson starting...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."