Author Topic: Fultz vs Ball - who is the best pg of the 2017 draft?  (Read 17955 times)

Re: Fultz vs Ball - who is the best pg of the 2017 draft?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2016, 01:59:39 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Don't do it Danny!  nooooooo.   I love Marcus's defense.

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2016, 02:06:32 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Smith and Fultz are both potential franchise players though imo.  The pgs in this draft are where it's at. Ball has the bloodlines but it would take a little extra for him to be that imo.  his game is just unorthodox but he could surprise a lot of people.

Better pick the right one too because the other guy might not be. I think Smith and Fultz are too talented to not at least reach that level of expectation though.

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2016, 02:08:44 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I think that it's very close between Ball and Fultz, but I'm a Ball fan.

Fultz is the classic great player on a bad team as Simmons was at LSU last year. Washington is horrible. They will not make the NCAA tournament, like LSU last year.

Fultz and Ball's stats are not that far off from each other except in ppg ,22.8 to 14.8. Everything else is very close.

The Kentucky game told me a lot about Ball.

Ball had a rough start heaving 3s especially. But, he came through when he needed to with some really timely plays.

He led his team to a win at Rupp, historically a difficult place to play, against the deserved #1 team in the country at the time. Kentucky has arguably 4 players (Fox, Abedayo, Monk, who I think is their best player right now and Briscoe) who are better athletes than anyone except Ball on UCLA. Leaf is a baller, but not the athlete that those 4 guys are.

It took Ball a while to adjust to this type of collective athleticism that he has never faced before in a hostile environment, all the while playing all but 2 minutes of the game. His 38 minutes was more than any player on either team, as a freshman on a team with a bunch of upperclassmen. This is Ball's team, and he led them to a win.

And really, even if you look at the stat-line for that game closely, he and Fox were not that far apart, despite the fact that Fox had a better supporting cast.

Ball and Fox are pretty close in my mind right now. Fox is an electric player, Ball is a leader and a winner.

Fultz hasn't shown either of those qualities to me yet and his opponents that his team has lost to (Yale, Nevada, TCU)  are pretty bad. At least Ball has played and won against some decent teams (KY, Mich, A&M, Nebraska).

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2016, 02:40:18 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 324
Does anyone have an issue with Ball's shot? It is not pretty.

Guys like Shawn Marion made careers without a textbook shooting stroke. Do you think there's time for him to revamp his fundamentals between the end of the season and his first year in the pros?

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2016, 02:44:23 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214
Does anyone have an issue with Ball's shot? It is not pretty.

Guys like Shawn Marion made careers without a textbook shooting stroke. Do you think there's time for him to revamp his fundamentals between the end of the season and his first year in the pros?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  It still remains to be seen if he'll be able to get off shots over NBA defenders, but until we know for sure there's no way you start changing his shot.  He might need to do work after his first NBA season if it doesn't translate well, but you don't change a 45.8% 3P shooter's stroke going in to the draft
I'm bitter.

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2016, 07:18:56 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
After Hunter I want no part of Ball.

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2016, 08:23:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 561
Don't see what Ball and Hunter have in common.  Ball >>>>>>  Hunter

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2016, 08:25:05 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The Answer is Dennis Smith JR. I'm kidding. Or, am I?

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2016, 06:15:32 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Shooting mechanics. Scorers vs Shooters. Sons of coaches being maxed out sometimes. Ect..

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2016, 09:10:13 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Shooting mechanics. Scorers vs Shooters. Sons of coaches being maxed out sometimes. Ect..

I can see the shooting stroke similarity, but Ball is a much better shooter and is more of a pass first facilitator than a scorer.  He's also a much better athlete.  Comparison fails.

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »

Offline ZoneD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Ball's shooting form limits his offensive potential in the NBA. His unorthodox shooting form will be hard to fix and I see a lot of inconsistency in his FG% in the future. That said he does everything else well. I just think that NBA defenders will be very effective in neutralizing his shot since length and athleticism in the NBA are far greater than in college.

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2016, 09:48:26 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ball's shooting form limits his offensive potential in the NBA. His unorthodox shooting form will be hard to fix and I see a lot of inconsistency in his FG% in the future. That said he does everything else well. I just think that NBA defenders will be very effective in neutralizing his shot since length and athleticism in the NBA are far greater than in college.

Why does it matter how he shoots as long as it goes in? Reggie Miller says hi

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 10:12:06 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

Kevin Martin too.

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Kevin Martin too.

Kevin Martin, Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion - group hello

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 03:22:29 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Fultz...Ball is fools gold.